Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First sailing yacht which one  (Read 7633 times)

paul gutteridge

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
First sailing yacht which one
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:07:06 pm »

Please can anyone advise on a first saling yacht for sailing at a club pool don't mind spending around £400 to £500 on a decent boat.
And where I could purchase one.
Thank you all

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
Re: First sailing yacht which one
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 09:34:41 pm »

Paul
If you're looking for a kit I would seriously recommend a 'Seawind' yacht by Kyoshu. It's quite easy to build, about 1metre long and will cost you approx. £300, and that includes a sail winch, rudder servo, TX & RX.
I built one about 3 years ago and have had endless fun with it.

Brian

paul gutteridge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »

Thank you Brian is that a good starting point for someone wanting to get into yacht racing maybe later.
Do u have to upgrade the servo winches on the seawind at all
Paul

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 11:38:13 pm »

Hi, you mention a club.  I would find out what boats others are sailing and see if this appeals.  Another approach is to buy a ready to run boat and see if it is what you want and then if you decide to build you can still join in sailing with other club members..
good luck,
Roy

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:40:39 am »

@Paul:
As suggested by roycv, see if you can find what other people are sailing locally. Having a similar boat can be good if you end up racing (social yacht racing is good fun)
There are a range of budget yachts about - with your suggested budget you could get almost anything.

In my area we are sailing mainly the Hobbyking boats (www.hobbyking.com) - we have mostly Monsoon, Legend, Phantom - they are all around the US$100 mark, needing only a radio and batteries - go sailing for well under US$200. They perform quite well, but need a few minor alterations &  improvements to make them waterproof. Also in a similar range is the Joysway Focus and Dragon Force, both good boats.

I suggest you also consider what size boat you can transport - if it will fit in your car fully rigged is convenient. A 600mm boat should fit in most sedans fully rigged. A 1 metre boat will squeeze into most station wagons fully rigged.

The other consideration may be how deep the water is where you are sailing. A 1 metre boat can have a draught of up to 450mm.

Hope this helps...

Amateur at work...

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:49:13 am »

The two key considerations have already be given.

1. What are others sailing in your local club(s).
Getting the same will allow you to tap into knowledge about a specific model. This will help with building, tuning the boat and sources of suppliers for spares, etc.
It will also allow you sail and compare how your boat performs, helping you improve your (and the boats) performance, you also have the option of racing (friendly or competitive).

2. Transport.
Size of boat, ease of rigging/de-rigging.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:26:03 am »

mr. Penguin you have a PM.
Roy

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:16:01 pm »

Thank you Brian is that a good starting point for someone wanting to get into yacht racing maybe later.
Do u have to upgrade the servo winches on the seawind at all
Paul

Hi Paul,
This type of inquiry generally yields some good suggestions from the guys on the forum. I wanted address your question regarding the Seawind - Sadly, the manufacturer has for the moment put the production of these time tested yachts on hold with no estimate on when or if they'll be back. Once in a while you can find one on E-bay. A company in Germany Stockmaritime may have some but they sell a modified version and get a pretty penny for their version. Here is a link to their web page http://www.stockmaritime.de/modellboote/vo/index.php?modellbau/320

Kyosho offered this boat at one time as a kit and as an RTR (almost ready to use) included a radio and servos etc. The sail servo they specified for this boat was the Futaba S 3801 which is my personal favorite for boats of this size (1M + or - an inch or two) Those to have been discontinued by Futaba. The specifications for this servo should provide you with a good point of reference for a good servo for this boat or other of similar size.
If you'd like that information just let me know and I can provide it for you. If you'd like to learn more about the Seawind check out this link: http://www.seawindrc.com/

Since the Seawind is going to be very hard to find for most, the good news is there are a number of other choices out there. The Shunbo products were mentioned as a low cost starting point - noting that they do require some tweaking to bring them to a fully  seaworthy status.

Kit boats are great way to get started! They are not hard to put together and typically yield a very good result.  A few brands to consider might include: Tippecanoe : http://www.tippecanoeboats.com/rc-sailboats, Victor Models http://www.victor-model.com/ and Thunder Tiger's Victoria http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKF85&P=7

These links are for US based companies -  there may be local sources there, but I am not familiar with them. Both Tippecanoe and Victor Models make a varity of sizes and styles - a visit to their web site should be worth the time. Prices are attractive - and shipping for kits shouldn't be too bad.

Like many of the forum members, I support the idea of finding a local sailing group - they are great to get you started and most are super friendly and are likely to let you sail one or two of their own boats - RC sailing offers a lot of ongoing fun for the money! Can be done solo or in group settings.
Either way, the result is a lot enjoyment and relaxation!  :-))

There are some decent RTR boats out there, some are discussed on this forum - reading is a great way to get you up to speed before you invest. Welcome and good luck.

Boomer

Posted pictures of a Tippecanoe T 37 , Victor V 32 and a Victoria

MattR

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »

Another option would be a Dragon Force RG65

http://www.rcyachts.org.uk/epages/Store3_Shop2540.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store3.Shop2540/Categories/Dragon_Force_65

RC Yachts as well as other model shops (Howes for one) now have them in stock. About £160 for a ready to sail boat.

