Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple Sub Plan  (Read 887 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Simple Sub Plan
« on: August 10, 2022, 01:22:34 pm »

After a couple of years this plan for an ultra simple (and cheap) but still practical plan is to be published in the September issue of Model Boats as a "Free plan".
Built mainly from plywood and stuff I had lying around (hence cheap) it has a free flooding hull with a central watertight compartment for the RC gear.  Based loosely (very loosely if I'm honest) on the WW2 U-boats it's about 25 inches (63 cm) long with a weight of 2.5 pounds (1.1 kg).  Powered by a single 385 motor and a 6 cell nimh battery pack and only needs a 3 function RC outfit.
It's just a dynamic diving type and once the operating weight (static trim with deck almost awash), speed and hydroplane angle sorted, it can cruise around in a stable submerged state (only the aerial wire showing).
I was able to check the plan before publication and it looked OK.  Alas, the text escaped my checking so read it very carefully.
Glynn Guest

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Simple Sub Plan
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 01:24:46 pm »

And cruising around the lake submerged...!!!

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 04:32:24 pm »

If we use 27 or 40 Meg can we keep the Aerial inside the Sub?.

Len.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 04:52:39 pm »

Yes Len, but you then lose the automatic depth control.

Glynn Guest

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 06:14:43 pm »

and once the operating weight (static trim with deck almost awash), speed and hydroplane angle sorted, it can cruise around in a stable submerged state (only the aerial wire showing).
Hey, that sounds fun.  :-))

That 25 inches is a nice size for a simple model, right in the neither too small nor too large ballpark.
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 06:59:32 pm »

Long ago I built one of Glynn's earlier subs & I really needed the aerial, or a substutite wire, to give me some idea of depth and if it was going up or down. I suspect that it would have been a lot more difficult to sail without the tell tale.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 10:25:56 am »

Another reason to use a vertical aerial wire is to ensure the best radio reception, something that all models (especially those based on subs) ought to have.  Coiling the aerial wire inside a tightly packed watertight box is never to be recommended.

All my RC submarine models have used this method with no problem. Fits in with my practical Engineers approach, combining two functions (radio reception and stable submerged cruising) into one item.  The proverbial "two birds with one stone".
Glynn Guest
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.