Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with engine water cooling.  (Read 4894 times)

richi1980

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Help with engine water cooling.
« on: May 19, 2013, 09:31:33 pm »

Hi all, i am new to all this so after some advice.
Ok I have a apache 50 deep v offshore boat. its just the the hull and needs re-kitting. I have a 32cc strimmer engine that i can convert to put in there. Its a talon AT3304 which i beleive is the same as the McCulloch. Becuase its got a clutch and also the engine will be enclosed i am going to water cool the cylinder by taking down the fins and fitting a cap. My question is where can you buy these caps from ?
I also would like to know what else i can do to make this a better engine.change the carb if so any sugestions?
I will attaching the engine  to a surface drive.
here are some pics of engine
http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae189/kingrich2009/new%20RC%20Boat%20project/T2eC16FcE9s4PsOsIBRdtTcNR960_12_zps42fe9102.jpg[/IMG][/URL[/url]]
http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae189/kingrich2009/new%20RC%20Boat%20project/T2eC16F0E9s37FbYKBRdtTHHbDQ60_57_zps0bf1cab3.jpg[/IMG][/URL[/url]]

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help with engine water cooling.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:06:46 pm »

Hi all, i am new to all this so after some advice.
Ok I have a apache 50 deep v offshore boat. its just the the hull and needs re-kitting. I have a 32cc strimmer engine that i can convert to put in there. Its a talon AT3304 which i beleive is the same as the McCulloch. Becuase its got a clutch and also the engine will be enclosed i am going to water cool the cylinder by taking down the fins and fitting a cap. My question is where can you buy these caps from ?
I also would like to know what else i can do to make this a better engine.change the carb if so any sugestions?
I will attaching the engine  to a surface drive.

here are some pics of engine
[url=http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae189/kingrich2009/new%20RC%20Boat%20project/T2eC16FcE9s4PsOsIBRdtTcNR960_12_zps42fe9102.jpg]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae189/kingrich2009/new%20RC%20Boat%20project/T2eC16FcE9s4PsOsIBRdtTcNR960_12_zps42fe9102.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[url=http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae189/kingrich2009/new%20RC%20Boat%20project/T2eC16F0E9s37FbYKBRdtTHHbDQ60_57_zps0bf1cab3.jpg]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae189/kingrich2009/new%20RC%20Boat%20project/T2eC16F0E9s37FbYKBRdtTHHbDQ60_57_zps0bf1cab3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
  Chuck the engine in the shed and get youself a stock 26cc Zen260Pum from ebay (you will be very disappointed spending all that cash converting a lowish revving strimmer motor) you should be able to pick one up at a reasonable cost. Stock Zens come with good carbs so no need to buy another for your strimmer motor. If you definately want to go down the clutch route you can get clutches for Zens as well.
Those nice guys over at BMPRS could put an advert in their wants column on their website for you, you never know one of their members might have a Zen type motor going at a reasonable cost go to www.bmprs.co.uk and contact the webmaster to request a 'wants' advert, good luck :-))
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:22:37 am »

Have to agree with Scoop on this one, you'll probably spend as much cash on preparing the engine as it would cost to buy a decent second hand Zenoah whilst ultimately being disappointed in the final result.
There are other options out there such as an RCMK or a clone motor for less money. The two that come to mind are the Rev Unlimited from Gizmo motors or the XForce from Warehouse Hobbies.

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 08:25:28 am »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26cc-Marine-2-stroke-engine-Tuned-Pipe-and-Tanks-/181143671887?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2a2d01144f
this is what you need,can be tuned if you know some one handy with the dremal,you will be waisting your money going down the route you are going,but thats your choice,each to there own,    kurt %%
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:36:52 am »

Yep thats the best way to go.and the tuned pipe will help peek those engine revs    Zoooooom  :-)) :-))

richi1980

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:56 am »

Thanks every one I see what you are saying saves me alot of hard work and then not finishing with the results i want would be gutting.
Thanks for the link to to the engine selling on ebay that looks good. ill keep my eye on that. Do you know what make the engine is ?