More info here.. http://dragonforce65.com/

We have a couple sailing at Kingsbury Park MBC alongside our existing RG65 fleet. I'm very happy with the way mine sails straight out of the box but it will get a few tweaks (mylar sails) etc.

Cheers
Matt

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 02:53:00 pm »

Hello ,
              HOWES MODELS is the place to go, have a look at SURMOUNT.......GOOD VALUE..........Larry....
never pass a skip

paul gutteridge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 04:38:32 pm »

Hi all thank you for all your comments on which yacht I should go for I'm looking on sites and havnt yet made my mind up.
Does anyone know which yacht will go in a auris car boat fully made up.

Cheers all

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 05:09:15 pm »

Hi all thank you for all your comments on which yacht I should go for I'm looking on sites and havnt yet made my mind up.
Does anyone know which yacht will go in a auris car boat fully made up.

Cheers all

Most of the boats under discussion here are too large to fit in a standard sedan with fully assembled. The mast has to be down in order to fit in almost any standard family car. That is generally a pretty simple task - so not to worry! There are smaller boats that would fit - one of the best smaller boats is the Micro Magic. Comes as a kit and sails like a much larger boat. The company that made the MM's has been sold (Graupner) and it is not yet clear what models the new company is going to produce. There are still some out there for purchase and would make a terrific boat for you. I don't know the sources over there but the company selling them here at last contact had a few left.
Amazing boats!

Boomer

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 06:10:12 pm »

how about a fiesta...nice size,will fit most cars as it is, about£165 tony

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 08:47:47 pm »

What are peoples thoughts on the Joysway Carribean as a first yacht for an 11yr old girl ? One of my stepdaughters would like one, but we don't want to spend 00's on a boat and she doesn't like it
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 11:43:45 pm »

Smaller boats that will fit in a sedan.....
From my experience, a fully rigged Surmount (800mm) will squeeze into the back seat of a mid size sedan (just). Don't plan on any back seat passengers! It is a great boat, I like mine....

Avoid the Discovery 500 (from HobbyKing) - it is a real disappointment. Cheap, but very poorly made. I have one and would certainly not recommend it as a beginner boat as it needs quite a bit of modification to waterproof it. Also quite difficult to sail.

One boat that has not rated a mention here yet is the Dragon Force (hull length is 650mm I think)- only just being released, initial reports are that they sail very well, should be in your price range. Comes complete with radio. [Edit - oops - yes it has been mentioned]

Another budget boat in these smaller ones is the Turnigy 610 - fully rigged, this will stand up behind the drivers seat in a mid size sedan - nice little boat, pretty well finished for the price. Needs a radio - the cheap 2.4GHz ones from HobbyKing are ideal.

If you eventually decide to go a bit larger there are some techniques that make consistent pond-side rigging easier with the use of suitable rigging hooks etc. The larger boats are generally easier to sail than the little ones. Budget examples (from HobbyKing www.hobbyking.com) would be Legend (900mm), Monsoon (900mm) & Phantom (100mm)...  I have a local group here - we sail these all the time, good fun. Some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7YoVGWSomAQ

Amateur at work...

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 11:56:21 pm »

Another budget boat in these smaller ones is the Turnigy 610 - fully rigged, this will stand up behind the drivers seat in a mid size sedan - nice little boat, pretty well finished for the price. Needs a radio - the cheap 2.4GHz ones from HobbyKing are ideal.

I looked at that one but none in the EU or NL warehouses. A quick question tho, what sort of TX would be better for sailing with... twin stick or steering wheel type?

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 12:14:12 am »

I looked at that one but none in the EU or NL warehouses. A quick question tho, what sort of TX would be better for sailing with... twin stick or steering wheel type?

DEFINITELY twin stick. Trying to sail with a wheel controller is just hard work...

I have four of these radios (link below) - one per boat for me, they are simple but work great. Trim and channel reversing are all on the front. I prefer mode 2 (sailwinch on left) - they are also available in mode 1... they come complete with a receiver, the range is excellent (they are actually FlySky electronics inside)
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8338__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_4Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html

This unit does not require a computer to program (some of the other ones on the HK site do). The only thing to watch is that there is no endpoint adjustment, has not been a problem for me, I just mechanically limited the stick travel a bit.....

Amateur at work...

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:24 am »

Thanks.... I have a couple of Acoms twin sticks laying around.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 04:30:08 pm »

the micro magic from graupner is a good yacht , and can often be found in the used market for around 150 pounds complete with radio , i have two which fit fully rigged in the rear footwells of my small triumph saloon car , im awaiting my dragon force , although i understand they will also fit rigged in the back seat of my own car !

Colin.L.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 03:08:31 pm »

Hi there, my vote for what i'ts worth, goes to Thunder Tiger Victoria, it sails well in standard form, with oodles of online tips for tuning/ improving for racing . About £120ish plus servos and radio, for standard guise then you can throw as much money as you like at it on gradual improvements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.