Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaport saves the day  (Read 3632 times)

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Seaport saves the day
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:35:44 pm »

Hi all,am very new to boats,having converted from r/c pla*nes and thoroughly enjoy it.Managed to get a flat battery with my Club 500 this aft. and was be-calmed in the middle of the club lake,the lads couldn't help at that distance so i waited and waited for it to drift to the side which it didn't.In the end i nipped home,5 min walk away,i'm lucky,and fetched my Seaport [converted to 2.4] and had a great 40 minutes nudging practice pushing it into the side,very slowly,backwards and forwards,first time i had ever done this finishing with a great 30ft sideways push,leaned down and lifed the Club [and Seaport] out.I was a happy man i tell you as i suspect the Club would have been in a Car Boot Sale,miles away,very soon.The lessons from this is for any newbie is 1.Time your battery runs 2.Get a Seaport Workboat,worth it's weight.Thanks for reading.Bob.   

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Seaport saves the day
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:13 am »

Couldn't agree more Bob.

My paddler the Connaught, 8 feet 6inches, broke down and drifted into the hull of the full size Maid of the Loch at least a hundred metres away. My modified Seaport managed the rescue no problem by hooking in behind the anchor catshead on the Connaught.

Glad you got your boat back safe and sound. Seaports rule!

Andy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:00:43 am »

Andy....naturally being a paddleduck  O0 ...I know the sad & not so sad build history of your PS Connaught ....how did she breakdown?........I have never read any of the same on PD's........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:41 pm »

Derek

It was some considerable time ago. The cotter pin on the drive pulley on the paddle shaft sheared. I think I may have caught some debris in one of the paddles. The model drifted in below the paddle sponson on the Maid of the Loch. At first I thought it was radio trouble but discovered eventually that I had rudder control. As you know the rudder extension on Connaught is pretty big and by dint of waggling it back and forward like a fish tail I managed to get clear of the Maid and let the Seaport in to do it's salvage job.

Unfortunately haven't sailed Connaught in a long time as transport is a big problem.

Sorry Bob. We seem to have hijacked your thread.

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:45:58 am »

Couldn't agree more Bob.

Glad you got your boat back safe and sound. Seaports rule!

Andy

I think these simple tugs are sniffed at by some people but everyone that has one ( and converted it to real radio ) seem very satisfied with them, even a soft spot for it!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 11:22:56 am »

I agree with everything said above. Stick a decent radio in the Seaport are a good fun boat, whatever you do with it, anyone who snubs a little fun boat the doesn't take itself too seriously needs to rethink their attitude to the hobby in my opinion.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.