Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sea sick....  (Read 4528 times)

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
Sea sick....
« on: April 19, 2013, 06:00:27 pm »

I think like the rest of us,"Green with envy"but on a note from Mick f ,been there,done that you forgot to say "GOT THE T-SHIRT" lol.

baloo

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
Re: Re: Shannon
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »

I think like the rest of us,"Green with envy"but on a note from Mick f ,been there,done that you forgot to say "GOT THE T-SHIRT" lol.

baloo

Probably the stuff was on it  %% %%

Just on envy, how many peeps have actually been seasick and how would you describe the feeling  :o

I'll start first and say, as crew, I've been sick more times than enough and it's orrible!! I'm okay after I've hoofed it it all up but that feeling I find hard to describe to swmbo.

Declan

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:40:14 pm »

I've been seasick for three days non-stop whilst on a yacht crossing the bay of Biscay. It got so bad my stomach was empty and I was still wretching and bringing up bile, the pain and discomfort was unreal. I actually felt like getting of the boat and into the liferaft but of course that would have made things worse but that's how it affects the mind. Seasickness, as you say, is difficult to describe to someone who doesn't suffer from it but I have full sympathy for anyone who does.

That was thirty years ago and I never gave up on going sailing and still enjoy the odd trip around the Greek Isles.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:50:46 pm »

it's strange, that the older I got the less sea sick I became when going on water...........as a kid, I could throw up on a rowing boat on the lake.................now adays it never bothers me...............is it, as some say.........a state of mind.........."you think you are, therefore you do???"

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:13 pm »

Yep, I think you're right there Neil

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 09:43:31 am »

Yep, I think you're right there Neil
There's hope for me then..  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Declan

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:50:33 am »

never been seasick in my life,but I have been sick at sea a couple of times!As a one time sufferer of Migraine,very strong sun used to affect me with a headache.If I was sick,the headache started getting better.
I proved the point that it was not seasickness or the nicer sounding mal de mer,by eating me sarnies soon after.
Mick F

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05:45 am »

never been seasick in my life,but I have been sick at sea a couple of times!As a one time sufferer of Migraine,very strong sun used to affect me with a headache.If I was sick,the headache started getting better.
I proved the point that it was not seasickness or the nicer sounding mal de mer,by eating me sarnies soon after.
Mick F

Hmm.. Interesting. I'm fine after I'm sick. Even go to the anchor locker when doing anchoring and if yer going to be sck, that one place that will ensure you do  {-)

After suffering awful headaches for years, I discovered accidentally when going through lifeboat medical that I had high blood pressure. After going on meds, headaches have all but stopped. Pity the bl**dy seasickness didn't all but stop. Doesn't happen all that time but enough to make me query being a possible navigator. Will see how things go over the next year  :-))

Declan

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:35:52 am »

No never
0400 on a 4 tonne fishing boat at Wollongong harbour on a Saturday morning preparing for a 15 km voyage to go long line fishing  >:-o
Eat five Vegemite sandwiches & a cup of tea before we cast off  %)
0400 on a 4700 tonne HMAS destroyer @ 30+ knots into a jolly green sea 80km off the coast O0 to check a gun or missile launcher.........
Eat five Vegemite sandwiches & a cup of tea  :-))
Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 11:02:31 am »

This subject is now becoming sickening <:(  May I politely request that we all please revert to the topic of Shannon Lifeboat? Thanks :embarrassed: ;) {-) {-) {-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
SEA Sickness
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:10:12 am »

A new topic close to all our hearts.

Anyone been sea sick ?

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: SEA Sickness
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:16:27 am »

When rough for the first 48 hrs.
Not brilliant for Ships Engineer!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:39 am »

I suffer with it,  so am now land based.  I found out half way across the Altlanic whilst sitting in the ships theatre watching a film.   Horrible .............. O0

Seems the only cure is to sit under a tree.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:23:18 am »

Henry Blogg......most famous lifeboat Coxs'n in history suffered from it.................so even the greats do.......no need to be worried Kenny {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:30:12 am »

No never
0400 on a 4 tonne fishing boat at Wollongong harbour on a Saturday morning preparing for a 15 km voyage to go long line fishing  :-o" src="http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/Smileys/Tug/angry2.gif">
Eat five Vegemite sandwiches & a cup of tea before we cast off  %)
0400 on a 4700 tonne HMAS destroyer @ 30+ knots into a jolly green sea 80km off the coast O0 to check a gun or missile launcher.........
Eat five Vegemite sandwiches & a cup of tea  :-))
Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:49 am »

