Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: racing sparrow rigging  (Read 2043 times)

drover

• Full Mayhemer
racing sparrow rigging
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:56:50 pm »

progressing with my first attempt at yacht construction, a racing sparrow 750.  Getting to the point of purchasing material for rigging. Instructions state use of coated fishing wire which I know I can get in a fishing tackle shop but this comes in various breaking strains. Which is best for this size of yacht? Also the main and jib sheets are described as being made from Fishing Lure Twine would what is used on a reel as Backing be suitable and again what breaking strain?

Thanks

Drover

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: racing sparrow rigging
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:16:40 pm »

30 lb is plenty for the mast stays.Backing line will also be fine in 30lb, although any of the fishing braids will do the job. The racing Sparrow isn't a huge boat so the strains aren't to great on the rigging.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: racing sparrow rigging
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:50:30 am »

I am not familiar with the Sparrow, assume it is a 750mm boat???

Re the standing rigging - while the strains are not great while the boat is sailing, damage is more likely to occur during handling / transport. A gust of wind as you take the boat out of the car etc.....

I use 100lb Spectra braid for yachts around this size, also use the same for the sheets.
The braid tends to be crazy expensive in fishing shops, meanwhile on eBay it is cheap as chips - I have bought from this one a couple of times no problem:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DYNEEMA-MAXX-POWER-4-strands-braided-PRO-BRAID-Fishing-Line-GRAY-100M-6lb-100lb-/271075398245?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160

Amateur at work...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.