Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sirmar 105ft Motor Minesweeper  (Read 2800 times)

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
Sirmar 105ft Motor Minesweeper
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:28:45 pm »

A few pics of my almost completed 105ft MMS from Sirmar.  The semi kit doesn't come with running gear so for the running gear I used a M4 shaft slimline and build a rudder from plasticard myself and used a spare skeg from the bits box that I fettled and fashioned to represent 'almost' the skeg on the plan.

The hull did require a fair bit of work to make good - the rubbing strake at the very aft most end was not symmetrical and there were quite a few rough spots and air bubbles but eventually got it to look passable. Wasn't building it to win any acclaim but thought it would be a nice fairly quick build that would be a hard wearing sail that would still look reasonable after a few knocks.

The build was fairly straighforward although from the numerous photos that I sourced there are a fair few variations on the aft end of the superstructure including different forms of 'tunnels' or open sides right aft. Not sure if my version is quite exact but its fairly close as far as I can tell to MMS 1783. But if its wrong then its wrong but it looks fine from my perspective.

Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sirmar 105ft Motor Minesweeper
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:31:53 pm »

Some tidying of the rigging and some final stanchions and then ready for final ballasting and sailing.

cdsc123

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:15:14 am »

Very nicely done, that particular vessel had the 3/4 length rubbing strips  http://www.navyphotos.co.uk/mms17831b.jpg I am building a close sistership (1772) and I modified my hull as per the 2 photos below, by cutting back the rubbing strips and increasing the forefoot (also as per the photos I have seen on the internet).

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:52:49 pm »

Yes I have that photo thanks - I had enough problems with the hull that I declined to remove the front portion of the rubbing strake and leave as was and concentrate on the other faults and imperfections.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.