Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mya membership  (Read 4056 times)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
mya membership
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:01:15 pm »

has anybody else been experiencing the cant be bothered to send out your membership cards attitude , i paid my membership over a month ago , ive sent an email chasing it up , which hasnt been replied to from last week , ive even tried phoning the membership sec , phone isnt working . ! jon

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: mya membership
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:17:13 am »

and just to add insult , i tried phoning the chairman of the mya , who has then proceeded to have me kicked out of both the mya AND  the uk mma , seems they are quite happy at taking your money chaps , but dont dare ask when your likley to receive anything for your £11 membership cos we will throw all our toys from the pram and block you in the deal !  im now debating selling all of my class sailboats , as without the mya insurance , im not eligable to take part in any events . 

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:11 pm »

My card took a few months to arrive, but it didn't effect anything as the cards are never checked, the check happens when you register for an event.

I have met the chairman recently and he appeared to be a very nice guy. You must of really said something wrong to get that kind of reaction, it seems like you have probably burnt your bridges over something that is not really important.

Oh and £11 is nothing for the work that goes on behind the scenes and the events that are put on. Try joining a golf club and you'll understand what high fees are about.

Steve

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:38:36 pm »

join the MPBA a far superior organisation....The MYA lost a load of membership cars for me and others in the past and when some mebers contacted them they denied they had anything from me

Dave

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:48 pm »

I am not familiar with the organisations mentioned here, but I assume they are local organisations set up for the betterment of model yachting or similar.

As a member of several voluntary organisations in my area, I can identify with both sides in relation to the issues mentioned. Sometimes the wrong people finish up in the administrative positions, often because nobody else wants the job.

From the end user's point of view, membership of such an organisation can be frustrating - dealing with long delays or things not happening as/when expected. I am currently wading through an issue where this is clearly the case with one Australian  organisation that shall remain nameless.... it is like swimming in molasses.....

@ triumphjon - with respect, please don't be offended - I can only suggest that if you are unhappy with how things are running, perhaps you could consider standing for the relevant position the next time elections come around.... This approach worked for me for one group I am in... improved the group's operation and reduced my frustration levels - cost me a bit of time though.....

The insurance mentioned seems to be an issue everywhere, certainly is here in Australia - everyone is terrified someone will sue the group/organisation for some trivial matter, meanwhile the insurers are laughing all the way to the bank....

Meanwhile, go sailing - that is great for calming the nerves....  :-)

Amateur at work...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 11:04:33 pm »

The MYA and MPBA are the official UK national organisations for model yachting and powerboating, both with a long pedigree. Just for the record!

Colin

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:46:37 am »

I havent had a membership card from the MYA since the first one I had about 6 years ago.I am sure they printed something in the yearbook or in a letter some time ago saying they would no longer be supplied as a cost cutting exercise?
Mick F

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:57 am »

as it stands at present the mya have refused my membership , ive also had my micro magic membership removed , the mya claim im no longer allowed to enter any competition WORLDWIDE  . and all because after five weeks of hearing nothing from them i started to chase up where my 11 quid  had actually gone , other people who joined around the same time have had their membership packs weeks before hand . i cant see how they feel they can hide behind the " were all volenteers " bracket take our money & not provide even a membership card to prove to event organisers your actually covered to take part ? jon

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 05:09:59 pm »

As I have already said, you do not need a membership card to enter events, the checks are done through the booking in process.

I would think that perhaps you have upset them and that is why you cannot join. I would suggest perhaps a grovelling call with perhaps an apology would resolve the issues and put it down to a mis understanding.

We must always bear in mind there will always be 2 sides to the story, unfortunately we are currently only getting one side.

Steve

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:39 pm »

staeve ive nothing to grovell for , id paid my membership through the micro magic association on the 25th of march , my brother in law paid his around a week before me , his new membership pack arrived within two weeks , FIVE WEEKS  after id paid mine id heard nothing , so started chasing it up

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:44:57 pm »

Yes, but I would like to understand how you "chased it up"

Steve

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 08:57:58 pm »

chased it up initially via an email to the mya membership sec , waited a full seven days then tried to phone the gent , his phone isnt working so then phoned the chairman of the mya

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 09:19:34 pm »

Has he put it up in front of the committe to get you banned or is it HIS personal act,if I was YOU i would get Bro in law to get a copy of the minutes of the last monthly meeting wich you are entitled to see.If it is NOT minuted then it is HIS personla act wich is in contravention of MYA Rules

Dave

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:38 pm »

..... i cant see how they feel they can hide behind the " were all volenteers " bracket take our money & not provide even a membership card to prove to event organisers your actually covered to take part ? jon

I agree completely.
My comments regarding volunteers and committees were intended to be more general - clearly you have something more than that going on here.
I can only wish you the best of luck and hope that you succeed in resolving the matter satisfactorily... the suggestions re getting the formal record of the meetings would seem a good start...

Amateur at work...

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 12:48:55 am »

Have you asked the reason why you have been banned?

Steve

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 07:48:35 am »

i phoned the chairman of the mya just after 9pm on monday evening , by 945 pm my membership to both the mya and mma had been returned through the mma , and my ip address has been blocked from the mma so im not even capable of sending an email to find out what they are playing at !

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »

i phoned the chairman of the mya just after 9pm on monday evening , by 945 pm my membership to both the mya and mma had been returned through the mma , and my ip address has been blocked from the mma so im not even capable of sending an email to find out what they are playing at !

Clearly your discussion caused the problem, as he would not revoke your membership for any other reason, I mean why would he.

As I have said before I have met the chairman and he is a very nice guy, you must have really said something to offend him which caused this response. It appears you have well and truly burnt your bridges, but it is only you and him that will know what was said.

Steve

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »

Have you had contact with the MMA membership
sec? He/She is the person who forwarded your
application.
With the MYA membership applications go through
affiliated clubs/associations so surely your first
port of call should be the MMA.
Bypassing the system may have ruffled a few feathers

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 07:24:13 pm »

just to let everybody know , after a few days of uncertainty my membership of both the ukmma and the mya is sorted and im able to continue both sailing and racing !  jon

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 07:30:54 pm »

Common sense rules OK

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 08:42:01 pm »

It's as if they were reading this thread :-))

Steve

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 02:43:42 am »

just to let everybody know , after a few days of uncertainty my membership of both the ukmma and the mya is sorted and im able to continue both sailing and racing !  jon

Great news Jon!!!
No doubt you will also remain as a regular contributor on this forum as well - always good value...
Amateur at work...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.