Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turnigy Aquastar 120 water cooled Esc  (Read 3341 times)

Shipwreck1963

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Turnigy Aquastar 120 water cooled Esc
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:42:01 pm »

Evening all. Was running my boat this afternoon when it started to splutter so I brought it in. I assumed it was a low battery warning as the boat is new to me. I have re charged the batteries 1 x 3cell and 1x 2cell in series. I have connected the batteries again and the esc beeps 5 times (confirming 5 cell) then pauses and then continues beeping. I have tried disconnecting the radio gear and attaching the batteries problem continues so nothing to do with the radio gear? Tried attaching the programming card, dead but still beeping at me.
There is no sign of over heating or burning and everything looks fine.
Off to bed now as I know you guys will have the answer for me in the morning!!! :}
Thanks
Craigen

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Turnigy Aquastar 120 water cooled Esc
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:37:31 pm »

what are the individual cell voltages?
eliminate any possible radio faults by try using the 3s battery on its own, and then the 2s battery on its own. The esc will detect the voltages and then hopefully the boat should start up.
Its important when running lipos in series that they are both the same capacity, c rating, brand and properly balanced.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:02:38 pm »

by the way if you can manually select the cell numbers dont use auto calc. Instructions here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/Turnigy%20Aquastar%20ESC%20Manuals.pdf

Shipwreck1963

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »

Hi Mike
Thanks for your responses which I tried to no avail so I popped down the local Spanish model shop which is really for cars. They had a look at it and diagnosed it was knackered along with the servo!! New servo put in and that is working great. Now need to buy a new Esc. They suggested water had got into both components. Any thoughts on which Esc to buy for a 5cell set up? Cheers Craigen

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:32:57 pm »

the servo knackered? hmm usually a bit of drying out sorts them. Get a seaking one or another turnigy. Not the same as last time though get one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8946__Turnigy_Marine_120A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.html
or even better:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8937__Turnigy_Marine_180A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.html

Shipwreck1963

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 06:13:59 am »

Morning Mike. I was a little sceptical about the servo but it had been drying out for three days and also made a bit of a crunching noise when twisted. I was looking at the Heidi swordfish 120esc as I am a bit disillusioned with trinity. Any experience with them? Thanks Craigen.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:45:51 am »

do you mean a crunching noise other than the gears inside it. The gears themselves when the servo is moves by hand make a crunching noise. Look inside the servo, remove the servo horn and take the 4 screws out of the bottom. Stand the servo back on its base with the servo spindle upright and carefully part the top half of the servo off. Clean any muck and grit of the gears, its handy to have a small tub of grease around if you need to regrease stuff like this. If you put the top half back on you can remove the bottom half and expose the motor and the servo amp. You can give that a clean too.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 10:18:33 am »

cleaning of servos and re greasing should be done periodically.  How often really depends on the conditions its working under.  The kids RC cars get done every few weeks in the summer as the surface they run on is very dusty.
You would be amazed how much cack finds its way inside
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:49:06 pm »

Can't say i ever bothered with periodic maintenance on servos. Cars are definitely very hard on servos, but boats, unless they get a soaking, I leave them as they are.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 09:35:52 pm »

Can't say i ever bothered with periodic maintenance on servos. Cars are definitely very hard on servos, but boats, unless they get a soaking, I leave them as they are.

True but coming from flying RC toys I do tend to err on the side of caution, After loosing almost 4 figures on a large RC heli due to poor maintenance on my part it's a lesson learned the hard way  :embarrassed:
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.