Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie has just ordered a boat  (Read 6724 times)

mikegunn

• Shipmate
Newbie has just ordered a boat
« on: June 07, 2013, 07:45:36 pm »

Hi everyone.
Having recently (last 2 years) started to achieve a lifelong ambition to fly model aircraft, my attention recently has also encompassed rc boats. I think I am likely therefore  to become a multi disciplined modeller (quad copter also being built....lol) as I just love models of all sorts. OK life history over (I'm a 59 year old kid by the way)!

Anyway, having just moved my static caravan to St Lawrence Bay in Essex I find a nice salt water boating lake on site that has no boats and that absolutely no-one uses. Suddenly my interest in boats has been re-awakened!! I have spend quite a few weeks looking into the subject and have been delighted that the hobby has moved forward so much since last reading about it, and therefore decided to buy one. My personal preference is for a boat that carves it's way through the water in a scale like manner, but has to be resonably quick too. I came to the conclusion that the 50mph medium size electric boats bounce around too much when confronted by a bit of choppy water and therefore fixed my mind on something a bit bigger. I have ordered something from HobbyKing and wonder what experienced boat modellers think? It's called the Warrior 1300 and sports a 26cc gas engine, servos etc....all ready to go once a radio is installed. I have also ordered a Spektrum MR300 receiver which would seem suited for marine use with my Spektrum Dx7s. For anyone interested just go to the Hobbyking site and type Warrior in the search box (links to HK pages would appear not to work)

I do realise that this is unlikely to be the fastest boat around but the small number of reviews I have found from customers on the HK site would indicate that fit and finish look really good and for the £260(posted) that it cost it seems like a lot of boat for the money. Any comments most welcome, especially in terms of what mods I could make to improve handling or performance. Comments from anyone who has seen one would also be great as precious little info exists on the web.
thanks....Mike :-))
With fronds like these who needs anemones?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie has just ordered a boat
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:08:15 pm »

Welcome to Myahem. The first round is on you.     :}

Have you cleared it with site owners regarding the engine you plan to use  ?  You may have to go out to the bay to sail her if the noise disturbs residents.  (been there etc.)

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:37:04 pm »

Hi Ken
Hmmmmmmm. Good point and no I have not. The lake is very close to the bay which hosts lots of  jet skis which really make a racket. I was kind of hoping my little efforts would go fairly unnoticed as the lake is surrounded by a high sea wall which would put me 6-8 feet under radar level. I will make some tentative enquiries though.
 Thanks for the heads up.

cheers.....Mike

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »

Hi Mike,

No probs.  We had a caravan once  (in the days of money) down in Poole so have an understanding of the residents and how particular they are.

Glad you're not offended, it was just something that caught my eye.

Cheers

ken

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:03:51 pm »

Hi Ken
Not offended at all and really happy to get some advice as I am a complete newbie. I know exactly what you mean about caravan residents, and to be honest I'm not terribly keen on anyone disturbing my peaceful retreat either.....lol
I have only managed to view one video of this boat and it seemed pretty quiet, which is one of the reasons I was attracted to it, as the engine is clearly not the highest revving beast ever to come off a chinese production line. I guess I 'll have to see when it arrives.
As for the first round are we talking real ale or shorts.....lol :o
cheers....mike

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:28:12 pm »

As long as we are not talking  'Holiday camp'  prices.    {-)

Ken

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 02:53:07 pm »

jut worked out how to do pictures so thought these might generate a few more comments (good or bad)  I know it's not real modelling but I need to see if I like sailing boats before spending months building one....... lol

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »

Not what one would call a beginners boat, but very nice!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:33:56 pm »

lol
Hope I have not gone too mad for a starter boat?
I'm happy with starting and running engines and RC modelling in general, I just have never tried a boat. I dont think it's crazy fast....prob 25 -30mph at best and I thought the size would make it less likely to flip over if the water was a bit choppy. Do you think it might be too much of a handful?
cheers....Mike

