Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Brushed ESC on Ebay from Hong Kong  (Read 10121 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cheap Brushed ESC on Ebay from Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 12:47:03 pm »

@Neil,

Can you tell me if it  'whistles'  please as I find this feature annoying. It does seem ideal for 7.2 volt running slowly.

Cheers

ken

Due to the way most ESCs are made, the "whistling" is part and parcel of the design, non whistling escs cost a fair bit more
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 01:36:02 pm »

You might get lucky Neil, if you do we'll all be buying them!  :-))

Include me out, Martin. While buying ultra-cheap electronics from China has its obvious attractions (aka price) you have to accept that most specifications are "dubious" (to use a kind word); that "quality-control" is meaningless; that shipping times are ludicrous - that's if the goods arrive at all; that instructions are usually either incomprehensible or totally absent, and that after-sales service is non-existent. I haven't found anything electronic from ROC that's even vaguely comparable in any positive way with UK-made equipment.

If you're content to put up with all this and throw stuff away as/when it fails then sit back and watch the UK model trade disappear. It will happen.

DM (No commercial interest these days)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 02:03:56 pm »

True, there is no replacement for the finesse of a quality ESC
 but 'cheapo Chinese crap' ESC do have there place too.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 02:45:46 pm »

I must go along with Dave, I would rather have good service and reliability, even if it costs a few quid more.  Pete.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 04:41:00 pm »

I had the dubious pleasure of buying 2 of them once. Both went very well forwards, neither would give anything remotely resembling reverse unless you call stopped reverse!
I did ask how you got reverse and got an email back saying  "it must be you dearie" their words not mine!

inertia

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 05:45:23 pm »

but 'cheapo Chinese crap' ESC do have there place too.
You used the epithet "cheap Chinese crap" - not me. If it's crap then why buy it? The only place for that stuff is flushed down the toilet.
For 'Chinese' substitute 'Japanese', then think of Datsun cars and Honda motorbikes.............. and what they ultimately did to the British car and motorcycle industries. I'm no Little Englander but the complacency of Joe Public - while being conned and cheated from all directions by huge multi-national corporate entities - simply amazes me. Are we all sleepwalking into total dependency on commercial interests which are far from our own?
Up to you, dearie!
Dave M

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 07:44:43 pm »

And to add flesh to the inertia, Joe public wants as much as he can get for the lowest price he can pay to gloat about his success but then moan about the demise of his home industries.   >>:-(

Don't forget though, the British car and motorcycle industries also suffered from complacency and reliability of those products left as much to be desired as some of the new Chinese machinery.  O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

inertia

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 08:54:34 pm »

Don't forget though, the British car and motorcycle industries also suffered from complacency and reliability of those products left as much to be desired as some of the new Chinese machinery.  O0   
 Regards  Ian.

Unlikely, m'duck. I was daft enough to buy a 1300 Allegro, while Liz's Datsun 120Y seemed to go on forever.   Regrettably Nissan don't make speed controllers ............yet?
That said, I'm always amazed that Joe Soap will happily spend silly money on a model kit and fittings etc and then fit the cheapest, crappiest electrics he can find. A quid for a motor and a (so-called) 200A ten quid Chinese ESC on Fleabay  is not going to propel your latest creation with any degree of reliability. Just because you profess not to understand things electric doesn't make them unimportant. Go away and impress someone as gullible and tight-fisted, but please don't come to me when it goes "puff" - 'cos it surely will. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Old Miseryguts

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 11:02:04 pm »

Some thoughts/ comments from afar.
Have to agree with Inertia's, commentary and fully support buying Australian/UK made etc.
Looking at cars, yes, the early Jap cars were knock offs of British cars etc but look at them now.
Sad to say a lot of Oz companies, are now off shore which means, made in China, they say to Australian standards blah blah blah, but my experience has been the quality does drop, no Australian overseers on site, whilst there is some price reduction.
But the Ozzie brand, made in China,  is in fact competing with the Chinese no brand which is virtually the same. Sometimes from the same factory, it is just re-badged, you know like they re-badge cars.
Our buying local and loyal support does not stop the greed of proprietors/manufactures going off shore to increase profits.
At the end of the day it is buyer beware and we now, at least in Oz, live in a throw away society.
Articles are becoming so cheap it is far more economical to throw them away than get them repaired. Even if you could get parts to do so.
Its not the consumer who is driving the ascendancy of the Cheap ESC from Hong Kong.
Like the manufacturer who wants to make a profit, consumers who work hard for their money also want to make a profit, which means getting the most that their money can buy.

