Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Neptune 1941  (Read 1824 times)

Aitch

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Neptune 1941
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:46:24 pm »

Hi everyone, My name is Brian and I would like some help on a project that I am about to start. My father-in-law is the only known surviving crewmember from HMS Neptune that was sank off the coast of Malta in 1941. All hands but 1 were lost after the tragedy but luckerly my father-in-law along with five other crewmembers were sent ashore for some r&r and supplies and whilst ashore the ship was called out to intercept an enemy convoy. They were replaced by New Zealanders who went down with the ship. My Father-in-law is now 91. As a tribute to both him and his lost comrades I am building a 1/96 scale model of the ship from plans but I have never built a model ship before and I would be grateful for any help you guys culd give me. It will be a static model made mostly from balsa and plastic sheet. Please help. Many thanks. Brian.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Neptune 1941
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »

Have a look at this build of HMS Ajax, a sister ship, on the Model Boats Website.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/hms-ajax/15066

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:00:40 pm »

Hi Brian

Welcome to the Mayhem!  :-))  You'll hopefully find everything you need somewhere on here!
From my memory I remember that HMS Neptune was a Leander class Light Cruiser, sister ship to HMS Achilles, Ajax, Leander, Orion, etc. They were all armed with 6inch guns.
Are you planning to build the hull from scratch? If you want a quick fix, and some fittings to save some head scratching you can visit Fleetscale for a Modified Leander class hull, and John Haynes for some of the fittings such as the main gun turrets. Hope this helps initially!
Regards

Nick B
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »

Hi Brian.
 lots of info on line for details.
 http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_en-GBGB470GB470&q=hms+neptune
                       Frank

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:58:31 am »

Hi
It's a grand idea for the old fella. But does a non-sailing model have to be so big? They're a PITA when they're big as unless they are cased, they break when you move them plus it'll take a while to build.

I'd think about something around the size of 1:192 or 1:200. That's big enough to show detail without being too awkward to show, to get a case for and to move about. You need a perspex case to stop the dust.

By my reckoning, the 555ft Neptune would work out at 34 inches in 1:192.

But my advice before you pick a scale is make sure you can get some etched fittings for it, items like ladders, stanctions and maybe the open boats you'll need.

John Haynes built Ajax. It's a similar ship with common fittings:

http://www.johnrhaynes.com/ajaxmay22.html

Aitch

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:47:24 pm »

Hi Gents, Thanks to Colin Bishop, raflaunches,hmsantrim and Pondweed. I will look at the info you have kindly advised me to check out. Pondweed, thanks for the advise with scale.I origianally bought 1/200 scale drawings of HMS Ajax from a company in poland with a view to using those but i was having trouble getting fittings for the plans so I went to a local model boat exhibition and spoke to several guys who advised me to go larger so I started enlarging the drawings along with trying to find out the differences between the 2 ships when I received an e-mail from the Polish company advertising that they had done the drawings for HMS Neptune at 1/96, so I downloaded the pdf file to disk and took it to a local printer and as a result I have three large 72inch x 36inch drawings from which to av a go at !!!!!!. The fact that my Father in law has bad eye sight has helped me decide that it will be built to that scale. So onwards and upwards as they say...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.