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 04:42:38 pm »

these boats are ok,not fast,but do have a good turn of speed to keep you busy,you get what you pay for, O0 should handle rough water ok,just make sure the radio box is water tight they do leak,as a starter boat it will be fine,but once you are use to it you will soon find yourself wanting more power and speed if it turns out to be something you enjoy.
im sure you will have hours of fun with it,hope you do :-))     kurt    black magic racing

FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 04:54:48 pm »

Do you think it might be too much of a handful?
cheers....Mike

Yes you should not take the chance and just sell it to me!  {-) ;D

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 06:26:01 pm »

Hi Kurt
Thanks for the advice aabout the battery box .....I was planning to spend a few hours checking everything on the boat and refastening all with thread lock. No doubt I'll dismantle quite a bit as if it's anything like RTF aircraft then assembly will not be as good as  if I had done it myself. I suspect you may be correct about the speed and power thing as I have already been looking at tuned pipes and the boat has not even arrived. I have also found what looks to be a great club that is local to me and if I enjoy tearing around with this one I will no doubt join and get sucked in to the whole scene. Guess I should start saving for the turbine?......lol
One question....is there any merit in changing the prop on this or do you think it will likely be a sensibly balanced set up already?
As for selling it essex2visuvesi, everything has it's price !
cheers.....Mike

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:06:08 pm »

That will be fine as a starter boat, my first petrol, that I got a couple of months ago, has 6.2hp and is mental for us, as we have never had a petrol. Probably a bit much for a first-timer, whish we brought something like yours to get used to it and gently get used to it  :-)) . You will love every minute of using a petrol, trust me, good luck! 8)
Reece

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 07:32:33 pm »

hi mike
prop will be ok for the boat,depending on what you do to it will depend on what prop you change to.for now just run it as it is,the engine isnt up to much but practice with it then you can always go down the tuned route,a good tuned pipe will make a bit of difference,make sure rudder servo is up to the job,and most of all please please put flotation in the boat,swimming noodles are the best thing to use,DO NOT  use expanding foam as it holds water
make sure you run it on a good 2 stroke oil,run it at about 20/1,once you have run it for abit running it in,you can lean the carb out abit for abit more power,but thats something to do later on
im sure you will enjoy the boat,i have a few boats i race and love every minute of it,
should you ever need any advice just ask mike,
all the best   kurt    black magic racing

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 12:18:25 pm »

Hi Reece
That sounds like a full blown racing boat........no doubt you had a blast with that !
Hi Kurt
Thanks for all the tips and I will go ahead exactly as you have advised. Just one question.....are swimming noodles the long sponge sticks that kids like bashing each other with? If so would 15mm water pipe lagging work the same, as apart from the fitting slot it looks identical and I already have some. Tack in place with some silicone or just a jam fit?
cheers....mike

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 12:42:57 pm »

Jam fit and yes its pretty much the same stuff

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 12:46:26 pm »

Brilliant.....thanks for that

cheers....Mike

gazncaz

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 12:48:02 pm »

Have you got the boat yet and used it whats it like ?   :-))

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 05:44:42 pm »

Hiya
I got it a while ago plus the Spektrum receiver but it has not even been started yet !
First impressions - what a big boat it is and it looks quite cool - stick on graphics maybe a little tacky but can always be removed. Id say the build quality is a little better than I expected bearing in mind the price and the engine looks ok. Assembly is another thing however and a quick connect up of a receiver and battery and the servo link alignment can be seen to be awful as the servos try to escape from the tray when operated. I need to do some work on the radio box and servo mounts to allow the linkages to move freely before any thoughts of a maiden skid across the pond and I just seem to have been too busy. Looking forward to it though as a relaxing alternative to my attempts at learning to fly flying planes..
Were you thinking of getting one or something similar?

