Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The perfect pub  (Read 1451 times)

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
The perfect pub
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:43:02 pm »

By one of those slings and arrows etc., etc. that have dominated my working life - calling it a career would be pretentious - I find myself as temporary manager of the Yorkshire Grey, a fine Sam Smiths pub in Langham Street, Fitzrovia. I have done many things in life, but cleaning beer lines and heaving casks around at the age of 69 was beyond expectations. Thank you, stepson, for b*****ing off to India for three weeks when no company relief was available.

So much for mise-en-scene. The point is that I have just come across this essay by Orwell:

http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/essays/moon-under-water.htm

The Yorkshire Grey scores rather well, not least because it has excellent stout and, like all Sam Smiths houses, no television and no music. How does your local compare?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: The perfect pub
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:19:43 pm »

My local is the only one left now! In my village where the population is about 1200 we originally had six pubs but over the years we have lost all but one. All the other have been converted into houses! <:(
However the surviving pub, the duke, serves the best drop of real ale in the area, hosting the local micro brewery award winning beer such as Fool's Nook!  :} :-))

The best overall pub I have been to would have to be the Victory in Port Stanley! Good beer, nice atmosphere and no TV to watch!  :}
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:09:28 pm »

All the other have been converted into houses! <:(

Funny that.... My local in Finland is a converted house
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:42 pm »

Hi, I used to frequent a lovely pub, nice staff, nice tenants and good beer. Unfortunately I have a hangup over short measures ie pints 1in below the top. I complain and you could write a tragic opera with the grimaces you get when they are topping up. This also is a Sam Smith pub, so they have lost some more customers who have gone to Wetherspoons. After all if you buy a pint of milk that is what you get, a gallon of petrol, that is what you get,a pint of beer should be the same, not 7/8 of a pint. You should not have to ask for a top up. It appears to be profiteering by the back door, My views and opinion only. Nemesis

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:17:39 pm »

Funny that.... My local in Finland is a converted house

Hopes eternal that happens in the future to some of the old converted pubs in my village!  :-)) :}

It's a shame that some pubs are like that Nemisis, luckily I haven't had that problem for a long time.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:52:42 pm »

Although having the name of the hinterland north of Hadrians wall, my "local", despite being packed on quiz night has a reasonably friendly ambience with no sign of beer slinging contests but does suffer from todays disease of people not talking but shouting at each other over the background silence.
 Re the "Collar" on a glass of ale, the glass should cater for a full measure of the preferred brew plus the head. In many Yorkshire hostelries (past tense) if the glass didn't have a 3/8" (9mm) white topping it came back to be rectified.
  In one court case, the head on a pint of Black stuff constituted as part of the pint.

Strange how an increase in a couple of pence per litre of Petrol raises howls of protests, just think how much per Gallon ale costs. O0 %)

Good luck with your "New" temporary vocation Jonty, only thing that spoils the licencing trade is customers.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.