Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie has just ordered a boat  (Read 6727 times)

mikegunn

• Shipmate
Re: Newbie has just ordered a boat
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 12:02:43 am »

Hi Craig
Thanks for taking the time to put a really good reply together. I  will do as you advise and just run the boat as it is and see how things go. I suspect the aluminium prop will be the first thing to break as soon as I hit something submerged so that will then give me some room to experiment in prop selection. I had drained the fuel tank completely and the odour of fuel now seems to have subsided.....I'll leave it outside to air the next time I run it up. You are right about the installation of the radio and servos which is why the radio box is out of the boat right now......a real lash up with binding linkages and the servos trying to lift themselves out of their tray. It looks like the hole in the radio tray for the rudder pushrod is misaligned with the hole in the rear of the boat (transom?) . Shouldn't take too much effort too sort out.

Cheers.......Mike
With fronds like these who needs anemones?

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 06:48:24 pm »

Hi Mike
Just on your propeller: I bet that the stock supplied prop is a blunt as anything. So without buying a new prop you will have potential performance (and handling gain) by making it properly sharp. And better still by balancing it properly although that ideally requires a prop balancing tool.
In respect of your supplied radio box and internals: I would if need be replace the wooden tray and re-cut the holes to allow the servos to align properly with the exit holes for the linkages. I hate binding of any kind because it compromises control and sucks power from the battery pack due to the unnecessary extra loading on the servos.  Also if possible keep that rudder push rod straight throughout its length as any bends can make the steering surprisingly unreliable.
In respect of the crucially important water proofing of the box: My first RTR boat had two extreme weaknesses that allowed water in. First was the lid and foam seal supplied. The foam was very thin (about 2mm) as was the lid (3 or 4mm thick). So when the few bolts were screwed down, the lid bent down where the bolts were and between them was a gap (hardly noticeable) sufficient to allow water to pour inside. You could slide a piece of paper in between the foam and lid. My solution was to replace the Perspex with a thicker sheet and replace the foam with thicker foam.
The second less obvious water entry point was due to the way the box was fastened to the internal wooden rails. Four bolts went through the plastic box into the rails. These bolts were not sealed and water came in this way. I no longer mount plastic boxes this way. Instead I use external brackets that are permanently attached to the box allowing for the mounting bolts to remain external for easy removal and following removal of the box there is no need to worry about sealing the internal bolts again.
My comments here have addressed just a few of the issues I faced with my RTR boat. I hope you don’t mind me sharing them and I certainly hope I haven’t put you off!
Cheers
Crai[/font]g :-))

Print size cannot be adjusted.  How did you achieve this ?

ken
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

mikegunn

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 07:35:03 pm »

Hi Craig
As you guessed the radio box is a compromise and does not even have clamp down screws/bolts - it's just a clip on plastic lid. They have made an effort in that it is ribbed and uses O ring rubber section to effect the seal but in reality it's probably splash proof only and I will probably make a replacement as it's very small making alignment of both linkages harder than it needs to be.
The prop leading edges wont cut anything but are finished as a smooth edge....how sharp should they be? The trailing edge is milled at a 45 angle. I have a Top Flight magnetic balancer for my aircraft and tried the prop in it - horrible.as you guessed...it is so far out of balance as to be ridiculous so I'll give it some fettling.
Many thanks for all the advice, and no you are not putting me off...lol  :-)
cheers.....mike
With fronds like these who needs anemones?

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 08:47:48 pm »

Print size cannot be adjusted.  How did you achieve this ?

ken

Like this or this or this or this..............

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 09:01:23 pm »

print size has a mind  of it's own on MBM  {-) ........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 09:14:38 pm »

Once it's laid down by another computer  (hand held pad things??)  it seems to be set in stone and leaves funny  "size"  remarks in the print off and the print sizes can vary throughout the post.

I do try to clean these off if I can, but some are resistant to any alterations.

If you could preview before posting please, you may see these effects.   %)

Hope this helps,

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:55 pm »

Hi Mike
In my opinion the sharper the leading edge, the better. My props have to be tightened up with protection otherwise the leading edge will slice straight through ones fingers. That flat section of the trailing edge of a surface drive prop should be kept that way. A sharp prop will give better speed and it will help prevent other handling issues. If you do attempt to balance the prop bear in mind that the face of the blades should not be touched, although I guess that is common sense. As you have a prop balancer (and I prefer the magnetic types like you have) it should be fairly easy for you to maximise the potential of the supplied prop with zero extra cost.
Cheers
Craig
Ken: Just on print size, I drafted in word and pasted the text into my reply.
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 11:01:25 am »

Ah !!!    I've heard this before.

It seems that  'Word'  has the habit of dumping strange extras to any copy when transmitted.

It's best not to use it but to type directly into the mayhem site.

Glad to be of service.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 11:20:29 am »

Hullo Ken........we have been talking about the "word" Lord in another tread ......
So is your request of not using "Word" from the heaven's.... :}  or is it more aligned to Mr Gates in Redmond Avenue?......
Crazy..... %% ...this English language........Derek   O0 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.