Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMCS Snowberry leaking hull  (Read 4383 times)

crock

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMCS Snowberry leaking hull
« on: May 17, 2013, 02:32:26 pm »

Hi,

my revelle hull is leaking  <:( , water coming in from the bottom somewhere  <:( <:(   Does anyone have any experience with the Model by Design replacement hull and the transfer of the superstructure across to it ?   Should I just start from scratch with a bigger hull  or ??  costs and lack of sratching building skills ......

any advice or tips welcome as always

Crock

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: HMCS Snowberry leaking hull
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:29:58 pm »

First thing to do is find the leak.
Dry it out, top off, upside down for , say 24 hours.
In the bath and see where it's coming in.

Possible Solutions: Re-grease the prop shaft - Silicon sealant -  several runs of thin Superglue down the seam.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:49:11 pm »

when i brought the yatch of you martin it leaked you told me to fill it up with water i did leak  found simple

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:09:15 pm »

Yeah
Once there is some water leaked in, hold it up and the water will come out the same way as it went in  :-)) :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

crock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:36:15 pm »

Fill with water and watch where it comes out, tried that !!!   {:-{     I'll try again and see if I have any more luck this time, thanks for the suggestions.

:-)

crock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »

Hooray   :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) %% %%   found it BUT in probably the most inacessable place in the bottom of the hull, slightly to one side.  Any ideas on how to seal it bearing in mind it's plastic ?   I've cured one leak by using wood glue (PVA) diluted with water and layered, I will probably try that again for this bit, unless of course there is an 'easy' (ho ho!) way ??

Thanks for the tips so far

Crock

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:02:47 pm »

Sounds as though it's coming through one of the joints in the hull. Suggest that you run some plastic weld or similar into the joint from both sides. Then re-test in testing tank, indoor or outdoor variety, it matters not, for at least 12 hours with as much ballast as possible.

This should be standard practice for any new hull.
 LB

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 12:04:42 am »

Hooray   :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) %% %%   found it BUT in probably the most in acessable place in the bottom of the hull, slightly to one side.  Any ideas on how to seal it bearing in mind it's plastic ?   I've cured one leak by using wood glue (PVA) diluted with water and layered, I will probably try that again for this bit, unless of course there is an 'easy' (ho ho!) way ??

Thanks for the tips so far

Crock

PVA over time will dissolve in/with water.

Best to "flow" something, that wont adversely react to the plastic, like 'poly urethane' a "polish", along the keel joint and let sit for 24 hours to dry and seal the join.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 02:34:08 am »

Thin out the varnish a bit first.  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 12:23:52 pm »

A thin fillet of Milliput is the ideal solution for sealing the joints in the hull. After application it can be smoothed down using a wet finger. Once it hardens it gives a good solid seal  which is as tough as metal (it can be filed, drilled etc). It certainly worked a treat on my Matchbox hull.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »

Hindsight is the greatest teacher, bit late now but it does show that preparation is important when assembling plastic moldings (OR sheet). Wash the bits in soapy water, rinse with clean and allow to dry. Then use a solvent type glue to fuse the bits together, either thin or thick. If you've glued with thin, build up inside with thick. Like welding in full size, if the parts aren't fused together it's eventually going to crack and leak.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

crock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 01:44:17 pm »

Hi Again,

this is a repair to a already built and sailed damaged hull which is why I have had the problem with finding and fixing the leak.  The PVA is an all weather one but I will probably coat with a polyeurathane varnish and fillet the outside with superglue.  All this will take a few days but I will report back when done.

:-))

As a PS I agree with the last post re hindsight especially as this is the first plastic kit I've RC'ed and even built for more than probably 30 years.  A few things I would change but generally I'm fairly pleased with how it's worked out.  I put in a drainage channel both sides under the main deck that drains out through the glassless portholes in the doors to the 'rear' deck.  An idea I 'borrowed' from internet browsing.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »

Hi Again,

this is a repair to a already built and sailed damaged hull which is why I have had the problem with finding and fixing the leak.  The PVA is an all weather one but I will probably coat with a polyurethane varnish and fillet the outside with superglue.  All this will take a few days but I will report back when done.

:-))

As a PS I agree with the last post re hindsight especially as this is the first plastic kit I've RC'ed and even built for more than probably 30 years.  A few things I would change but generally I'm fairly pleased with how it's worked out.  I put in a drainage channel both sides under the main deck that drains out through the glassless portholes in the doors to the 'rear' deck.  An idea I 'borrowed' from internet browsing.

As I have a Snowberry in the Que any chance of a pic of the "drains" etc.

As you have mentioned PVA is thinned/diluted with water, so a simple test test for waterproofing, or any adhesive for that matter, is glue two pieces of scrap material and completely submerge the 'sample' in water.
Probably need a weight tied to the sample to keep it under water.
You can then check the results in say 24 hours then a week.

crock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:14:19 am »

Hi,

I'm out today playing with my steam train (16mm) but will try to remember to take a pic or 2 tomorrow and post.

%%

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
  • The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
  • Location: San Marcos, California (North San Diego County, USA)
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 07:48:11 am »

One very simple method of finding leaks that works for me is to use a very bright LED flashlight in a dark room. Shine the light all around inside the hull, and look for bits of light shining through.

Rob
“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re
behind us… they can’t get away this time” — Lieutenant General Lewis B.”Chesty” Puller
(when surrounded by 8 enemy divisions)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:30:20 am »

Clever!  :-))

crock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 10:14:49 am »

Pics as promised.  2 bulkheads at the front, one to let water through the anchor chains and out by the anchors, the second just before the main deck and filled with poystyrene.  In hindsight I would probably put one or possibly two towards the rear of the boat.  Motor is where it is because that is the lenght of propshaft I had in my spares, steering servo not in a good place as it is hidden by extra waterproofing that was put in.  Where the two decks join needs to be well sealed before as this is where one is hoping the any onboard water will run out onto the stern deck and thro' the scuppers.  The black mess is me being too enthusiastic with some glue  {:-{  and despite the measure twice, cut once adage i still manage to go wrong !!  getting better though with experience and 'old(ER) age, slowly learning the art of patience  O0 .

Any questions or comments please ask.

Crock

crock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 10:25:56 am »

One more pic of the boat ready for sea apart from the main deck.

:-)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:05:13 am »

Crock,

Thank you,  :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.