Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A FEW Q ABOUT OUT RUNNER MOTORS FOR A TUG  (Read 3840 times)

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
A FEW Q ABOUT OUT RUNNER MOTORS FOR A TUG
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:19:15 am »

HI GUYS / GIRLS
I was just reading the article in the latest model boat magazine about OUTRUNNER MOTORS ( love the look of the outside case /end plate spinning ,especially if its all anodized )
very nice
is there a  downside to them ( except the price )  ? are the reversing ESC reliable ?
i was thinking of one round the 38/45 size for my tug build (amsterdam kit with bigger prop and nozzle  ) i see they say voltages from  3v to 11,1 volts
is 12v to much for them ? [size=78%]they offer brushless ESC from 6 to 12 v ?[/size]
can you run a brushless set up   with a normal 3ch flysky 3GTB controler ?
cheers Bob
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A FEW Q ABOUT OUT RUNNER MOTORS FOR A TUG
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:44:38 am »

Aren't brushless not too good at low rev's ? Dont think they've got the torque low down . . . .& a tug halfway out of the water at full chat ? wont look right somehow  :embarrassed:
Bill  :-X

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:20:17 am »

Depends on the motor, some of the outrunners can be slow revving with oodles of torque
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:21 am »

Yes, but you do have to choose your motors and controllers carefully.
Yes, you can get reversing Brushless ESC's ( make sure it's reversing, not reversible! )
For slow control of Brushless motors, you'll probably need "sensored" motors & ESC.
Have a look at motor set-ups for "Rock crawler" cars.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:43:38 am »

My Star Perseus was my first ever brushless boat, 1.6 long  takes two men two lift it, even then its a struggle, runs 2 x 510 kv motors ( 45 size nitro replacement ) tiny little things compared to what I'm used to, 12volt 24amp battery and two 60amp hawk speed controllers, will run happily for 8 hours straight with heaps of power in reserve and great low speed control.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:07:30 pm »

speaking of slow brushless out runners i found this on ebay the other day. The minium input voltage is 11.1v which will be nice lazy 2997 rpm unloaded.  Though At 50 65 pretty big mind you:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221223835113?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 03:39:24 am »

so does this one spin to fast  for a 68mm prop ? ( how do you tell the rpm ? is it kv x by battery voltage ) say 500 kv  x 12v = 6,000 rpm?
im looking for about 5 to 8 mm shaft
will they run OK on 12v ?

http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/__4652__KD_63_24L_Brushless_Outrunner_193Kv.html
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:48:24 pm »

Yes you are right on the rpm. It is kv of motor X voltage.
That motors out of stock and way oversized for what you will need. Plus its got some bad reviews on there with the magnet coming off an all. I wouldnt bother with it. Youl want about 3500rpm for that prop so youl need a motor either around 300kv on 12v or 600kv on 6v. Going with the 300kv one will give you better economy and more rev range. The 600kv will be a cheaper motor. If it was me if put me money on this:
http://hobbyking.com./hobbyking/store/__18170__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_4250_350kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html
350kv on 12v is 4200rpm. A bit over speed but a little extra welly on the end of the throttle range wont hurt now :-)) 

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 01:04:38 am »

hi MAD MIKE
thanks for that info an LINK
ill pick one up
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 07:03:43 am »

gday guys , i dont know much , i am about to experiment w brushless , and would love some info , on speed controls
BUT if you want too chew stumps and pull out trees , i do , go w tooth belt g/boxes ,say 2.5 :1
on a german site they use .46 brushless w 2.5:1 g/boxes to turn 90 mm props , and they spin up a storm !!
i intend to try a graupner s/control , or may be a hobbyking version .
i have tried a buggy version , it was lumpy and not very good , but it was only a cheap chinese, so it might work ,but the braupner ones seem smooth and give good control

Gerardy

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:28 am »

Are you exercising sailing?

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 11:42:18 pm »

gday ,
 i dont understand the question ??
do you ask , am i sailing models ?? i sail w the warrnambool MBC, which i helped set up yrs ago ,i have a fleet of over 10+operational models , mainly electric driven vessels , but theres almost 5 yachts in the shed
i have purchased some brushless to try out +1 buggy speed control , motors .25+.32 glo =
i did say i didnt know much, but the t/belt set up was being used by other modellers , w success, and seems the way to go , as it allows the revy brushless to rev , and not over draw Amps , much in the same way we fit t/belt g/boxes to 545 motors , to drive bigger props , tugs etc
is there a question in there ??
regards bill s

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »

current draw backs are , you need 1 s/c to 1 motor , and i dont know yet , a good boat s/c , possibly graupner ?? buggy versions tend to be lumpy ,for a scale boat we really want smooth control , then the cost of the motor+s/c add up
in a scale type vessel , i think we need a g/box , to allow the motor to rev , but not load it up , ie tugs
there are a number of go fast scale type models running well ,w direct drive brushless , i suspect larger type of motors =.46 glo
bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.