Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is best Matt, Satin or gloss  (Read 1535 times)

junglelands

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Which is best Matt, Satin or gloss
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »

Hello, I'm building the Bismarck 1/200 the hull is almost finish. This is my first model, i have filled, sanded filled a few times but when i sprayed the gray primer on you could see some of were i filled, it's not to bad. To be honest it's the i can do, was just wondering which paint shows up the marks the most Matt, Satin or gloss, Which one hides your filling marks the best...Thanks for your time {:-{

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Which is best Matt, Satin or gloss
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:44:36 pm »

At that scale I would only use matt but preperion makes the finish not the paint
Regards Howard.

nsa66

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:24:28 am »

As Howard says, preparation of the surface before priming/painting is all important. Try to get as perfect a finish as possible before priming and use several coats of primer,gently flatted down between coats. However, to answer your question, you will find that matt paint shows imperfections more than other finishes.

After 20 years of modelling I still can't decide what finish best represents full size ships. Most ships look pretty matt at close range, largely due to a coating of salt, but at some lighting angles can seem very glossy and reflective. I generally use Halfords' acrylic sprays as I find them very easy to work with and very hard wearing. I then cover them with a light coat of satin varnish. I suppose if you were modelling the RY Britannia or a millionaire's gin palace then full-on gloss would be apt.

junglelands

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:52:34 am »

That's the problem it looks fine from one angle, but when look from a different angle you can see small marks....Thanks for the help greatly appreciated :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:40:02 pm »

It does sound as if you need to smooth the hull further. See Stavros's guide to painting.

ref ..........http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39337.0.html.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.