Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My boat smokes! :)  (Read 1478 times)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
My boat smokes! :)
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:08:02 pm »

Just wanted to say my steam tug now smokes.  :-)

Fitted a steam master unit to it and very impressed I am. Okay, it's not the cheapest way to make smoke or more accurately, water vapour but it is the easiest and most user friendly way. It comes with a circuit board that converts your supply voltage into the 24v required for the mister unit and there are 4 modes to choose from for different smoke patterns.

Once fitted and a chimney pipe run into the funnel it works extremely well. I had a small problem with it initially in that the full water buzzer sounded when running but that turned out to be my dodgy method of connecting it to the receiver and once I did it the way shown in the instructions, all was fine. Lesson learnt, read the manual!  :D

Bit hard to take a picture of it smoking indoors but here goes...

Think it's now finished. Got lights in the cabin, lights in the navigation lights, sound unit from model sounds and the Steam master unit and all running on 2.4 Ghz radio. Just need to get it on the water now!

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: My boat smokes! :)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »

Great job Craig.  Nice photo.
You didn't mention which smoke (mister) unit you used, or where you got it from.
I am sure this information would be of interest to others considering doing the same.

Cheers.  Bob k
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Re: My boat smokes! :)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:34:15 pm »

Hi Bob

It's a Steam Master unit from http://www.steammasterunit.co.uk/

It is a nicely made bit of kit, specially moulded tank, small fan on top, warning buzzer on a float so you don't over fill it and a full fitting kit including all the electronics, chimney and filling tube. Came very nicely presented in the box too with full instructions.

As I said above, it's not the cheapest option out there but it was the only one that suited my requirements and I wanted to stay clear of oil burning ones as I think they can be a bit messy.

I'll try to get some more pictures once it's on the lake.  :-)

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.