Mess Deck: General Section > Model Boating

Presenting my workshop and how I am fighting uphill to get order into it

<< < (20/20)

derekwarner:
Evening Helmut.....good to hear from you again....

I am a little confused......as I see....

5 x M2 NVMe SSD....then also read

a 2TB m.2 SSD

Either way, even  2TB appears to be an acceptably good volume of storage in the one machine...

My latest laptop has only a 256GB SSD, however I have 1TB Sandisk SSD and a 2TB Toshiba HDD as external drives, all hot wire & connected via USB as storage & backup

I also have a surplus Toshiba 500GB HDD in a plastic case as optional backups via USB

Just wondering what is the basis for 5 x M2 SSD's

regards
Derek

Hellmut1956:
Sorry, I miss the right character on my keyboard. I have this storage device:

Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB PCIe 4.0 (up to  7.000 MB/s) NVMe M.2 (2280) internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V8P2T0BW)

It is placed in the first slot for this m.2 device which thanks to a direct link to the CPU has the 7000 MB/s speed.

derekwarner:
Understood Helmut  O0  this Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB PCIe 4.0 you mention would appear to be one of the fastest processors available...is it designed primarily for graphic realism speed?

These are the three [plugable] fixed backup and file drives I mentioned, and find them more than capable for home & office backup

The is also an assorted 132GB of USB sticks

A trap I found with the Toshiba 2TB HDD was after about 3 years it failed....stating 'could not read disk - errors occurred'..... <*< ...most of the content was backed up to another Sandisk 1TB SSD, so purchased an external plastic case for $23.00.......removed the HDD & installed it in the case,,,,,,, and formatted the HDD via the PC, then transferred the content of the Sandisk back to the Toshiba

It worked....but nothing is failure proof

I find the concept of SSD warranty [TB's written] fascinating, but scary as the SSD is designed with a finite life....but when?  :-X

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=fd92ee4d4da93d5fJmltdHM9MTY2MDQ0MTUzOCZpZ3VpZD0wNTZkZDVjMC0xMDQ4LTQ3N2UtYTBiOC1kMDM2ODAyYTc0MGMmaW5zaWQ9NTE2OA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=cc03a20b-1b72-11ed-9a76-c5214898b6aa&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9zZW1pY29uZHVjdG9yLnNhbXN1bmcuY29tL2NvbnN1bWVyLXN0b3JhZ2Uvc3VwcG9ydC93YXJyYW50eS8&ntb=1

Saying this, I do not trust nor use any of the free Cloud Storage provided by Microsoft and Norton

If speed were not the criteria, would you suggest SSD or HDD to be more reliable?

Derek   

Hellmut1956:
Dear Derek. Having worked for nearly 2 decades with leading US Semiconductor companies I know Flash memories have a limit of read cycles before they start their end of life with increasing failures. When I dealt with this topic some 20 years ago SSDs did have a number of spare flash memories and software that would replace defective memories with those extra flash cells. Also, it was said that flash memory cycles would try to limit the number of read/write cycles is would execute by trying to distribute those read/write cycles more evenly over the flash cells to lengthen the time for a failure. So you are right SSD storage and not that factor that limits the length of their life:

Normal HDs are such a mature product that the quality is very good and failures are most likely to be that the magnetic polarity of a memory cell changes. As such errors happen more frequently the os has the means to detect and fix a certain number of memory cells. I did use a RAID 10 HDD storage that used 4 1TB devices and was able to fix if one drive failed. This happened to me twice over a decade.

So the answer to your question as to which memory is more reliable is not so simple to answer. HDD will have errors much more errors compared to an SSD if the SSD has not reached the end of its lifespan, Due to the technical issues with SSDs, it is worth buying an SSD from a supplier with the best quality. So as long as I have not reached the physical limits of its flash memory cells and if it has the provision to replace damaged cells normal backup procedures are ok. If you use HDD in a RAID 10 i.e. as I did you are able to recover completely when one drive fails. Even if it happens twice or more often the question is if it is the same HDD device that is failing, then replace it with a new one, if it happens on different devices you can continue using it and applying the same standard backup proccesses.

And then there is one factor that made me choose the SSD: Its fast!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version