Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: pc world  (Read 5795 times)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: pc world
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 09:28:33 pm »

:-)) My one is a ford keyfob and I changed it O.k. takes two mins,got batteries in Maplins £3.99 for pack of 2, cheaper than Halfords,Ray. :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 11:12:22 pm »

I have changed batteries on a volvo fob, with no adverse effects.
I would reccomend not leaving it for ages with the battery out, I think mine only took a few seconds (2000 volvo v40)
Grendel

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »

Tug - what Grendel says - do it within a couple of minutes - some manufacturers give you about 5 mins
and it usually a simple job. I have had to change mine about 4 times in the18 yrs I've had
the Rav 4.  The problem I have is when you disconnect the car battery then you have to do
things in a very specific order or the engine won't start again
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 10:56:49 am »

PC World spent a lot of time trying to become a cross between Staples and Toys R Us, and now, since moving shop, can be mystified by a wider range of products than before.  If I need a complete new box, I will go for a look, but if looking for add-ons, I tend to go to the on line stores like Saverstore and CCL.  Prices are very keen, delivery times often amazing.

The only problem I have had with changing a car battery was that the radio forgot its coding immediately, and needed redoing, but that was a Renault from the past century, so there has been plenty of time for the manufacturers to make life more difficult in the name of improving security.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »

>>:-( I would not go to P.C. World anyway I had a bad experience with them,my daughter wanted a new computer so off we go to P.C. World
and pick out one,when we get home we opened the box and set it up,screen lit up and ping screen goes out again dead as a dodo,back we
go to the shop, the assistant tells us that it will have to repaired as it has been used and that will take up too 2weeks,I explained that how
can it be used as it did not work in the first place and ask to see the manager,after some heated talking I got my money back,went and
got one in Sainsburys,Ray >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( [size=78%]  [/size]

It often pays to brush up on your consumer rights before taking something faulty back. Presuming you are in the UK, the assistant told you a load of bull.

As the item was brand new, the Sale of Goods Act means it must be of merchantable quality ie working. Further, if a fault arises in the first 6 months, the SoG Act deems the fault was present at the time of purchase. The fact your machine didnt work 'out of the box' proves this.

They should have given you a new replacement or your money back. They clearly assumed you didnt know your consumer rights.

Glad you got it sorted though.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 02:35:11 pm »

As an aside to your letter about Key Fobs.

My battery is becoming touchy and I wondered if the battery could be changed without disturbing the system.  By this, I mean, is the memory wiped when you take the battery out, or is it safe to do so.

Thanks for listening

Ken

You can normally change the battery in a car key fob. Your handbook should tell you what size it is. However, you normally have to take the old battery out and put the new one in quite quickly (about a minute, again your handbook will advise) otherwise yes, you can lose the ability to lock \ unlock the car and maybe even start it. Then you may need to have the dealer reprogram it which could be expensive.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 03:11:56 pm »

Also be careful of the trasnsponder chip in some remote keys.... its a little thing that can fall out easily

Here is pic of what I mean.
The key has to be pulled apart using a fair amount of force and the transponder just sits in a slot inside.
I managed to launch mine accross the room

Very expensive to replace as they need to be reprogrammed by a main dealer
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.