Mess Deck: General Section > Model Boating

Presenting my workshop and how I am fighting uphill to get order into it

<< < (2/20) > >>

Neil:
 O M G..........I daren't show mine.......wodney came to it this morning and had to go home for his jabs to ward off all sorts of ailments {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

derekwarner:
Welcome Hellmut.......many would be jealous of such a workshop .......including me O0
Just a word of warning........ >>:-( keep the dust levels much lower than you see in Neil's workshop or the 3.3 + 4 + 5 +12 + 24 Vdc power supplies will arc across & self destruct............ {-) ....Derek

Hellmut1956:
Hi Derek

May be I failed to pass the message. But the reorg of my work shop has had on of the goals, to separate those parts that do generate dust from those that do not generate dust. But the electrical infrastructure is pretty save the way it is build. As you probably know, to have an arc build up you either have to have the lines with different voltages follow a path that get them pretty close to each other, usually the tendency for an arc to build up required pretty high voltages between neighbouring lines and/or extremely high current flow. This is what makes the power lines of electrified railroads so dangerous. last year again a teen went on the top of a carriage getting so close to those power lines he got killed.

In my setup, while the PC power supply i.e. can supply 32 A over some of the lines, but for electronic circuitry the current flow remains very low! But also so, the lines are distant enough and are using a cabling with such a big cross area, that they can withstand even the current that appears during a short circuit. In this case the 16A fuse of the house would interrupt the power line very fast! Still so, I am convinced your advice is very important to anyone not so familiar with the dangers. What I am really missing in my work shop is an adequate smoke alarm system. But I have been extremely careful to prevent possible sources for fire and have made sure that all power lines do take advantage of the security features of the electrical infrastructure of the power lines in the house. Key is to always have all power circuits well connected to the ground lines!

As to the smoke detection I have on my agenda to build the electronics to pass eventual smoke warnings so that the alarm rings in the whole house, as an acoustic warning just in the work shop placed in the cellar would not be heard from the other floors in the house and radio connected systems would not pass the steel/concrete walls and floors of this house, as I know from cellulars not to get connected when in the work shop!

justboatonic:
Im jealous!  :o ;)

Hellmut1956:
Too nice! You have to see it in context! I have lost my job as a director in the telecommunication industry in 2000 and never got employed again since! So my sail boat project and my work shop have become, next to consulting and technical translations, the focus of my life (of course in importance long behind the role my beloved wife and my kids play in my life!). The challenge to finally get some order into my work shop and into the thousand of pieces that have accumulated over time, more than 12 years! believe me, I would prefer to have a job employed over having this work shop!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version