Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Schnellboot S 19 1/72 R/C  (Read 14227 times)

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Schnellboot S 19 1/72 R/C
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:16:47 am »

It´s been a while since I was logged in at your awsome site. Things to do, places to be, people to meet.. Guess you know. Anyway; It´s always a pleasure to spend some  quality time at your site! My old Airfix Schnellboot is ready for some primer. At last! It made its trial runs last summer, with some minor adjustments. Quite good when you bear in mind that it was converted from a shelf model to a "runner", and was equipped with a lot of stuff from the canibalizised R/C boat, which I stole from my son. :-)
My aim was to have a scale model which looked good and could make decent manouvers in shallow waters. And I think I almost reached my goal, some of the joints are "glueish", but from a couple of feet away it will be almost invisible. And a watertight joint is worth more than a period perfect joint.At least to me it is. The boat will be comissioned as S 19, which was Kplt Werner Töniges first comission as a skipper. Later he was given command over S102, which was of the newer kind S 38. I think that if you do some research about your subject, you will always find an exciting story to tell. I will try to be more frequent logged in, and of course I will take some shots when I put the S19 into the Baltic Sea! All for know!

cdsc123

Re: Schnellboot S 19 1/72 R/C
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:15:49 am »

Hello

Nice work, but note that S 19 belonged to a group with a larger hull than S 7 - 13 (like the kit hull).

Note also the kit hull is not the correct shape, it is too boxy (although this may be an advantage for RC as it gives more buoyancy).

See the following comparison photo, you will see the biggest difference is the finer entry;

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:38:50 am »

You´re absolutely right! And I thougt I was a S-Boot fan! In fact the production run was S 10-13,S14-17 and S18-25. S14-S25 were well over 2,5 m longer and 36 cm wider and over 2000 hp more. Intresting to say is that S10-13 only were equipped with 2 torpedos. Have you seen any pics of the deck? Do they miss the fittings for torpedo 3 and 4? Hmm..the other hull on your picture, the white one, what manufacturer?
Thank you for enlightning me! Guess I´ll have to speed up work on my Robbe S130 in order to have a battleworn S-boot, but the foredeck gives me headache. Nevertheless, I discovered that Revell do reissue some old plastic kit from the 60´s. One of them is an US howitzer with personell, the scale is 1/40! I´m quite sure that those G.I s will man my S130, with some new uniforms and headcaps!

cdsc123

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 03:43:19 pm »

Hi

S 7 - 9 had the same hull as S 10 - 13, but the engines were from a different manufacturer (Maybach for the 1st group, then M - Benz I think).

There are many pictures available on the internet (e.g.    [size=78%]http://www.prinzeugen.com/DesignManufacture.htm[/size][/size][size=78%]  , and videos on Youtube too.[/size]

I make the white hulls just pm me to order one if you like (click the website icon under my avatar).

The Revell 1/72nd S - 100 is much better, in fact it is almost 100% correct.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:59:20 pm »

An outstanding collection of 1/72nd scale craft  O0 O0

If not already done, deserves to be listed under 'My Fleet'

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 10:07:53 pm »

Hmm..when I read my "Schnellboote im Einsatz" it looks like the S6-S9 had a both longer and wider hull. And went deeper in the water, but in 1/72 you cannot tell the difference.. ;) The Prinz Eugen site is a really good source, I agree with you. I´ll try to lay my hands on a Revell S130, have you tried it?
BTW: Have anyone seen the restoration going on in U.K? The one called S130? The single survivor Schnellboot. Interesting indeed, but it is certinally not a cheap ride to do that complete overhaul..It would be nice to get some reviews from the scene.

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:12:01 pm »

Primer time for my Schnellboot! Found a really nice primer at my local cardealer, a plastic primer made for spoilers and fat plastics, Turned out to be transparent and really soft and fine. After it has cured its time for some basic medium gray. I like to have it medium in the first layer, then you can work your  way through both darker and lighter layers, and of course washes and drybrushes as well.
Have put maskol at the windows, think I will have a hard time removing it at the back of the boat because of the rails and fittings there.. Right now we been struck by the summer, and I feel a little bit late with my tiny boat...Maybe I´ll just do a few layers of grey just to be able to run it before it´s getting dark, cold and icy again..

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 03:12:45 pm »

Been busy building wooden decks, nope; not the usual small ones, 1:1 scale around the house instead... Did paint my tiny S-Boot yesterday. Afte the primer cured I started with dark shadows, no 33 humbrol. Then I put the no 64 on, merely covering the surfaces so you still can see the shadowing. After that I mixed no 64 with some white and did some "filling" in big areas and at top of torpedo tubes, roofs and other stuff. I usually paint things as if the sun hits them from above, and always go from dark to light. The first layers I do with my singleaction gun, and after that I will use my doubleaction for more subtle detailing. But fact remains: It is still a runner, not a shelf-queen! It is good enough to me if it looks like the real deal a couple of feet away. Next step is to paint the deck, same method but with no 27 instead..

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:22:46 pm »

Hmm...got the order wrong! Sorry but that..

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:03:33 pm »

Painted the deck after masking hull and other light gray details. Did some deep shadowing first, doubleaction gun is used. Completed some of the shadowing I did before, and it starts to get "3D-ish" just my intention. Next step is to lighten up the dark gray, add some white to no27 and do some filling,
After that I´ll finish the build with the details missing, add some glossy clearcoat where I intend to apply decals. Finally do some washes, and some drybrushing, and, and.... OK, I´ll take her on a ride in the Baltic as well :-) All for now 

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:09:44 pm »

Fitted some missing details, did some additional airbrushing and picked out details with the 00 brush. Seems like I´ve misplaced the anchor >:-o Managed to crash one of the railings as well with my 1:1 scale thumb,, Starting to look OK, maybe a little bit dark but I´m sure that the drybrush will cure that.
Next step will be painting of the hull, decals, windows and some drybrushing. I´m not so impressed of my Revell crew. They are really boring! Somebody who knows about any other german sailors doing their thing?

