Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anti fouling paint  (Read 1525 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
anti fouling paint
« on: April 25, 2013, 06:15:29 am »

I may be dumb, but I see mention of anti-fouling paint a lot. Is this a special paint or it is it a regular type of paint, I honestly don't know, thanks guys. Mick B.
Mick B.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: anti fouling paint
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:43:07 am »

Hi Mick......the name says it all usually  :o ....antifouling paints have a chemical brew which leaches out of the paint surface & poisons the marine growth ...so save the fuel bill........by reducing underwater drag.................BIG business & BIG cost per litre of paint ...................... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:18:55 am »

If you recall in days of (very) old, ships accumulated barnacles/marine growth on their bare hulls so fast they had to be scraped regularly or they lost most of their speed.  Then someone discovered that copper repels the little boarders and hulls started to be sheathed in copper.  Then copper-bearing paint was invented and worked very well until the copper leached out of the paint (usually in a year or 2 for hulls always in salt water) and it had to be repainted.  Great solution.  Yeah, it was expensive stuff.

Then along came the tree (and barnacle) huggers, and the US EPA (and probably a similar agency in Britain), and banned copper paints, 'cause they hurt the environment.  So now we have antifouling paints with some secret sauce (unknown to me) that (supposedly) works like copper but without harming the environment.  And yeah, it probably costs even more.

Is any of it needed on model boats?  No, because they are usually sailed in fresh water and only for short times.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:20:49 am »

Thank you both, it is a bad day when you don't learn anything. I never knew that until now, but it makes sense. No need for us then to put it on our boats. Mick B.
Mick B.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:11 am »

I used a nice copper spray paint on my latest boat, to simulate copper antifouling.  I don't recall the brand right now, but it looks  a lot like the real thing.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:43:13 am »

After copper "Red Lead" was the most common colour below the waterline, presumably a lead oxide.   Easy to find suitable undercoats of this dull , flat red to replicate the real stuff.
..well can you land on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.