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 09:06:54 am »

it could be a zenoah ? :o  but will more than likely be a clone, {:-{ it does have a clutch on it,dont be put off if it is a clone as all the zenoah parts are all interchangable,looking at the engine it could be a zenoah with it having the gray coil and not the black one normally found on clones,my missus has a king of shaves with this type of engine and it goes well,will go even better when i tune it lol {-) {-) {-) keep your eye on it or ask the seller what he wants for it sometimes you can get it for a better price. O0 t be honest this is the way to go mate,would hate to see you waste all your money on something thats not going to get the boat to perform to its best,
hope all of this helps,should you need any advice feel free to ask,
regards kurt black magic racing :-)) :-))

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »

Hi, before you make a final decision look at what can be done for an 1/8th of the cost of a Zenoah, if you have the facilities to machine the fins you could also make the water jacket and other modifications, as you can see I get the same RPM as a Zenoah and the engine has now run for over 12 hours, not missed a beat or had any problems.
Mick
Topic: RYOBI 30cc LEAF BLOWER CONVERSION   
Failure is not an option

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 01:38:14 pm »

just tried to find your topic on the leaf blower,cant find it can you give us a clue :-))   sorry have now found it ,very interesting indeed, rpms,well,thats not bad out of a weed wacker at all,very well done, O0 would be interesting to see just what you could get out of one?i know some of my zens are up there with some of the better ones and are close to 18,000 rpms loaded if not abit more,
it made for very interesting reading,thank you ,,,
kurt

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »

Hi Kurt,
when fitted in an Arrow Shark with tune pipe adjusted I got 15000 rpm under load, I could have got more but wanted a reliable engine without self destructing.

I have been converting Chainsaw, Strimmer & Leaf blower engines for many years. Before converting I always strip them down to see if they are suitable for conversion, paying particular attention to the crankshaft and bearing set up, a lot of them have solid crankshafts, most power increase is from altering the port timings and the transfer ports.   

Failure is not an option

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »

very nice and very neat, :-)) and rpms look good too,has given me something to think about now lol O0 O0

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 11:15:38 pm »

very nice and very neat, :-)) and rpms look good too,has given me something to think about now lol O0 O0
Put my hands up to that one, got to agree with Kurt, very good conversion, goes to show what can be done with the right machinery, nice one patternmaker, wouldn't look out of place in one of our D class race boats  :-)) 

Most of our racers prefer to buy the race tuned RCMK, Zen's, J&G's, Gizmo's etc by choice, but I think you have given Kurt something to think about  {-) :}

Cheers
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

richi1980

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 08:01:38 pm »

just tried to find your topic on the leaf blower,cant find it can you give us a clue :-))   sorry have now found it ,very interesting indeed, rpms,well,thats not bad out of a weed wacker at all,very well done, O0 would be interesting to see just what you could get out of one?i know some of my zens are up there with some of the better ones and are close to 18,000 rpms loaded if not abit more,
it made for very interesting reading,thank you ,,,
kurt
That is great info thanks.
A good friend of mine has a lathe and milling machine and said they are happy to do any jobs for me i just need to supply materials :-)
I would want to make sure that the engine i have in the first place is a good one.
Any clues on how to find that out.
I can measure the rpm of the engine with a tacho meter but it wont be under load. What sort of rpm should i be hoping for with out no mods.
I have a tacho tester/ reader which i used to set up the engine on my real(big) boat so wil pick it up thursday.

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 09:24:28 pm »

The Talon 32cc AT 3034 Chainsaw engine is no longer produced, it should run at around 8000rpm no load without modification, personally I would not use the clutch.
Good luck with your project.
Failure is not an option

richi1980

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 09:32:07 pm »

Thats great thank you. So with Mods  what should i be expecting to get ?

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 09:46:27 pm »

Thats great thank you. So with Mods  what should i be expecting to get ?
It depends on what mods you intend to do, its not as straight forward as that, I would suggest that you watercool the cylinder, try the boat and go from there, if you dont intend to race even unmodified you should have a resonable sports boat.

Failure is not an option
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.