Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modifications to Seaport question.  (Read 3200 times)

tugboattam

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Modifications to Seaport question.
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:40:52 pm »

I have recently bought one of these Seaport Workboats, it does what it says on the box but I do not like the pistol type transmitter. what would it take to change to a stick type, would I need transmitter, reciever, speed controler, new battery and servo ? and would they all have to match ( same maker ) ?  Plus I would need to keep the cost down as much as possible, after all the whole boat and gear only cost £44

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Modifications to Seaport question.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:37:09 pm »

Hi Ian.

How are things in the kingdom to-day. Like others you have found the seaport radio gear is sh1te and therefor its ideal for 
  conversion to standard 2ch gear.  You need as you said Tranny, receiver, rudder servo, and speed controller.  Battery choice
   a 6v 3.4 lead acid.

Take the screws out the funnels and remove, bow fender next, this now gives you clear access to the deck screws.  When you get inside un-screw everything and bin the lot.  If you want to retain the monitor function leave the wiring for the pump motor and also retain the tiller arm as it can be used.  Lose the concrete block ballast also thats it in the yellow bag.   

Have a look on Flea bay for a 10amp speed controller which is as big as you need but if you find a cheap 15-20 that will do. 

I have posted the link for cheap radio gear and the battery. 

If you use the forum search facility you will find all kinds of conversions for this model.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6v-3-4AMP-LEAD-ACID-SLA-BATTERY-FOR-RADIO-CONTROL-MODEL-BOATS-NEW-LOW-PRICE-/220918913606?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Outdoor_Toys_ET&hash=item336fcb1a46#ht_2159wt_886

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_sop=10&_osacat=140971&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5249&_sc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC0&_nkw=+acoms&_sacat=220&_from=R40

Frank 

tugboattam

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:15:47 pm »

Hi Frank,  Thanks very much thats helped a great deal. Will I need any more batteries to power the speed controller and the servo ? As you can gather Im a complete novice at this and anything to do with electronics.  Ian

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:04:30 am »

Hi Ian.
            if you get a receiver which says BEC on it that means (battery eliminator circuit). The battery elimination circut takes power from the motor battery,typically 6V or 12v and steps it down to 5V and delivers this to the reciever and servos. This eliminates the need for a second battery of the right voltage just for the receiver/servos.

You can use the one battery if you wish, or a receiver pack to power the rudder servo, speed controller and receiver which is my own personal preference as when the motor battery runs down so does the power supply to the radio gear and control of the model
 can be affected. 

posted pic of receiver battery holder takes 4AA pencells.

Frank  :P

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:05:14 am »

The battery holder shown is not suitable for boats as they
fail due to rust on the contacts in a damp environment.
A four or five pack from Component Shop (there are other suppliers)
is much more reliable.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.