Cheers....Mike

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 05:51:33 pm »

come on mike lets get this thing in the water lol {-) {-) {-)
kurt   black magic racing

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 06:16:34 pm »

Lol

Hi Kurt. Guess I have been delaying things a bit and suddenly all the good weather has gone. I was planning on popping the engine out so I can get used to starting and tune/run it in on a bench in the garden ......it will at least look like progress if I actually start it up !

cheers....Mike

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 05:50:49 pm »

Hi Mike
I am wondering if you have given your new boat a run yet, or started the engine. The hull in your photos looks remarkably like the one my mate bought and ran. And it definitely had the same engine etc. This clip showed his hull first outing: Those engines are very easy to start and not at all too noisey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJHqN-pGh8
Cheers
Craig ok2
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »

Hi Craig
Thanks loads for replying and posting the link as I've been looking all over Youtube for an example of what my boat may perform like and if it goes like that one I will be really pleased. %% I had a quick search around the net and see the Challenger originates from Fuyuanrc which is where mine started it's life (and then via HobbyKing), so I think you are right about it being the same boat with a slightly different deck and superstructure. Hardware and motor look identical with the only change I can see being my rudder has 2 water outlets going to head and exhaust.
Having now seen how well it can perform do you think there is any point of applying upgrades to such a boat? Having seen the video some turn fins might be in order just to maximise it's current performance, but would tuned pipe/new carb/better prop offer much improvement? I'm kind of developing the view that (apart from the fins) it's probably best to just enjoy it as it is and then if I get the bug, to then go for an all round improved boat.  Any thoughts?
I have now started the engine which at first was difficult. I soon realised my problem in that I had the servos out and no linkages to the throttle so the motor was sitting at cut-off point. As soon as I held the throttle open a little it burst into life and for a cheap engine was amazingly responsive. I have however now realised the drawback of petrol engines.....my workshop stinks. >:-o Gonna find a large plastic bag to cover it with ! :-))

Best wishes....Mike :-)

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 07:59:05 pm »

Hi mike

You will enjoy this boat. It is a very nice introduction to gas powered model boats. The gas engines are cheap to run  you"ll love the clutch, and when you sell the engine and muffler on ebay, you"ll get most of your money back to invest in a proper engine.

Before long, you'll probably want a lot more speed, by ripping the Chinese lawn mower of an engine out and replacing both the engine, manifold and pipe with a race thorough bred, probably a stock zen or equivalent which are quick, much more powerful, reliable and very good value.

I did this with my rtr Navicraft cat, and it turned a fun rtr boat into a nice racer.

Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 10:04:51 am »

Hi Mike
I am glad you found the video clip helpful. In answer to the points you raised from my personal opinion: I think you should give your boat a run first and see how it goes before thinking about any power upgrades. I would enjoy it as it is but do test the radio box to make sure it keeps dry when submersed in water. My first petrol boat was an RTR and to be honest while it was a great bit of kit for learning how everything worked and while the hardware looked the business, the quality of the installation and hardware had many shortcomings.
In terms of experimentation, I would limit that to adjustments of the existing drive gear and propeller choice. I would not spend money on different engine parts because I think the scope for improvement would be limited with such an engine. And even if you get more power from the engine you might find that the hull hits its limit in terms of handling.
If you enjoy the boat as it is, fantastic. If you get the bug for wanting more performance, I would (as I did) seek to build a new boat from scratch with a Zenoah engine and top quality hardware. That route makes it much easier to end up with a high performance boat and in fact does not cost that much more money.
Do keep us posted when you have given the boat its first run.
Oh and just on a safety note: Do be careful if you are smelling petrol fumes in your workshop. If you are able to smell petrol it could indicate a potentially explosive concentration which could be triggered by switching on your light of any naked flame or spark. Never start/run the engine in an enclosed shed or garage and always leave it in a safe place to let any fumes dissipate before storing it inside.
Cheers
Craig :-))
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.