Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Malcf's Lloydsman build  (Read 13188 times)

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Malcf's Lloydsman build
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 06:33:32 am »

The dolly bars are on the stern at 10 o clock and 2 o clock positions,Are the gobbing bollards just standard twin upright bollards?  is it just there position on deck and their use  that makes the difference?.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 10:15:46 am »

The Dolly bars are just vertical bars that will restrict the tow wire moving.
These are usually right in the stern and can be used with a gog rope but not on their own.
From the pic the bollards look like 45 degree bollards.
Yes the bollards are placed there only for the gog rope.
The ones I have used are usually a cruciform bollard.

Derek,
Just googled Lloydsman images.
It is easier to look when you know what you are looking for.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 10:34:05 am »

:o  & Bob said........"Derek, just googled Lloydsman images....it is easier to look when you know what you are looking for"

Bob...I understand all that  O0 ..it was just when I opened the WEB page you presented.....there was the image of that JOLLY GREEN WAVE that I had seen many years ago in another publication
A trip on the ferry South Steyne from Circular Quay to Manly or out to sea was spectacular............ :-))  Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 11:37:11 am »

Derek,
I just wonder why it was on the Lloydsman page.
Obviously just for your memories!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 08:06:40 pm »

Build update- had a go at converting a servo to work as an anchor winch :-)) ,had a look at some different types of anchor winch on u tube and liked the one that drops the anchor freefall but decided it was a bit complex for me at the moment, i have decided to have both anchors operating and have utilised cotton reels made for sewing machines,they have about ten holes around the rim and i have built a hub with a ball bearing protruding and a ballpoint pen spring behind it to give tension the ball locates in one of the holes in the reel and is adjustable by a grub screw behind it.
I have tried it out and the reel slips when the chain is held so it will stop when the anchor is wound in, had a bit of a problem with the chain i bought as it was on the thin side and open link and opened up occasionally  :embarrassed: have ordered new and stronger chain and will fit a weak link near the anchor so i dont winch the boat under O0 O0
I have made the winch removable so i can modify later if reqd have also cut the funnel sections out and done some work on the deck and superstructure sections out of 3mm plywood this part i am feeling my way with as the plans are very basic to say the least and i am constantly reffering to photos of the real boat and also photos John Tyberg has emailed me thanks again John :-)) .

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:48 pm »

Its been a while since i last posted :embarrassed: ,so i thought i had better bring you up to date O0 i have built the superstructure and have used 1/8 balsa for the sides and 1/8 ply for the horizontal deck sections with the intention of cutting out the windows and portholes later,everything was ok until i tried cutting out the holes {:-{ they came out horrible and stringy with strands of balsa all over >:-o ,i attempted to tidy them up but gave up on the idea <:( and i am now removing the sides one by one, i have routed out new ones out of 1/8 ply along with the cutouts,i have primed and sprayed them on the outer face and have fitted windows out of 2mm lexan that i have routed leaving a flange all round, these have been glued onto the rear surface with RC modellers glue the one they use for clear canopies on aircraft and they are looking ok. %%
The twin funnels are made, i had initially dreaded making these but they where quite easy the only hard bit was drilling out the centres for the smoke  machine to discharge into this is made out of clear lexan slightly bigger than the ones from MMB,s it utilises a fogger from Maplins and a 12volt fan the 24 volt power for the fogger comes from a module i bought on Ebay from China it only cost £4 including delivery this sits along side a couple of boards from Component shop one is a fuse board and the other allows me to use two batteries of the same size and type without fear of back charging, i am using 12 volt 7ah gell cells and i have also used a 25 amp speed controller a viper marine this however i have found to be noisy it makes the motor screech at low revs,The smoke machine exhausts into a short length of 22mm pipe then into a copper 22 to 15 tee splitting into two vertical 15mm pipes running up the funnels it looks quite impressive in the workshop,today i have just drilled the holes in the hull for the portholes (these are a sore point as i ordered them and they took over a month to arrive after ignored emails and empty promises on the phone had to eventually threaten them with informing my card holder  <*< before they took action when they came 2 packs where the wrong size >>:-( only one was correct needless to say they wont be getting anymore buisness from me) >>:-( >>:-(  So i placed an order with Cornwall model boats and they came a couple of days later %% %%  should have dealt with them in the first place :-))  PS will post some pics shortly.So to sum up i have learned a few lessons using balsa with hindsight i would opt for making the superstructure out of plasticard in future, the next build will def be styrene or lexan,I have had the boat in a test tank to check the displacement and set my battery positions it looks like i wont need a lot of ballast i used an old 7 ah gell cell this will be replaced by my smoke machine tank inc water i am near my displacement now so i will have to be carefull how much extra weight it puts on or i will have to get busy with the drill cutting lightning holes etc. {-)

