Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords Rattle Cans.  (Read 3132 times)

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Halfords Rattle Cans.
« on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »

Hi everybody, couple of questions for you all. I am now about to spray my model boat using Halfords spray paints. The hull is made of plastic / ABS type material. The hull has been filled with car body filler and sanded smooth with 240 grade wet and dry used wet.                                                                     

1  What grade of wet and dry shall i work up to (600, 800,1000 etc ) before I apply the primer?                                                                                       
2  After i have applied the primer what grade do I use before I put on the top coat?
3  One of the coats of paint will be gloss red, is grey the right colour for undercoat?
4   The plastic deck will be left in grey primer, do i need to apply any varnish / lacquer afterwards to protect the primer or leave as is ( prefer the Matt look anyway).             

Lot's of questions I know but hope to hear from all you experts out there,
Regards,
 Dave.

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Halfords Rattle Cans.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:21:50 pm »

Spotted your thread whilst browsing and was surprised at the lack of response.
I am pretty much a beginner but;
Primers and car body fillers are generally porous and should be rubbed down dry rather than wet.
If you leave the deck as primer it may well stain for the same reason.
I tend to use 400 grade on a bare hull and 600 before the first topcoat. If I am lucky I use 1200 grade before the last coat although it's not very good for removing flies!
Grey primer should br OK for a red topcoat.

Hopefully an expert can chip in and correct my errors. Or you could read Stavros's guide.

Regards
Keith
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:54:52 pm »

Hooray :} Some one actually replied!!! Cheers for that Keith, the answers are very helpfull. I will probably satin ( clear ) the deck as like you say matt undercoat does tend to show up any marks / stains. So 600 grade on the undercoated primed hull before the first colour coat and then 1200 before the last colour coat? Thought grey would be OK for undercoat for red on top, you confirmed that thanks. Once again Keith, thanks for your help :-))  Regards, Dave.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »

Sorry but I missed this havnt you read what I posted in the Paint section FULL GUIDE there  O0 O0 O0

No need at all to put any varnish at all on a plastic hull to protect the grey primer,stains will Not show through

Dave

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 09:03:08 pm »

Yes i did Dave but being a bit new to all this i still was'nt sure about a few things. Good guide by the way Dave,  regards...............er another Dave,

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:25:28 pm »

Regarding the colour of primer question, each topcoat rattle can has a label on the lid stating which colour primer gives the best results.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 09:53:59 pm »

Primer colour really doesnt matter to be honest with you lets face it grey is the most readily available primer on the market.It is Totally different in the automotive industry as we can tint the primer to a colour of our choice.

Dave

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:49:41 pm »

Thanks again to you all for your help. The plastic deck i want to grey paint is self coloured green. I want it grey so as i didn't want a gloss finish i thought of using grey primer but some people ( including myself ) thought that it might show up scratches / water stain marks if left unprotected?  Allso, can anybody suggest a rattle can matt spray so i can tone down the other gloss finishes i will be using?  Thanks again, regards, Dave.

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 11:03:03 pm »

Dave just prepare it like the guide states and just use GREY primer,of course if you scratch it it will show but hey ho it doesnt matter what matt spray you use it will be the same.As regarding water staining then I have never had a problem with it.

Toning down the gloss level....Well as you will be using rattle cans then the only way I cna see to do it is to give plenty of coats of paint rub down with 2000 grit wet dry and dont go mad polishing it up.A lot of the varnishes that are available can Yellow with age.

The other way of doing it if you want a Matt finish is to ask in Halfords for them to mix you a base colour....A base coulour is available in either Meatlic or a solid colour and it need a laquer over it to give a gloss....just  athought

Dave

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 12:32:49 am »

Thanks again to you all for your help. The plastic deck i want to grey paint is self coloured green. I want it grey so as i didn't want a gloss finish i thought of using grey primer but some people ( including myself ) thought that it might show up scratches / water stain marks if left unprotected?  Allso, can anybody suggest a rattle can matt spray so i can tone down the other gloss finishes i will be using?  Thanks again, regards, Dave.

Dave,

I'm curious, why do you want to use Halfords Rattle Cans if they won't provide the finish you actually want?

I don't know whether you are aware of this, but you can get paints mixed and supplied in rattle cans to your own specification. Therefore you can request whether you want it gloss, satin, or matt. It would also be far easier to do future repairs or touch up's in the event of a mishap, than tying to replicate an unorthodox process to tone down a finish.

With regard to using primer for a satin or matt grey finish (or other colour for that matter), I seem to recall a thread on here (within the last few weeks) where someone was trying to touch-up a model which used primer as a finish coat. I'm afraid I can't remember the model, and I can't remember if it was Grey or red Oxide primer, but I seem to remember from the various replies, that the primer mixes weren't being manufactured to a consistent shade, whereas finish colours were (obviously). A factor that is worth considering as it has an impact on any future remedial work.

Also, bear in mind that any primer/undercoat won't be as durable as a finish coat, and therefore, does increase the likelihood of 'touch-ups'.

If you've already got some paint, you could paint a few test pieces and see how it stands up to a bit of thumbnail abuse before attacking your model...

Andy

Ha ha! Late Update - I just found the thread I referred to (above), it's called 'Matching Halfords primer' at http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42166.0.html
The second reply from 'craggle' (Craig) may be of interest as he has experience of painting a tug in Halfords grey primer and adding a satin clear on the top. Might be worth a PM.
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.