Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: tugboat petes workboat project  (Read 13134 times)

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Im a tugger cos i pulled
tugboat petes workboat project
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:21:57 pm »

:-) Hi all im a newbe on the site this will be my first post ref my seaport project all going to plan at the mo sending pics of current state will keep you posted best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: tugboat petes workboat project
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:18:40 pm »

hi all just an update on the boat all now grey got rid of the hatch locking knobs using magnets also sorted out the flexi drive cv on the motor to prop shaft all going well will keep you up tp date best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:02:00 pm »

just a pic of the mod on the drive shaft aca rubber petrol pipe.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:06:47 pm »

Looking good, Pete :-))  Keep the photos coming.

Peter.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 11:44:01 pm »

:-))hi all just a few more pics got the hull sprayed off red today also sorted out the mast used an artists paintbrush so all coming together will be sorting the wheelhouse out asap best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:36:40 pm »

hi all new pic finnished the hull paint job will keep u posted best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 11:47:45 pm »

:}ok all this is where the rebuild is at the mo im forwarding some more current pics of the boat i think that it needs more work ref to detailing now but i think im getting there best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »

<:(  Hi all just a quick post got the boat in the water today all went pair shape listing 25 deg to port i have a 1.5 lb sinker weight im putting into the bow will be collecting a box of tyre stick on weights monday so all should be aok as soon a i get the ballast sorted i didnt realise that the upper decking on this boat was so heavy im not supprised that they turn turtle at the drop of a hat best regards.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:11:47 pm »

Mine has a SLA battery and another kilo of ballast,
No top portion of the wheelhouse, no lattice mast and the crane and dinghy
removed and she is steady as a rock.
Have you removed the water ballast tank?
Looks like you still have the slots in the hull
if you are using the ballast tank make sure the vents
are open to the air or it won't fill.

Nice paint job  :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 01:14:00 am »

:-) Thanks for the reply ned i have retained the water ballast tank and cut out the input holes in the hull taken out the fine mesh also i have extended the breather pipes out into the rear of the upper wheelhouse with an overflow onto the rear deck only got to sort out the ballast and fit the decking back down all going to plan and thanks for the comments on the paint job will post further pic when all together with decals best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 11:42:53 pm »

:-))hi i have just about sorted the boat got the life boat on the rear beck put a portholed door in the bow cabin section and sorted out all the decals im working on the ballast at the mo have placed a 1.5 lb lead sinker weight in the bow section think i will make up the stern weight with stick on tyre weights im going to use clear mastic to stick the front weight into place im also thinking of bedding in the motor in a base of clear mastic to stop some of the motor vibration will keep you posted best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 06:38:38 pm »

:(( hi all got the seaport deck fitted down today and did a float test all spot on so all is now ready for the lake to be honest i think that this boat is a total piece of crap and the money invested in making this boat work would have been better spent on a kit build or a more expensive rtr boat the main problem is that its made of cheap toy grade plastic i took this on as a challenge to see if it was possible to turn this seaport into a working boat that i think i have done but with the cost of the radio kit motor servos and high capacity battery plus re paint and the time factor its not worth the effort. best regards

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 10:17:13 pm »

Hi Pete.
RE: "this boat is a total piece of crap, the money invested would have been better spent on a kit build , or a more expensive rtr."

Well thousands of us agree it is a piece of tat, but it is the basis for a good conversion to standard gear. Some have taken it a bit further as you have done and put their own stamp on it and produced something different. Ideally you want to get one off flea bay in non working condition which offsets the costs of the conversion materials. 
 @ 2002 the model appeared on the market by the Germany coy. Diki. It had figures on it and came with a min 2ch TX.
  It then became the seaport a possible cheap asian market copy with the gun type TX.  Diki have produced a number of other models on the same hull like the fishing boat Monica, Coast guard boat, marines boat, fire boat and harbour boat.
It is now marketed by the German coy Carson.  Comes with 6ch 2.4 radio, working lights, horn, engine sound, monior and has a speed controller RRP @ 170eu (£145) the 6ch radio RRP is £62. 
http://www.d-edition.de/RC-Boote/RC-Boote-Elektro/Carson-Schiff-Feuerloeschboot-2-4GHz--100--RTR-Boot-mit-Sound--Light--Spritz-Funktion.html
  frank

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 10:46:54 pm »