If the Chinese specs were corrected then there wouldn't be so many ESC failures.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Neil Martin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 11:51:00 pm »

Wow! I didn't know I would cause so many strong opinions on this subject.

To answer a couple of questions, Yes it did work on the water - the 'Testing Area' being the lake at Wings & Wheels last weekend.
If it had failed there on display, it might have being a bit embarrasing!
There are no more whistles coming from the devices than you would get from an Mtroniks Viper.
No problems going into reverse & it spun on the spot with no problems.

Of course, if you go & buy Action say, you are going to get a very good product.
This is never going to replace the ESC in your 1:12 Tug boat, it wouldn't take the load.
But there are lots of people out there with small model boats say <30" of light weight & low power that these esc's may offer a cheaper solution.

I suppose the next thing to do would be to up the amps by changing motor &/or drive set up, to see what they can handle.
That's for another day though!

Neil.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:36 am »

I posted a thread about these esc's last year. Back then i wasnt working and couldnt afford an action or mtroniks esc even if i wanted to. The boat was built for less than 20 quid so there didnt seem much point in buying a top end esc, Ive had the boat out twice and thats it, the lack of use wouldnt have justified the cost. If i were to build a several hundred pound model then yes go for an action or something.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 10:40:11 am »

Unlikely, m'duck. I was daft enough to buy a 1300 Allegro, while Liz's Datsun 120Y seemed to go on forever.

I think that's basically wot I sed re the British car and bike industries?   {-)    Cos we had an Empire, it gave us the ability to export c**p around the world. Lucas, Prince of darkness and the "Total loss" lubrication systems of our cars and bikes of the time are revered world wide.  O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 06:02:34 pm »

I have seen many a melted Chinese ESC, it beats me why people buy them, when you can get a perfectly good BRITISH MADE ESC, that comes with full instructions, help at the end of a phone line, repair or replacement practically  by return of post, for no or minimal cost, for about 25 quid a pop, give or take the odd 50p. For your money you get good honest British workmanship in a product that will last a lifetime if looked after, and, you are supporting the UK economy, and not that of a Comunist dictatorship with an abysmal human rights record.....
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

inertia

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 07:05:22 pm »

I think that's basically wot I sed re the British car and bike industries?   {-)    Cos we had an Empire, it gave us the ability to export c**p around the world. Lucas, Prince of darkness and the "Total loss" lubrication systems of our cars and bikes of the time are revered world wide.  O0

Regards  Ian.

Maybe so, and how true etc etc - but does that now mean that we are in some way obliged to import junk from former colonies as some sort of penance? I don't feel that guilty, mate.
DM

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 09:04:44 pm »

I recently got a couple of these 10A escs to get individual motor control for my Southamton tug. Having fitted them and given them a bath run they seem fine.
  • At full speed ahead the motors pull a touch over 1A, so plenty below the supposed 10A rating, and having run them for a few minutes there was no sign of anything getting warm. (7.2V battery and I have a 2A feed fuse for each.)
  • I think the dead zone may be a tiny bit wider than the UK made escs in my other boat, but nothing remarkable.
  • They do whine loudly, but the motors/gears (presumably also cheap and Chinese) are noisy enough that you don't really notice. And once the deck is fitted they'll be much muffled.
  • A couple of weeks delivery wasn't an issue. I actually had more trouble getting some connectors from a UK model shop!
  • For 1/4 of the cost of 'MBM approved' escs I'm quite happy for now.
Oh yes, while browsing for any extra info on them I noticed they are available on Amazon for about £6.50 incl del'y and some other places too (but I didn't follow the links to see where they would be sent from).

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 08:45:39 am »

:-)) With regard to cheap foreign ESC's I have used these in some of my boats when funds were tight,I still try to buy good quality kit where possible but their are people out there who cannot do the same and buying cheap will got them on the water,better to have a lot of cheaply built boats on the water than no boats at all,also a lot of people starting out in this hobby don't want to invest a lot of money in a boat and may be put off by the cost,money is tight and people have less disposable income,we must encourage new boaters and not lose old ones because of the cost,Ray. :-)) :-))
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.