Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Field wound motor - Fwd & Rev controlled by ESC?  (Read 1546 times)

Bobbins

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Field wound motor - Fwd & Rev controlled by ESC?
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:33:27 pm »

Hi!
I have acquired a boat, rescued from a bonfire:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43053.0.html

It has been identified as a Vic Smeed 'Lorraine' plan-built boat. It came with a lovely 12V motor, some images I have included below.
I would like to use the motor in the final restoration, but I have some questions!:

I understand that the motor is a field-wound motor. If I connect the terminals as I have shown, I can run the motor in one direction. Q: Is there a way to run this motor from a 'modern' brushed ESC, with forward/reverse control?

I understand that initially the ESC and motor are incompatible, and there may be some electronic trickery to do. I am reasonably competent at electronics, but I may need walking through this one slowly!!!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Field wound motor - Fwd & Rev controlled by ESC?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:12:33 pm »

Simplest way is to go to the forum home page and search for " taycol motor ".  There has been lots of discussion about these field wound motors - there is no reason why yours should be treated any differently.  You will probably wind up on Dodgy Geezers site, since that is pretty much the world repository for knowledge of using these motors in model boats.
The simplest reliable way is as previously suggested, to use a bridge rectifier to ensure that whatever polarity the ESC is offering, the coil always gets it the same way round.  The disadvantage is that the rectifier elements lose a volt or so.  It is possible to use a circuit to sense power being offered by the ESC, and use this to operate a relay to connect the field coil across the main power, but this is at the cost of extra circuitry, more current used and some original research, since its only a theory as yet.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Field wound motor - Fwd & Rev controlled by ESC?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:20:57 pm »

While wandering around the CADMA show today I spotted some knobbly looking rectifiers on the Tony Green Steam Models stand.  No information about their capabilities was available, but it should be possible to contact them via their website -  http://www.tonygreensteammodels.co.uk/   -  they might remember me asking.  The rectifier packs look like they might have had an automotive use, so they should handle a respectable current, well withing the needs of a vintage field wound motor.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.