Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model worth dying for  (Read 2197 times)

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
Model worth dying for
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:09:03 am »

This clip was sent to me few days ago and reminded me of similar rescue few years back, when I almost lost my model, which was not worth much. I somehow blew electronics, boat started to float down the river, then I send my springer to rescue, but due my clumsiness both floated away. Then my younger brother suddenly jumped in and rescued both! Man he swam that day!!
Models are precious, but worth loosing life for?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAckMQdB4U4&feature=youtu.be

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model worth dying for
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:55:46 am »

We had an incident down here a few years ago at the mouth of the Inglis river inWynyard, a guys model boat stopped out in the middle and he decided to swim out for it and was never seen again, very sad for all involved.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:43:35 am »

I do like spaniels, but I wouldn't trust a springer to rescue anything.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

dmw_boatboy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model making is a way of life
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:02:12 am »

At the end of the day however sad or anoying it is losing a boat at least it is replaceable unlike human life.

Its makes me think of people here in winter when they try and rescue there dogs from frozen lakes.
they end up dieing and the dog more times than not makes it out ok.

I dont normally run on rivers but when i do i take a small teliscopic fishing rod and real with a big float and specialy made hook so if i get in trouble i can fling it out and rescue it.

STOP DONT PANIC THINK!
Lets see some sunshine i would like to go boating!!

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »

Sense should have prevailed me thinks. A beautiful very expensive, large scale model is on a canal that actually has real, large scale boats chugging up and down. I know, that it looks like they have a proper jetty and obviously use it a lot but still...a model boat, and we all know how they work one day and not the next, in a traffic area is asking for it. They guy in the water is lucky, it looked cold. I don't understand why they try and sacrifice one of the smaller boats in trying to get the other to out of the way, would have been cheaper in the long run.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:20 pm »

I've gone in several time to rescue boats but only because I'm very confident in my swimming ability and know when its to cold.

I only do this because I have been qualified as a life guard for half my life and used to do inshore rescues in a previous job.

I know only to well what can happen and how easy it is for something to do dreadfully wrong.

I've only gone in once when it was to cold and that wasn't after a boat it was a rescue and I knew straight away I had to get out as quickly as possible.

Looks like a beautiful model and am glad they got it back but boats can be replaced.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 09:55:50 am »

I have in the recent past been involved in boat rescues on my lake, BUT I know exactly what the lake bottom is like, how deep it is AND I have the right gear for the circumstances - chest waders and a big stick.  There is no such thing as a model boat worth dying for.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 12:20:03 pm »

You have to act within reason at all times with water and ice or you risk probable death. Not many things would tempt me into a water I did not know.

As for dogs and adults on promenades in bad seas, I wouldn't ever go in. Only a child is worth the risk in bad conditions.
Many people have died just for pets.

Dave

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 05:07:21 pm »

I can tell you exactly what the captain of that ICV thought, but not on a public forum  %)

Should've hoisted 2 balls. And sounded 5 blasts of the horn when the ICV was getting close  ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.