Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another H & S Issue.  (Read 7037 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Another H & S Issue.
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 11:33:06 pm »

Before this goes too far-

I helped write the Wicksteed Park MBC RA and whilst its not the most in depth version for every little possible incident that could occur, it has been accepted by Wicksteed Park management and they even asked us to add a small section regarding emergency services. The version you see displayed at the lake is dated and signed, and the renewal date is also stated, the version on the website is just for viewing on the website. The one by the lake is the important one and legally the one we have to display.

However, I do agree that Health and Safety has gone mad over the past few years. Where I work requires me to wear a bump hat whilst I'm working on the aircraft but if I want to open the hangar doors I have to put on a hard hat! The reason... In case sticks from birds nests fall on to us! %%
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 11:56:49 pm »

the most dangerous part of the day at mayhem at wicky would be travelling by road to the event, and if we honestly looked at the risks  like the 'elf and safety brigade' would want us to - then  half the attendees would never set foot away from home !!!

Or looking at Martin's shirt without suitable eye protection  ;D
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 11:58:51 pm »

Having been at work when the 1974 Health and Safety Act was passed.
It was designed to reduce risk while carrying out the process.
I have watched it change from a reason to carry out a process safer till now it is a reason to not carry out the process.
It has little to do with the "Compensation Culture" but everything to do with the fear of the compensation culture.
Once fear is used as a reason common sense goes out the window.
Also I have seen Fully Trained Safety Officers replaced with lesser trained ( and cheaper ) replacements after all the Risk Assessments and COSHH was complete.
So it could be in the incumbent Safety Officers best interests to ensure that their services are required.

Bob (Ex H S rep and Shipboard Safety Officer)
Officially a GOG.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 12:11:51 am »

I helped write the Wicksteed Park MBC RA and whilst its not the most in depth version for every little possible incident that could occur, it has been accepted by Wicksteed Park management and they even asked us to add a small section regarding emergency services. The version you see displayed at the lake is dated and signed, and the renewal date is also stated, the version on the website is just for viewing on the website. The one by the lake is the important one and legally the one we have to display.

However, I do agree that Health and Safety has gone mad over the past few years. Where I work requires me to wear a bump hat whilst I'm working on the aircraft but if I want to open the hangar doors I have to put on a hard hat! The reason... In case sticks from birds nests fall on to us! %%

Without being a wet blanket, all that means is they have passed the buck to you and will refer, hang their hat on your assessment, as their defence against any action for liability.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 12:23:36 am »

An aside.

Recall, one project where the OH&S guy was giving everyone unnecessary grief.

This guy was a chain smoker and smoking was banned for OH&S reasons, health etc.

After a while, we put it to him that he had a conflict of interest, namely his smoking.

New OH&S guy, problem solved, project back on track. :-))

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 12:36:11 am »

Well done Nick, and to WPMBC.  As a qualified safety officer for a major sports organisation for many years I did these all the time.  Both WPMBC and the Park have covered the minimum bases.  OK, ideally it should be done on the standard multi column format, but the important thing is that reasonable care has been demonstrated and documented.

I agree that some 'safety officers' do not understand and pad it out with uneccessary waffle that obstructs the principles rather than assure them. 

Reasonable care does not include wearing scuba gear in case you fall in the lake or being abducted by aliens, things that can turn H&S into newspaper jokes.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 12:47:44 am »

Reasonable care does not include wearing scuba gear in case you fall in the lake or being abducted by aliens, things that can turn H&S into newspaper jokes.

Very true.  :-))

Scuba gear is totally useless for alien abduction, you're much be better off with an Anti-Radiation Suit and a Blaster.

