Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monofil Spray Paint - finish issues  (Read 4338 times)

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
Monofil Spray Paint - finish issues
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:18 am »

Hi, Hope someone can help.  I've just used a Monofil spray from my local paint factors.  However, the finish has come out as a very fine orange peel.  I wondered if it's the nozzle it seemed to give a wide spray area but thin coverage?  I tried using a Halfords can nozzle but for some reason it won't work.

Does anyone have any experience/tips/suggestions.
Many thanks
Phil

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Monofil Spray Paint - finish issues
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:14:41 am »

Don't wish to be insulting or anything, what experience do you have with spraying?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:09:56 pm »

I'd like to think a fair bit - though always cans not an airbrush.  I've always used Halford and Humbrol sprays and usually get a decent result.  I've made static car kits for years and a MS Trent on which I think I got a reletively good finish; http://modellifeboats.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=14 (see eg 15 Sept 2011 post)

I couldn't get the colour I wanted from Halfords or humbrol hence the custom buy.  I tried warming the can but maybe not enough.  My guess is not enough pressure in the can and/or nozzle but any tips would be appreciated.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »

I find the best way to combat orange peel is to sit the can in some warm water for a bit, makes quite a difference to the finish.
Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:58:39 am »

pipster....if that model of 14-18 is your work...........is a good enough reference  :-))  ......
I recently had some issues with VHT gloss black crinkling over VHT red primer <*<
First failure I believed was caused by the spray fumes melting the polystyrene surface the block was sitting on...... :embarrassed:
In the end I put it down to my poor workmanship  >>:-( in that my fingers touched the block post the final 1200 W&D
The final answer was to mount the valve block on double sided tape on an old CD for the final rub down prior to respraying.....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:05:18 pm »

Thanks for the tip Derek.  I usually try to wash parts after rubbing down but will make an effort not to touch them again - your photo certainly shows you cracked the problem.  And yes - the 14-18 model is my work.
Phil

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:06:54 am »

Washing parts is NOT really the solution to getting rid of grease off your fingers You REALLY need to use Panel wipe this is defo the correct stuff to use.When you wet/dry stuff you automatically introdue water into the primer and this WILL casue you problems.Read all about it in the painting guide

Dave

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »

Thanks Dave.  Can you point me to the painting guide?  I usually wash in soapy water to degrease and haven't had any problems until now.  Perhaps that more due to luck than judgement!
Phil

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 08:58:39 pm »

See Painting section top of the page the thread ABOVE this one.. O0 O0 O0

Dave

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:51 am »

Grand, thanks.  It was a case of wood for the trees...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 3.291 seconds with 22 queries.