Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy St George's Day - April 23rd  (Read 2250 times)

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
Happy St George's Day - April 23rd
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:55:51 am »

Wishing a 'Happy St George's Day' to Mayhemers everywhere, and remembering those no longer with us, who haven't been forgotten...

Saint George’s Day

St Adomnán, the Abbot of Iona in Scotland, provides Britain’s earliest recorded reference to Saint George in the 7th Century. He details the story of the Saint’s exploits, which had been told to him by a French bishop named Arcuif who had travelled to Jerusalem with the crusaders

St Bede the Venerable (c.673-735) from Northern England, also made reference to St George in his writings.

As the Crusaders returned to England from foreign shores, they brought with them tales of St George, and his reputation grew.

In 1222 the Council of Oxford declared April 23rd to be St George’s Day.

It was not until 1348 that St George became the Patron Saint of England.

In 1415, St George’s Day was declared a national feast day and holiday in England.
However, after the union with Scotland at the end of the 18th Century, the tradition diminished and since has not been widely acknowledged and is no longer a national holiday.

In 1497, during the reign of Henry VIII, the pennant of the Cross of St. George was flown by John Cabot when he sailed to Newfoundland and it was also flown by Sir Francis Drake and Sir Walter Raleigh.

In 1620 it was the flag that was flown by the Mayflower when the Pilgrim Fathers arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts. It is also the flag of the Church of England and as such is known throughout Christendom.

Traditional customs were to fly the St George’s flag and wear a red rose in one’s lapel.

The hymn ‘Jerusalem’ was sung on the 23rd April, or the nearest Sunday to that date, in churches across the nation.

St George is also the Patron Saint of Barcelona in Catalonia, Aragon, Russia, Bavaria, Beirut, Czechoslovakia, Portugal, Lithuania and Hungary, to name but a few. Virtually every country in Europe and the Commonwealth has a church dedicated to St. George.

The 23 April 1616 was also the date of the death of the English playwright William Shakespeare. UNESCO marked this historic date by declaring it the International Day of the Book.

"Cry God for Harry, England and St George!" - William Shakespeare

Info courtesy of St George's Day.com - A celebration of English Heritage and actively promoting St George’s Day on the 23rd April, with a campaign to make St Georges Day a Public Holiday http://www.stgeorgesday.com/

"Have a Great Day!"

Further St George info at - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Happy St George's Day - April 23rd
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:41:22 pm »

and a happy St George's day to you to andy and all out there.
neil.

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »

Cheers Neil,

Believe it or not, I know of someone who was today asked (by a lecturer!) why they were wearing a red rose?

They answered, "Because it's St George's Day."

The 'lecturer' replied, "Aren't you supposed to wear a Daffodil?"

Andy

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 02:55:17 pm »

HI Andy

I do think it should be a national holiday and much more celebrated than it is. Were this post to be on one of the other patrons days I am sure there would be more replies. Our English traditions do suffer from a general public apathy - I think we are losing our national identity. <:(

Dave

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:47:50 pm »

HI Andy

I do think it should be a national holiday and much more celebrated than it is. Were this post to be on one of the other patrons days I am sure there would be more replies. Our English traditions do suffer from a general public apathy - I think we are losing our national identity. <:(

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was wondering where you had been hiding for the last few days - Hope your okay.
Belated Happy 'St. Georges Day' to you, matey. However, it seems that an attempt to raise some interest in the day itself and generate a little goodwill was wasted.

Whilst I'm inclined to agree with your thoughts about the English National Day as a whole, I do think that the response on here was pitiful, for so many reasons, not least that this is a Boat Forum, and England (Britain/Britannia) is/was traditionally regarded as a maritime nation.

Bearing in mind that the St George Flag is the basis for the White or St George Ensign, flown on almost every Royal Navy vessel and at every land stations; and, that the St George Flag is also the main component of the design for the RNLI logo, wouldn't it have been great if some users had posted the odd image of their models - whether finished or not - that happened to have the appropriate flag on it.

It doesn't even matter if you're English or not. It's a traditional day that is disappearing, as the world integates and nationalities are diluted by men in accountant's suits.

Surely, these infrequent 'notable' days should be commemorated, regardless of one's own nationality. The fact they (still) exist is reason enough to be a just a little bit (more) English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Australian, American, Canadian, etc, etc, for just a few hours, once a year.

Little things are sufficient to preserve the spirit of these occasions, e.g. St Davids Day is alway Bara Brith Day; American Independance Day is celebrated with a bottle of Bud, or a J.D., and a Burger & Fries; Australia Day involves a call or message to folks down under, etc...

The Irish attitude is a perfect example - "Everyone is Irish on St Patricks Day!"

Images of food invariably (and often controversially) crop up in various threads on this Forum - Yet here was a topic that was gagging for users to show off their Fish and Chips, Cornish Pastie, Lancashire Hot Pot, Yorkshire Pudding, Bakewell Tart, Eccles Cakes, etc, but there was nowt, zip, nada,...

...and surely a cheery wish from other users to fellow Mayhemers wasn't really expecting too much, was it?

Hey Ho!, anyway, as long as everyone had a great day...

Andy

The White Ensign, aka St George Ensign, of H.M.S. 'Ark Royal'
being lowered for the final time. Click image for Video.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 07:59:43 pm »

Scout and Guide Troops all over the UK mark St Georges day on the Sunday before the actual day. We were amazed that in this hi-tec age so many youngsters get so much enjoyment out of the world's biggest youth organization. Many troops have a waiting list and are desperate for more adult leaders/helpers so if anybody wants to do something really worthwhile.......

Dave
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:02:32 pm »

just out of interest do you know if the Cornish celebrate Piran's day 5th March?

Scouts  :-))

Dave

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 08:37:38 pm »

I don't know whether the following idea is of interest or not, but it would have been the follow-up to this thread if it had received more support.

In a couple of days time, its 1st May, or May Day, an ancient Northern Hemisphere spring festival and usually a public holiday.

Mayday, is also an emergency procedure word used internationally as a distress signal in voice procedure radio communications. It derives from the French venez m'aider, meaning "come help me", and is used to signal a life-threatening emergency primarily by mariners and aviators etc.

With this being a Boating Forum, surely the obvious connection can't be ignored when potentially there is seemingly the viable basis for a Rescue, Lifeboat, Coastguard, SAR, and/or Wrecked Boat, topic of some sort?  - Mayday on May Day

Andy

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 09:17:01 pm »

it would have been the follow-up to this thread

Why not just do it anyway Andy; it might get a different response  :-)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.