:-) many thanks for the reply to my post maybe on reflection i was being a bit over critical i did enjoy the re build on the seaport my main gripe was the quality of the plastic i had major problems with brakage main prob was the rudder shaft got it sorted but still a bitch to resolve and deck screws stripping the threads on the support pillers also thank you for the link utube was very good hope for the price that seaport is a lot better quality i will be testing out my boat over the next week and will report on my findings best regards.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 06:56:18 am »

RE:main prob was the rudder shaft. Looking at your engineering solution it is similar to one of mine only you have done it differently. you could have drilled a hole on the edge of the rudder disc about the 3 oclock position and fitted an inverted ball and socket clevis which would clear the height of the deck.  I have used half a servo horn bolted on as an extention to give the throw I wanted. 
I have used various methods of rudder to servo connection. I have a 3.3ah sla with the rx pack on top of that velcroed on the water tank top.  I can throw the rudder stick side to side and yes she heels over as any ship at sea would and comes back on an even keel when I stop so I know the ballast is correct  and she will be ok in choppy watter.
 Frank

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 07:18:35 am »

Hi Pete.
 I am in the process of replacing all the crap rusty deck screws in my seaports/ dikies with new chromed steel ones.
 They are a Krick poduct item Bestell-nr 51171  2.2x9.5mm 10 in pk which is handy as there are 10 screw per deck get from model shop or on line. The starting size is 2.2x6.5mm nr51170 which you may get away with.
 frank

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41:31 am »

:-)hi there frank yes the deck fastenings are going to have to be replaced asap with rust proof fittings i will be sorting that out after the water test i have 1.5 lb of lead ballast in the bow 1.5 lb in the stern and approx 0.5 lb ether side of the water ballast tank she seems to be quite stable in the bath test im going  to float her in the local lake some time next week i will report my findings best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 11:36:04 pm »

:}Hi guys this will be my last post on the seaport i have had a slight change of plan i have filled up the two inlet ports under the hull used p38 to fill got the 2 amp battery fitted into the tank space just got to respray the hull red and fit the deck down i also re positioned the esc now fitted under wheel house im sending the pics of the mod best regards. TUGBOAT PETE

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 11:33:11 pm »

:-))Hi all just a quick one i fitted the decking down boat is all sorted and i have given it a tank float test i got to admit 100% water sitting just half an inch above the water line and motor running sweet hope to be on the lake sunday n/b i have now started a re build on a century 7004 speed boat the rtr mod bug has got me best regards TUGBOAT PETE yaaaarg

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 08:10:34 pm »

:-)hi all just one pic to download my finished workboat i would say the reduild didnt go as smooth as i thought it would but im very happy with the outcome best regards. tugboat pete YAAAAARG

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 05:01:26 pm »

hi all got to put an update on my seaport workboat mod took the boat out last week weather was blowing up a treat on the water got quite a bit of the wet stuff over the bow i found that there is a leak on the front cabin section i have had to pre fab a section of plastic to cover the leak im posting 3 pics hope its of help keep on pulling YAAAARG.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 06:32:52 pm »

:-))Hi Ho shipmates i forgot to add on that last post of mine i have also replaced all the steel deck screws with stainless steel and i have waxed over the screw holes with candle wax i think the jenny is now more water tight than a ducks bottom. regards YAAAARG

rhardy67

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 07:36:59 pm »

:}Hi guys this will be my last post on the seaport i have had a slight change of plan i have filled up the two inlet ports under the hull used p38 to fill got the 2 amp battery fitted into the tank space just got to respray the hull red and fit the deck down i also re positioned the esc now fitted under wheel house im sending the pics of the mod best regards. TUGBOAT PETE
Do you know what size motor is in these tug , I'm thinking ether a 380 or 390 . looking for something that well bolt right up , just looking for a little more power when retrieving a boat  .
1 Traxxas Rustler VXL + HK Aquaholic rc boat and Seaport tug + Traxxas Slash 4x4 platinum + Pro boat Impulse 31 .

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 10:59:05 am »

Hi sorry for the late reply the standard motor i think is a 380 unless you want it to fly, stay with the standard 380, i have had my boat running for months with no problem using the supplied motor.

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 01:52:06 pm »

Your right Pete, the original is a 380, but if you want  abit more torque a 385 can be fitted. :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.