Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoration  (Read 2251 times)

Simona

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Restoration
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:18:45 am »

Hi, I wonder if anybody cam help me. I purchased this 48 inch model yacht on ebay for restoration thinking it was an old working pond yacht. As it turns out its just a replica. It seems to be made in the traditional way, ie planked onto a frame. My intention is to replank it, glass the outside and rig it for RC sailing. My question to the forum is, has anybody done anything similar and therefore share some advice.

Many thanks

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 11:26:40 am »

Why do you want to (re-plank her) glass over the original
planking with a fine weave cloth.A picture would be a help.
Has it got a weighted keel/drop keel, removable keel etc.

john

Simona

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:28 am »

Hi John, thanks for your reply. I'm currently trying to post some pics but keeps saying file is too large. In the meantime, rather than re plank the whole hull, it's only about 50% that needs doing as they have blown off the frame. Although there is a planked keel. It's not weighted. If you send me your email address I can send some pictures, may be quicker.

Cheers

Simon

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39:18 pm »

@Simona:
This forum only accepts very low resolution pictures; individual file size max is 160kb. If you have a few pictures to post it may be easier to put them on Flickr or another similar service and post a link here....
Pictures would help when seeking advice....

As a rough guide for you, I have attached a picture of a boat that is about 60 inches long - this is an "A" class - the keel weighs about 10 Kg and the boat draws about 350mm

Amateur at work...

Simona

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:54:42 pm »

Thanks for your reply, here's some pictures of my project on flicker
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.flickr.com/photos/34636074@N04/[/font]

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 09:09:31 am »

@Simona:
Thank you for the photos - as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Let me say from the beginning that this is definitely not my area of expertise - I am sure other forum members will be able to advise you.

Some observations though:
1) The hull certainly needs work - even with the damaged planks replaced she would leak like a sieve. An inspection inside the hull would perhaps provide a better guide on whether it should be completely replanked - see how well the planks are attached to the frames. If the planking is sound, perhaps it would serve as a base for fibreglass...?

2) The hull will need considerable strengthening particularly in the centre third to support the stresses of the keel, to support the mast foot and chain plates for the shrouds. Assuming it might be a Bermuda rig (mainsail and jib), you will also need strengthened areas for the backstay, forestay and jib pivot. You will also need to open at least one hatch through the deck for radio gear and servos. A boat this size requires a serious sail winch

3) There is no sign of a rudder or even a rudder post or pintle??? Boats of this shape usually have the rudder on the aft edge of the keel.

4) Keel - looks to be made of layers of timber? This will need to become a sizeable amount of lead (5 to 10 kg perhaps - no real idea)

To summarise - this is a big job. A very big job. At the end of the job, it may not be a particularly good boat to sail.

As a job, it would be much too big for me.... <:(  ... but I am a very poor builder....

You could consider cutting your losses and finding another boat that is a bit closer to going sailing.???? In some respects, it would be easier to start from scratch and build a boat....

Hope this helps.... :-)

Amateur at work...

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 01:40:27 pm »

Hi simona,
as mrpenguin states,(what a big job). I love building plank on frame and I am afraid
the planking on your hull is probably useless it looks blown and twisted,
you would have to strip it,make a building jig and re plank to take out any twist etc.
strengthen for lead keel and mast fit a new deck, the list goes on.
I would buy a fiberglass hull from mbd with a plan, so that you know where everything goes and the mast,s sails etc. will be to the correct scale. it would probably work out cheaper in the long run.
Perhaps someone on the forum may have a plan for that type of boat they could
let you have a copy of.

john

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »

Hi, have to  join in with general points made so far, this is not worth the investment in time or materials.
I have done a few restorations and refused some as well.
When doing a restoration you are putting something back to previous or original condition.  Do you think this was ever a satisfactory model?
Sorry to be negative but good luck with what ever you decide.
PS, I am not really up this late I am on holiday in Australia, managed to take mayhem with me!
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.