Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 1805 times)

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Best Hobby in the World!
Introducing myself
« on: May 15, 2013, 02:08:27 pm »

Dear fellow hobbyists

I am always looking for forums where I can share the work I do or some of the knowledge I gain through my project or trying to help where I can.

I lost my job in the telecommunication equipment industry during the internet crisis 2000/2001 and have not been able to get employed once an again here in Germany. As a headhunter put it. Being 45 years old is a KO criteria not to be considered anymore. That was painful, so since then I have worked as a freelancer and consultant, but missing the work as a member of a team. So I decided a couple of years into the vain search for a new employment to make myself a project that will work as a red line guide to keep studying, to keep busy and to have a fully organized day that hopefully will make me feel, like i did before, that a day has too few hours.

So I decided to embrace a project to build a sail ship model with the goal to have it capable to navigate a regatta course autonomously. Last year I suffered a stroke, fortunately not a too bad one, so that i became conscious, that my time span left might not be long enough to achieve all goals I want. While to recognize that life time is a limited good, it confirmed me in continuing on the project without aiming to complete if HE does not want it, but that my goal is to keep my busy and experiencing challenges, successes and failures while the way to my goals is the main goal of my activities.

Following this red line I have come in touch with so many areas of knowledge, with so many side projects, that I can confirm I am achieving what my goals were! If you do not mind it, I would like to share with you, going deep into the topics addressed, in a number of threads I plan to open if you do allow me to do so! My usual attitude is, that nobody is forced to read them and they will be clearly identified by myself being the author!

Best regards Hellmut
Best regards Hellmut

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:28:01 pm »

Hello Hellmut and welcome to mayhem.   :-))

We would be most interested in your developments of gear for our model boats. We are always on the look out for ways of doing things which would make boat building interesting.

Do not worry about which section to place your articles as we will do this for you at a later stage.

Looking forward to reading your articles

Regards

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:02:56 pm »

Hello Helmutt and welcome to mayhem,
sorry to hear about your ill health and employment status,
 but yes keep busy and I for 1 will look forward to reading
your posts and viewing any pictures you link to them.

regards

john

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:35:18 pm »

Hellmut,welcome to the madhouse you dont have to be mad but it helps.

p.s.i would change your strobe light with a spot light,especially if your working with machinery.baloo

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Best Hobby in the World!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:41:28 pm »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@baloo: if you ask people that no me on other Forums they do consider me mad! The reason being that often there is the problem of others to accept/tolerate, that my goal is the path to a model, not the finished model itself! So I do not mind to be working on my main project, which includes building my own transmitter around a table PC with Android! But that is a topic of his own right. the other point is that I love to write as i like to read. I love going into details and the more i do advance on a topic, naturally the more it gets esoteric for many! But please, I more than welcome to share my knowledge and even to develop kind of a light training on any of the topics, If I might help and if there is an interest. Just to emphasize it i like to put as an example this young boy i met with this father at a model ship meeting in Fuenlabrada, Madrid, Spain. I do have the permit from the father to publish this photo taken by me!

This young boy who proudly presented to me his first build has all my respect as a model ship builder. With creativity he build a ship using cigarette boxes and was proud of the result. This has many of the ingredients i do consider of high value:

Creativity, fun, achievement and so he deserves recognition!

@John: Do not worry about my health issues! Its HE who will decide how much time is left and it is me who has to take his share in making this time as long as possible! Our hobby has helped me to stay mentally healthy, has given me the challenges and achievements each of us needs as the air to breath and finally it has filled all those days that otherwise would have been empty filled with activity. You by sure know, that keeping every day a certain routine is key to survive pension time as long as possible or the time after you lose your job!

@Ken: Soon I will start presenting the construction from scratch of my sail boat. Here a picture of kind of how it will look and finished!

Regards hellmut
Best regards Hellmut

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:53:46 pm »

Nice one Hellmut, welcome to the site, I too used to make models out lego, matchboxes, cardboard etc when a kid. Good on the lad, he should be proud, to many it is some fag packets stuck together, to the lad it is whatever he wants it to be.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.