Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mighty Midget Motor  (Read 3171 times)

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
Mighty Midget Motor
« on: May 28, 2013, 08:57:57 am »

Some time ago I bought a very broken Victory Industries "Crash Tender" at a boot sale. Given the state of it , (well and truly bodged) had no choice but to scrap the boat and salvage all the gear and fittings to build a replica. The motor had also been subject to the bodgers tender mercies and now has no brushes . It looks like they were spring loaded in an eyelet (still have those), and were about the size of a lighter flint . Has anyone an idea of where I could find a substitute for them?  Could always use a lighter flint spring but no idea what to use as the brushes themselves. Be grateful for any advice.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mighty Midget Motor
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:31:01 am »

Hi red... I too have that problem, it sounds like you have an early one.  If you are offered brushes check they are exactly what you want.  The early MM's were curved ends the later are squared off and I think different brushes.  Too far from home to check.  I suppose a hard pencil lead might fit.
regards Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:54:21 am »

A brush that is a bit too big can be sanded/filed down.  Messy but effective. 
On the pencil theme, they do come in various hardnesses, think I've seen them up to 6H, but that usually means being able to find a decent art/drafting supply shop.
There is a very accurately made carbon stick up the inside of every zinc-carbon battery, obviously different sizes depending on the battery. 
Brushes usually have some sort of pigtail braid, partly to provide a solid electrical connection, partly to keep the thing in place during assembly.  The tensioning spring could probably do the job just as well, or rely on contact with the carrier.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:56 am »

"Brushes" on Mighty Midget and most of the motors of that era were bits of pressed metal, probably Beryllium Copper (serious health hazard).

Regards  Ian.

"The brushes are 1/32" wide by 0.004" thick strips of Phosphor Bronze anchored to brass brush holders by means of tinplate ferrules. They can be withdrawn by pulling the brush holders outwards, these being a tight fit in the plastic end case."

Quotation from Model Maker Review, Life expectancy of brushes by Model Maker was 1 to 1 1/2 hrs., VIP refuted this and stated 5 to 6 hrs. at rated voltage of 6v max.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:37:04 pm »

Life expectancy of brushes by Model Maker was 1 to 1 1/2 hrs., VIP refuted this and stated 5 to 6 hrs. at rated voltage of 6v max.
Which still isn't a lot.  Not authentic, but perhaps a modern motor?  Possibly inserted into the Mighty Midget case after extracting the rotor and magnets?
A boat like this could be like our yard brush that used to be my Grandma's.  It's on its 12th head and 5th handle, but it is still, in essence, the same brush.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:39:17 pm »

Hi - Thanks to all - Will try the pencil route first - have a 6h in "stock". Spare brushes of any kind hard to find here. Will try the 'local' hobby shop which is 40 odd miles away ! Don't believe there will be much luck there as brushed motors are scarce - they stock all new brushless for aircraft mostly. :-))

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 09:16:06 pm »

This might well be a silly suggestion but what about a model train set of brushess still readily available

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.