Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Submarine guidance, advice  (Read 1685 times)

Pvtspoon

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Submarine guidance, advice
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:35:37 pm »

Ive always fancyed a owning a Submarine but been kinda scared by the books ive read and the people ive spoken too with storys like Submarine's are like voodoo, & one day thay work next day thay dont, plus a guy in the club im part of has just got a sub and its running eather noise up or sturn up atm as he cant get the blance right plus lugging a 50" monster about in the car ant fun, ive been looking at a 1/350 conversion's on you tube thay look fun and im not scared of chopping and hacking but finding one is like finding hens teeth

what am i after i dont know guidance, advice yeh but im not after one of them yellow sub from the front of a beatles album, im kind of a jump in with both feet not matter how deep the puddle is kinda guy  {-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Submarine guidance, advice
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:24 pm »

Bit small, especially for a starter boat. Think about something larger like Trumpeter Kilo or Seawolf (still small boats) or the Revell/Moebius Skipjack.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:08:07 am »

As Andy rightly says, the 1/350th boats are very small, the Trumpeter Seawolf or the Moebius Skipjack is a much better bet, bigger and easier to work on. Both build into nice models, plenty of conversions kits out there, or roll your own (very easy to do) Just be aware that they will be fragile if you add all the detail bits...been there, had the scopes knocked off.  <:(

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:11 am »

As has been stated, 1/350 scale is way too small. I have two 1/125 scale-a Gato class and a U-boat-static model dioramas and they are 21 inches long with a beam of around 2 inches, still too small IMO to convert as a first time boat. Go a little bigger to make life easier for you. I was going to go the route of subs but found it difficult regarding my disability was to go small and cheap, in case it all went wrong, but you do need space to work in and get the stuff working right.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.