Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAN LOW CHARGE LEAD ACID BATTERIES CAUSE ISSUES WITH SERVO AND RECEIVER?  (Read 2416 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!

Right got a few problems with my springer, the ESC popped, replaced with a perkins marine, issue I now have is that I cannot get the RX to work properly. I keep getting a green light then a red light, the rudder servo keeps fitting and the motor runs slow and then stops. Cannot get the TX to do much at all. The AA batteries are all okay and charged, the two 12v lead batteries have been left to charge but not sure if they are. Have ordered a new 6v-12v charger as I noticed the old charger had a frayed wire, but just wondered if there is not enough juice in the batteries would this cause all the issues or has the RX, servo etc blown too?
I also have bought two waterproof inline fuse cases, where do I place these, is it between the positive on the motor and the ESC, or motor and the battery? One Fuse case per boat I may add. Also what rated fuse should I fit? These will take up to 30a I was thinking a 10a.

Any help appriciated guys.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Si.
 Ideally you need a battery tester, this just shows you how much juice you have in the battery nowt to do with voltage.
 Find some cheap ones on flea bay. As I don`t know what amps your battery is I can`t say if you have had it charged for the correct time
but usually it goes 0.5amp per hour charge time so a 12v 4ah would take 8hrs to charge.  From what you are saying sounds like the battery has not charged but you have no way to know this.  If your charger has screws in the casing so that it can be opened I could rewire it for you. if the casing is moulded its a bin job.
 if you are using a 12 battery on the receiver I will assume its a BEC receiver or it will go pop..

Frank.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

I have looked at the charger and it could be repaired, I have ordered another anyway. The batteries I am trying to charge are 12v 2,9Ah. As to the receiver it comes on when the you flick the on switch on the ESC. As you can tell I am new to this and still finding out things. Thanks for the info, much appreciate it.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer

A multimeter helps.  You can see what voltage the battery has, both at rest and under load.  Any noticeable change means that the battery either has poor charge, or is unable to deliver.  Even the cheapest digital one will do the job.
The answer to the heading question is YES.  If the battery cannot supply the demand of the load, the voltage drops suddenly when the load is applied, quite apart from the slow voltage drop that happens as the battery discharges in normal service.  imagine the fuel tank and line on your car - if you clamp a mole grip on the fuel line it might tick over OK, but put your foot down and it will stop due to fuel starvation.  Without the mole grip, driving around, the fuel in the tank will reduce.
A dud charger can fail to charge, if it fails to charge over a long enough time, the battery can spoil itself and might not come back to life even with a good charger.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Stan

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Simon see you Sunday. Sounds like the radio system is very similiar to Tamco. Instructions for this set are very poor.Will check out channel postions for this radio  and see you at the weekend.

Stan. :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

Thank you for the info. See you Sunday Stan.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

Hi guys, with Stan's guiding hand-so to speak-I have sorted out the problem. Batteries are fine, tested in the barge. New charger works a treat so no more worrying if they be charging or not. The RX and TX are working fine, tested those in the barge and they all worked okay. Turned out to be a faulty rudder servo, tried another and all is well.

Big thanks to all for comments and advice.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

Good to hear Eddie,
It just shows that in most clubs there are a few guys who will go the extra mile to help less experienced members.
All part of a wonderful hobby.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

Certainly worth the club membership Ned, great advice and a friendly smile, what more do you want?  :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.