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:13:16 pm »

Two more

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 10:04:12 pm »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »

Hi,
Paint job looking good  :-))
Keep up the good work

Some suggestions for your crew figures
U boat crews but I would suggest that their clothes were similar
http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1548&mode=thread&order=0

http://www.andreaeurope.com/en/1/andrea-miniatures/119/172-series.html

http://misc.kitreview.com/shipreviews/hg224previewbg_1.htm

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:25 am »

Thnx! And thank you for links. I really like Hecker and Goros figures, I have a type VII that came in my possesion for two weeks ago. I really don´t know how that happened, ;) but I really could use some good sailors aboard that one as well. The U-boot will of course have R/C aboard, but it will only be a "surfacer". But first I have to finish my schnellboot! i think the varnish have cured, maybe I´ll put on the decals before hitting the bed...

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »

At last I found the time needed for painting hull and applying decals. I had to rename it to S13 because I fumbled with the small numbers at the bow . Yes, I did say some bad swedish words.. I have some minor fitting to do, some additional painting and of course manning the tiny S. It starting to get cold in Sweden, so I will conduct some patrols before it get icy. And I will take some snapshots as well. Have to figure out a safe way to transport the thing... The rails almost break if you breathe on them, but still: It´s a fun boat straight out of the box, which has given me a lot of joy! ( It didn´t cost me a fortune either)
/All for now

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 11:25:28 pm »

excellent work

:-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18:09 am »

My 'carrier' for the e-boat is two pieces of timber, what we call skirting board (the wood trim at the base of walls around a room), being about 100mm deep, with a piece of rectangular timber fitted inbetween.
The base only extends from just past the bow to just before the propshaft exits the hull, this allows the props to sit below the hull and does not damage them, the base of the carrier is high enough that when you put the carrier down the prop / rudder is above the floor, the high sides of the carrier allow the boat to be moved without touching it, the width inside is just enough for the boat to fit in, the length is just past the stern and bow, lifting the boat in and out is at the bow and stern where there is little detail to damage if lifted correctly, the carrier looks like a floating dry dock.
It's also used as a place to sit when messing with the inside, if the carrier is turned over as in the picture, the prop and rudder still sit below the base and the vessel is sat flat on its keel.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 11:40:58 am »

It sounds like a really good solution! Thnx! And the S11 looks really good as well! What´s your setup in it?

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 11:43:16 am »

Hmm.. do you have any soft material in your "drydock"? Just to avoid scratches on the paintwork?

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 11:59:56 am »

it's a rough and ready solution for carrying, no soft material inside though, originally it was to be used as a lauching tool as well, so did not cover it as it would have got wet and rotted eventually (though found it was a little impractical for launching the boat with - sail in and out), not even varnished, the materials were offcuts / scrap etc, though I must admit I do need to make it more 'presentable'.

You could fit snooker table baize (I think thats what they call it) to limit the damage to the paintwork, but I dont varnish mine (lack of painting skills - read that as lazy), I had the idea that scratches etc over time, and repairs would move the item from looking prestine to weathered naturally  {-) , again - read that as lazy, in all fairness, mine do not get to sail that often, so the repairs/weathering hasn't got that far yet  {-)

running gear is a hot potch mix of coupled items, the last time she was shown on the water in front of a clubs open day, she was truly shown up as lacking in speed etc, the resulting refit did nothing to improve her, after seeing the deans marine set up, I was struck by how bad my builds are.  {-)  oh and the pictures are not that good - helps hide the bad painting (i'm not worthy - waynes world)

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »

Ahaa.. you really use your carrying device as a real drydock, clever of you! I´ll think I´ll copy that idea. Compared to Dean´s Marines boats and ships the Airfix wessels are somewhat..ehhh..rougher. But in a different pricegroup, in fact in a different priceplanet ok2 . I run mine on two props only, without rudders. And speed is really up to scale, I´ll try to  do a youtube clip, have to ask my 11- year old son how to do it first. :-) I have a Robbe S130, but it feels like a dead end with the foredeck. I´ve read Martins story, and yes; I agree- someone was really drunk at the factory when they designed the deck assembly. Maybe I´ll do the Revell 1/72 type XII first.. Building season is closing up now, and of course snowmobiling. Our national sport up in north of Sweden  ok2

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 01:49:47 pm »

after seeing top gear (motoring program) an the use of snowmobiles as boats/hydrofoils - your next project? {-)

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 03:09:06 pm »

Haha, in fact we have those kind of races! Amazing how far tou can get on water! Still, it always end up in the submarine way :} :}

urbfro01

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »

At last it w as time for my schnellboot to get wet! Of course I had not completed it, but it felt right to do it today. Had to scare the ducks away first, but once I had the S13 in the pond they left in a big hurry! ok2 ok2  At first everything went well, but as you can see in one of the pics I did bounce into a big stone. A couple of minutes before I told my sons to watch out for it, and I managed to hit it  myself.. Anyway, the S13 runs fairly well, it leans a bit to starboard, but from a disatnce it looks quite good. I did hit a tree (!) as well, broke my mast and the roof, which was "unglued" fell off. Yes, I was wet well over the knees, I got my punishment ok2 . Now it´s time for some repairs and final fittings. I really enjoyed this afternoon!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.