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 03:03:50 am »

%% O0  .......................Derek

[font=]Click on the link ....[/font]
 http://www.safeshare.tv/w/kRRyGqbZGQ
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »

ok2 diving equipment is handycapant if my neighbor who takes away

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 12:07:06 pm »

Derek,
They didn't use a rope as the risk assessment was he might get strangled so digging him out was safer %% %% O0 {-) {-)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 12:23:35 pm »

I once used h&s to my advantage, I was informed that I had to wear a tie for work, I responded with a risk assessment of our very old eagle anatech plan scanner (one of the first 40" width plan scanners ever - cost £250,000) and the pinch rollers that grabbed the plan to transport it through, when I pointed out that if a tie went into the pinch rollers, even I did not have long enough arms to reach the off or reverse button, they backed down.
when we scrapped this scanner I wish I had saved the 12 cameras that made up the sensor array, I did have a 4 foot section of the frame - 2"x2" square steel tubing 3/8" thick, you could have driven a tank over this beast and it would have carried on running - though the camera alignment process was a three day event, aligning and focusing the cameras)

Alan R

• Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 04:19:54 pm »

Hi
I remember back in 1962 after the first couple of months of my apprenticeship ( which in those days was 5 years ) we were all taken to London for the afternoon to visit a museum, run by, I think it was the factory Inspectorate who at that time where responsible for factory safety. I seem to remember it consisted of 2 areas, one was a vast collection of photographs of various factory accidents and the other was an area which had various machines set up as they were after an accident had happened.
There were 3 that I still remember to this day. The first was a radial arm drill with a 2inch morse taper drill fitted with a mass of blond hair splattered with fake blood and bits of skin rapped round it. The second one was a centre lathe with a shaft running between centres and the sleeve of an overall and again fake blood and skin wound round the shaft. The third one was a capstan lathe with a casting in the chuck and a tie rapped round the casting again with fake blood and skin. Our instructor who was an old school foreman complete with bowler hat told us if we did not what to finish up like that lot, use that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thing between your ears every time you do anything connected to using machinery. And to this day I have never forgotten that visit and the advice from our foreman.
All the best.
AlanR 
All the best
Alan R

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 04:45:20 pm »

It is a scary issue and it is all down to blame. Who can we blame if something goes wrong, the safety guy the organisers etc etc. Of course we should have a sensible approach to make sure that trip hazards, cables and what-have-you are safe and not going to hurt anybody but responsibility as a individual being a berk is secondary, if folk are that stupid then that is their fault, all this H&S is making our youngsters hide behind rules and then when it goes wrong to sue...use ya chuffing ears and eyes. Many years a go a young lad thought it was cool to mess around on garage roofs, of course he fell through and broke his neck...the local council got the blame but the lads mother said something rather profound having just lost her son..."The blame lies on one person alone, my son, he shouldn't have been on the roof and was told about it, he was punished for disobeying us but still sought to climb on the roof, it is a very sad loss but the only person at fault is my lad." I still remember this and the council put signs up regarding the fragile roof. But although the lady was in anguish she blamed her son not the council or the roof maker or the trainer makers for making the trainers sole have a super grip...she also blamed herself. Should we all never leave our homes for fear or offending someone or hurting someone in a accident and therefore being sued. Madness.7

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 06:24:19 pm »

>>:-( I also was an apprentice in the early 60's, ours wasn't a field trip to the museum but an afternoon in the C.E.G.B. training centre cinema
watching some very graphic films on what happens to people working with electricity including some very burnt corpses,frightened the life out
me and made me rather sick,made us all very careful after that,  we are responsible to make sure that what we do is safe,we only have one
life so look after it,Ray. :-)) :-)) [size=78%]        [/size]
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:20 pm »

Unfortunately I didn't get to see films or mockups but as a young bobby I had to deal with the
aftermath and then the families then do the report for the coroner's inquest.  Forget the blood and
gore the worst bit was having to tell the family that the son or hubby that went out the door that
morning, would not be back.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »

I suppose it can be said that we are in this predicament, because of the weakness of politicians in allowing legislation that allows the suing for all and everything, not to mention insurance companies, who insure for all and everything.
When it gets to court it is not a matter of right or wrong, but how much blame can be attributed to all concerned, as no one is 100% blameless
After all, they are insured aren't they, so take the risk and if it goes wrong insurance will pay up.

When the only insurer was the Government, these types of accident claims were few and far between and were legitimate accidents, not stupidity and carelessness.

Ah the bliss of living in an enlightened society, which can only improve.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.