I suffer with it,  so am now land based.  I found out half way across the Altlanic whilst sitting in the ships theatre watching a film.   Horrible .............. O0

Seems the only cure is to sit under a tree.

ken
having never suffered sea sickness i cant coment. but would like to ask ken if he found a tree in the middel of the atlantic  :} lol
you only get one childhood so make it last all your life.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sea sick....
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 12:00:01 pm »

I was seasick during the first hit of rough weather on every ship (tankers) I joined. After that first baptism by technicolour yawn I would be ok for the rest of the trip - - something to do with getting my sea legs back perhaps?

The worst bit was having to keep working in the hot oily engine room whilst retching on empty guts.

One rough run up the North sea ended at Grangemouth, I went ashore with the gangplank and felt better within seconds!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »

Seasick, no. Sick of the sea? Oh yes.
Jerry.

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 12:59:06 pm »

I can still to this day remember the first time I was seasick.   I was 14. Everything was going brilliant whilst out pot hauling with my uncle just east of Hook Head in Co Wexford in Southern Ireland.  I was hauling away and baitin then he decided to stop for a tea break. Out came the sarnies and the tea and along with it my guts.
It wasn't the sarnies that did the damage as they were lovely.  It was the bl**dy black tea!!  >>:-(

Don't know why the tea made me heave but he wasn't best pleased having to go back in and deposit me onto the harbour steps. Never prayed and kissed as much stone/concrete since that day  :-X

Declan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 02:09:06 pm »

I have never been seasick but have felt queasy one or twice, notably when sitting below on a bouncing yacht (OK when I lay in the bunk though) and once when I was trying to clear a snarl up on the roller reefing drum after the foresail had done something it shouldn't - the bow was really pitching up and down.

I do think that just about everyone is susceptible to sea sickness though, it's just a matter of at what point you succumb.

Interestingly, RN research indicated that it isn't the rolling that causes it but the pitching and that is one reason that later designs of destroyers had the bridge set further back to reduce the motion. A couple of years ago my Wife felt ill on the QM2. Our cabin was well forward so in a sense we were near one end of a giant see saw and the vertical motion must have been quite considerable, you could certainly feel yourself becoming alternately light and heavy. Back aft in the restaurant the motion was scarcely noticeable as it must have been pretty much at the fulcrum - which is no doubt why it was put there.

Colin

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 02:32:57 pm »

Back aft in the restaurant the motion was scarcely noticeable as it must have been pretty much at the fulcrum - which is no doubt why it was put there.

Colin

Strangely the weirdest sensation I had was on the Sea Pussy from Dun laoghaire in Dublin across to Holyhead to pick up a relief lifeboat for the station. Head and mid torso was fine but legs and feet felt weird. The other guys were laughing as it was my first time actually on the Sea Cat. Once the Captain had it on automatic pilot, the constant altering of the jetdrives give the impression of a strange dance as my legs and feet were going to and fro with the motion of the vessel. After coming back with the lifeboat, the following week wasn't much better. Every time I started walking, it felt like I was walking on something spongy.

Declan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 03:48:24 pm »

Yes, the catamaran fastcraft can have an unpredictable and often unpleasant motion which earns them the soubriquet of 'vomit comets'.

Conventional craft have a more regular motion that is easier to adapt to.

Colin

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 05:27:19 pm »

Nearest I got to being seasick was on a yacht delivery trip across Biscay  in a force 9- but I was fine as long
as I was on the wheel or in my bunk  but SWMBO was down in the galley cooking up a seriously hot curry and didn't seem
to be bothered at all.  Mind you the rest of the crew were really suffering.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 06:31:10 pm »

Never suffered from it, the worst weather was a F9 gusting 10 in the English Channel in quite a heavy sea in a 34 footer, we turned it into a submarine twice :-)

SWMBO on the other hand gets seasick in a glass-bottomed-boat, according to the kids she was asked not to go on that boat again :D
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 07:21:54 pm »

my wife had the misfortune to be landsick, after our 3rd day of cross channel trips - some in quite rough weather, sh was fine in the car as long as it was moving, but as soon as we stopped she felt queasy - took her 3 days after we got home to stop feeling queasy - now me - I only get seasick if its calm, usually if I get a whiff of diesel while boarding, give me rough and I'm fine.
Grendel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.