Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power tool question  (Read 8943 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Power tool question
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:31:43 am »

Silly question, but I am trying to find a specific kind of power tool, but without knowing its name I am trawling Google in vain.

A small bench mounted power tool with a circular section ‘blade’ that reciprocates for cutting out intricate small shapes in thin ply with a small table for guiding the work piece. 

Fretsaws jigsaws and coping saws all have flat blades with teeth on one end, no good for tight internal curves or even corners.  It is the kind of power tool that used to be made for cutting out jigsaw pieces. 

If I can establish what it is called I will have a better chance of sourcing it, and the blades. 
Can you help please?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Trevor Holloway

• Shipmate
Re: Power tool question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:06 am »

Try Googling a "Vibrosaw".

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:24 am »

I have a scrollsaw but I don't use the standard coping saw type blades I get the special ones with the tooth wrapped around the blade for cutting in any direction, perfect for jigsaws!
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:53:32 am »

Piercing saws have a blade that can cut in all directions

Wayne

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:22:26 am »

Anyone got any any pictures please. ?

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:49:41 am »

It's called a Laser  :-))

The type of blade you are referring to was used for cutting metal mainly and was called an "Abrafile". It was made in three "Cuts", Fine, Medium and   - - - . Fitted into a standard hacksaw frame with special clips to hold the bobble on the ends of the blades. Don't remember seeing a wood version but the name may stir someone elses grey slush.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:40 am »

Always thought jigsaw puzzles were made by jigsaws before CNC and Laser Cutters  %) %) %)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:16:31 pm »

Thank you all.  At least I have now progressed through jigsaw fret coping jewellers etc, all of which appear to have flat single-sided blades.  I was just onto "Abrafile", and noting online comments as to unavailability of blades, when that was suggested.  50 years ago my Dad had a powered jigsaw, reciprocating circular blade, and a small table with a keyhole that the blade went through.  I will next check out "Laser".

If I still had access to CAD . . .   Replicate shapes and send out for laser cutting.  Simples.  However . . .

Task:  3 sections of hurricane deck.  4 mm wide surround on each (to be done in sections) from 3mm ply.
I had thought that with a powered 'abrafile' section blade and a 'shoe' table cutting would be more controllable.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 01:03:13 pm »

I don't have an answer to your enquiry, but maybe a solution to your problem.

I had a similar job once, and unable to get any sort of advanced tools easily here I did it the old fashioned way.

Cutting close to the line, and then using sanding sticks (sandpaper stuck to a stick). Not only highly controllable, it was also a lot faster than I thought it was going to be. As a result of my little discovery, I bought some Permagrit tools and had them shipped.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »

Good idea Tigertiger.  It may come to that.  O0

Les

• Shipmate
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 01:22:49 pm »

Hi Bob K

I think what you are looking for is made by Proxxon and called a "spiral toothed scroll saw blade" it will cut in any direction.

I'm sure others make the same thing but the Proxxon one is a available from Axminster Power Tools - code 504754.

Hope it helps

Les

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 02:34:54 pm »

http://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-proxxon-spiral-toothed-scroll-saw-blades-prod791632/

So can this be fitted to any scrollsaw table with proxxon compatible blade mounts?

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »

Thank you for that.  The blades (pk of 12 only) can be fitted into a 130mm hand fret frame, and will also fit this rather neat powered version - also from Axminster  . . .

Jet JSS-16 Bench Top Variable Speed Scroll Saw
http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jss-16-bench-top-variable-speed-scroll-saw-prod365272/?searchfor=100402  £106, free delivery.  Very tempted as could be a good investment for the workshop.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 05:26:32 pm »

These scrollsaws are only suitable, in terms of accuracy, on the thinnest of materials such as liteply etc. I've found that a fine scroll saw blade in a standard handheld jigsaw is much more accurate and far easier to control and use. This is just my experience. Bench scrollsaws require a lot of practice to be used efficiently. I bought a bench scrollsaw 10 years ago and its only been out of the box twice. It's still boxed on a shelf in the garage.  %)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 07:36:17 pm »

I have a powered fretsaw that pretty much does what you describe, the smallest radius is about 1mm, you just need a steady hand. mine has a sprung arm and an electromagnet under the table, wont cut your finger if you touch the blade as your finger catches in the teeth and vibrates with the blade, mine is a spiralux (shapercraft) model 1000 (the early model shown here http://www.asheilasshed.com.au/scroll.htm )
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 07:52:25 pm »

even with standard fretsaw type blades you just stand still and rotate on the spot to get tight corners, or just attack the sharp corner from two sides by cutting across the sharp radius then going back to do the corners, mine will go a lot tighter than jigsaw pieces on a standard flat blade.
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 08:10:37 pm »

Grendel

Timo2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:26 pm »

Hi All

Scroll / Fret saw blades possibly the hardest blade to use but good fun  {-)

=   [size=78%]http://www.shesto.co.uk/Hand-Tools-Saws-&-Saw-Blades-Olson-Scroll-Saw-Blades/c227_84_116/p1726/Olson-Spiral-Scrollsaw-Blades/product_info.html[/size]

Timo2

a old tool dealer
Just a Buoy at heart

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 09:14:26 pm »

Good info.   :-))

Please excuse me if I try to explain my problem with hand fretsaws / jigsaws. 

The hand held version requires you clamp the work (to something like a Workmate) then after limited operation to have to keep reclamping the work as you can only rotate the saw frame so far, without undoing the blade clamps.  In addition a Workmate is a lot lower than a workbench, so to keep visually checking the blade stays vertical it often ends up me having to kneel.  (Painful !!!)

It just seems that having a powered circular-section blade at a practical height, that stays vertical, and you can rotate the work piece instead, seemed a much more comfortable scenario for getting accurate results. 
Grendel's saw photos looks superb.

PS:  I have an airbrush which only comes out about once a year but I have found it invaluable.  OK, that took a while of practice too.

catengineman

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 09:25:08 pm »

A ceramic tile saw blade is round and robust enough to be used in any direction, I have one in a std hand use fret saw frame but would think that it could fit into a reciprocal saw machine

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 09:36:53 pm »

Bob, pm sent
all in all its just another brick in the wall......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.