Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Total and utter newbie.  (Read 4509 times)

tugboattam

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Total and utter newbie.
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:45:26 am »

Hi all,  My name is Ian and I live in Scotland, I recently took the plunge and bought one of these Seaport Workboats so I was delighted when I discovered this forum and it even had a section for Seaports !  Im sure in the coming days I will have questions to ask about this little boat.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Total and utter newbie.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:50:48 am »

where abouts in scotland do you haile from, Ian.
and welcome to the site.

neil.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:51:23 am »

Welcome Ian.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tugboattam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:02:02 am »

Hi Neil,  I have lived in Kinghorn, Fife for the past 40 years, My parents used to have a caravan near Kot-End so I am quite familiar with the Fleetwood of 40 years ago, is the ferry still going ?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:19:34 am »

Welcome, you have a source of bits an` pieces at Scoonies in the Kingdom of Fife.   Invest in another conventional cheap 2ch at least (or 4ch) radio and running gear, add plenty of flotation polystyrene foam blocks. Then post plenty of pictures on here :} if you are going to re-model it.  Mine is a very dirty (havent got the hang of weathering yet) Soviet era Baltic tug/harbour ice breaker/spy ship etc etc.   Let your imagination rip %%  even if it is just a different paint job.
..well can you land on this?

Mickeyfinns

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:07:34 am »

Hello from Cornwall  8) 8) 8)
SPERO MELIOR
(I hope for better things)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:23:18 pm »

Hi Neil,  I have lived in Kinghorn, Fife for the past 40 years, My parents used to have a caravan near Kot-End so I am quite familiar with the Fleetwood of 40 years ago, is the ferry still going ?

A lovely area of Scotland and yes, the ferry is still running, but not as you would remember it Ian........it's more of a butty box on water these days, and even the most basic and  inexperienced of modellers would be able to build one....just buy a tupperware box, lol.............. even my mate Trawlerman would be able to build one of these.........he'd just have to master the fact she don't carry nets, {-) {-) {-) ...

however as far as I know it is water jet drive......so beats the new lifeboat we are getting in 2015 by a few years, lol.......and here it is in all it's glory just coming out of her dock..which still IS  the same.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:52:20 pm »

Yikes Neil, that is a scale Springer waiting to happen, any takers?   More pictures if you have them please

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:09:46 pm »

Yikes Neil, that is a scale Springer waiting to happen, any takers?   More pictures if you have them please

I got that one off the net Duncan,.......if you really want some of the most ugly ferry in existance I'll go down and take some for you......just let me know neil.......

man, it's so ugly I have never taken any of her,  %% %% %% %% %%

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 04:53:13 pm »

Only if you`re passing Neil, don`t want your camera damaged.   Sheese, it is nothing like a boat, should be in the "Ugly Boat Files".  I`ll look it up on the Net, thanks though. :-))

tugboattam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 05:42:23 pm »

A lovely area of Scotland and yes, the ferry is still running, but not as you would remember it Ian........it's more of a butty box on water these days, and even the most basic and  inexperienced of modellers would be able to build one....just buy a tupperware box, lol.............. even my mate Trawlerman would be able to build one of these.........he'd just have to master the fact she don't carry nets, {-) {-) {-) ...

Hi Neil,  The dock its self brings back a host of memories but oh that ferry !!!!!  Are you old enough to remember the 3 old wooden boats that where used 2 big ones and a little one. I can remember the big ones blowing perfect smoke rings from the funnel as they went across.
       Ian.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »

Oh yes I do, Ian.....the Lunesdale, Wyresdale and Caldervale was the small one.the Lunesdale was the smoker, lol

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 09:49:58 pm »

Double ended springer?  That would be two ends with props, of course.  Wouldn't work the other way.
If you really want the ugliest thing on water, you need to head south - the electric skip with a fringe on top lives on Fairhaven Lake.
The chances are that nobody will run off with the present ferry, as happened with one of the earlier ones, because nobody will want to be pictured in it by the media.  Same thief proofing theory as applied to '70's Ladas.

Oh - welcome aboard tugboattam  There is a reason why this place is called bedlam mayhem.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 10:38:35 am »

Standard Springer hull with the fugly ferry top would do.     Re 60s Ladas,  you could leave the keys in a Trabant !!!!!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:21 am »

Standard Springer hull with the fugly ferry top would do.     Re 60s Ladas,  you could leave the keys in a Trabant !!!!!
Did they bother with keys in a Trabant - or was that the Lada keys?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 05:38:31 pm »

Your right, I think they just twisted the red and black wire together on the Trabies.  A key was considered a symbol of the decadent West.   A local entrepreneur  used to bring back a couple of them on a trailer from beyond the wall on a regular basis.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »

The ships visiting Fowey for china clay used to
have a deck cargo of clapped out ladas that the
crew bought for pennies to take home for spares

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 06:31:28 pm »

{-) A mate of mine had a Lada estate I think he paid about £200 for it,the tatiest scruffiest car you ever saw,he had it for about 10 years,
more rust than paint, I think he used for carting building material around by the state of the inside.One day it gave up the ghost and it
broke his heart, he really loved that car, most people would not be seen dead in it,beauty is in the eye of the beholder,Ray {-) {-) {-) [size=78%]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         [/size]
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 06:55:27 pm »

Your right, I think they just twisted the red and black wire together on the Trabies.  A key was considered a symbol of the decadent West.   A local entrepreneur  used to bring back a couple of them on a trailer from beyond the wall on a regular basis.

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) bet he's still stuck with them,lol %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 06:59:02 pm »

{-) A mate of mine had a Lada estate I think he paid about £200 for it,the tatiest scruffiest car you ever saw,he had it for about 10 years,
more rust than paint, I think he used for carting building material around by the state of the inside.One day it gave up the ghost and it
broke his heart, he really loved that car, most people would not be seen dead in it,beauty is in the eye of the beholder,Ray {-) {-) {-) [size=78%] 

[/size]

a mate of mine used to work for Halfway Garage in Blackpool........a Lada agency...........was sacked instantly one Saturday morning for putting an order in to HQ for a new Lada for a customer..........in Chernobyl Green %% %% %% %%

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 08:18:12 pm »

Ah the paint job that glowed in the dark %%    The amateur importer sold them all at premium rates to cranks...em enthusiasts.   BTW they dont rust, non-recyclable plastic of unknown type. {:-{
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.