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 07:04:34 pm »

Here are a few photo,s as promised  :-))  still have a lot to do ,( a lot more time and work than aero modelling me thinks) O0

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 07:11:57 pm »

Oops should have been more pics here goes  :embarrassed:

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 04:36:08 pm »

Here's a pic of the circuit board the board on the left is the Chinese 12 volt to 24 volt transformer bought on Ebay  :-)) absolute bargain,it will actually go up to 28 volt there is an adjuster on the blue item this is to power the smoke generator, the other 2 boards are a fuse board and a twin battery board by Action Electronics.

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 05:55:35 pm »

Fitted a Technobots sound module this week,i am quite impressed with it i fitted the recommended  speaker in the bow pointing upwards towards the superstructure, it is on a piece of 3/8 plywood that will be removable to gain access to the anchor winch mechanism, i had the boat in the test tank today and found i am just below the waterline mark so will have to carry out some lightening where i can as i still have to attach all the fittings yet worst case scenario is to lose a battery <:( dont want to do this so will be drilling some holes. {-) message to self no more working gadgets >>:-( could always repaint the waterline :embarrassed: lower.

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 09:52:47 pm »

{-) message to self no more working gadgets >>:-( could always repaint the waterline :embarrassed: lower.
OOPS! I meant higher O0 (thought somebody would have picked up on this long ago)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 10:41:01 am »

How much does it vary  ?  Have you tried a float test.  ?

Altering the waterline involves a lot of work.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 01:24:49 pm »

Iexpect it to sit about 4 or 5 mm above the waterline when i have finished it,have done a water tank test with all electrics and batteries in with superstructure on  but missing mast and most of the deck fittings and was on the waterline at that, i have a home made smoke unit fitted that has a rather large water tank, i could reduce the volume of this,it was filled during the test it holds at least a litre of water i didnt want to run out of smoke you see. {-)

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 02:16:09 pm »

Hi Malc,

Good to see the progress you are making. Superb Model. My Lloydsman weighs in at just under 11Kg.

Yours
John

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 06:34:51 pm »

Hi thanks John i hav,nt weighed it yet :embarrassed:my build is on the heavy side so probably up on yours will do it soon though :-)).

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 08:42:33 pm »

Heres a pic of the circuit board the board on the left is the Chinese12 volt to 24 volt transformer bought on Ebay  :-)) absolute bargain,it will actually go up to 28 volt there is an adjuster on the blue item this is to power the smoke generator, the other 2 boards are a fuse board and a twin battery board by Action Electronics.

Hello Malc
would you have a link to the 12v to 24v transformer. I could use one of these to power the 24v atomised I have instead of 2 12v batterys. many thanks

john

malcf

• Full Mayhemer

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 09:29:25 pm »

thanks for the link . just ordered one.
many thanks

john

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 09:48:38 pm »

Same here ordered another one for my next project Hms Dragon type 45 %%

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 11:06:04 pm »

Hello malc, nice to see another modeller from Oldham (although I have moved now) how did your Lloydsman turn out? It was a couple of years back I noticed.    U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2015, 11:37:05 pm »

If you want to lighten ship then ditch the smoke generator and water tank. This is a motorship not a Puffer. Under way, any emission from the exhaust uptakes would have been a slight haze and certainly not visible as continuous smoke unless they had duff injectors or similar.

Cheers,
Barry M

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2015, 10:02:08 pm »

Hi the Lloydsman is still an ongoing project she sails ok still need to add some detail on her and block up the anchor openings as she takes water in there and do away with the working anchor, I am presently distracted from her as I am building a Burke class warship but I will return to her in due course.  :embarrassed: you know how it is. O0

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 07:48:57 pm »

Do you sail in Alexander park or is there a new venue nowadays? U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2022, 05:36:12 pm »

I sail at Clarence Park Bury sorry for the seven year wait for a reply :embarrassed:  Alexandra Park is a no no as it has been handed over to a fishing club to run and the council are not interested.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.