Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Boat where to start?  (Read 1460 times)

Ogtinc

• Full Mayhemer
  • A bit nuts
Old Boat where to start?
« on: May 01, 2013, 04:54:30 pm »

Hi all,

I have taken on what I'm optimistically hoping is a small project and could do with some advice.  Here's a photo of the boat:

Bought it today but not sure if it's in working order or not.  First problem is I haven't got a battery that fits, as I just have the kind that fit into the normal battery connectors.  Here's a photo of the battery connection inside the boat:

It seems all the connections that I have on batteries have only male connectors so a bit lost there.  Once I can get a battery in that fits what should I check for inside if it doesn't seem to be responsive?

I really appreciate any help as I know between you all there must be everything you need to know about boats.

Here's some more photos if it's any help:

Thanks again,
Ben

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Old Boat where to start?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:32:03 pm »

I would swap out the receiver battery pack (The 4xAA unit) for a 4 cell rechargeable pack.  Reason being those battery boxes don't like the damp and that can cause problems..... loosing receiver power is certainly something you want to avoid

Looking at the state of the wiring I would probably rip it all out and start again

Cannot see any speed controller in there either
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:51:10 pm »

First off, make sure the prop/motor turn.Second off I would want to know about the motor.  Does it work? What voltage would it like? How much current will it pull?
There might be a label on it giving clues.  It might have wiring going to a battery box - that will tell how many cells and therefore give a rough idea of the original intended voltage at 1.2 or 1.5 volts per cell.  Hook the motor up to that voltage, see what happens.  Keep the prop away from fingers and polished table tops.

Have a closer look at the radio.  For a type of boat that only needs basic control, there's an awful lot of channels, likely only channels 2 and 3 are used for power and steering.  The previous poster suggested starting over with the wiring.  He has a good point.  If it gets fitted with an ESC with a BEC inside it, you won't need the RX battery box.  Have a read of the top post in the "Black Arts" section.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Ogtinc

• Full Mayhemer
  • A bit nuts
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:18:59 pm »

Great, I'll maybe try the gear from my other boat etc to see what works.

Thanks for the tips guys :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.