Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe it's just me...  (Read 5141 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
Maybe it's just me...
« on: June 11, 2013, 11:26:04 pm »

Right guys, as some of you know I do static sunken models, planes with mini subs,WWII subs, ship etc as well as sail my RC boats. I get enjoyment out of them and they help me with disability in keeping my hands active. However, a guy that saw my models was very rude...he actually said: "What the **** are they?" "They are the biggest load of **** that I have ever seen" I replied that I was sorry that he didn't like them but for me, I enjoyed making something different from the norm as nobody really makes sunken vessels etc. I told him that I did sunken vessels due to my disability as, for me, it is easier to make than try and do really nice looking model that is too fiddly. He then replied, "Well, I figured you had to have something wrong with you to make **** like that."

This is a tad upsetting but I figured the guy was just a dick...although I have started to doubt myself over my sunken wrecks...maybe they are ****.

Si:(
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Maybe it's just me...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:35:14 pm »

They're your models - you make them how you like. They are for your enjoyment, not anyone else's.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:39:15 pm »

You build for your enjoyment, and build what creatively inspires you.  As enthusiasts we don't disparage other peoples models, but appreciate they are like minded souls who are building miniature recreations of real ships in real situations to the best of their ability.

You carry on what you are doing and ignore idiots who have no imagination and probably do not have the ability to turn a vessel into a reality.

I have been fascinated with your builds, so please keep posting them with regular photos.  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:43:55 pm »

Right guys, as some of you know I do static sunken models, planes with mini subs,WWII subs, ship etc as well as sail my RC boats. I get enjoyment out of them and they help me with disability in keeping my hands active. However, a guy that saw my models was very rude...he actually said: "What the **** are they?" "They are the biggest load of **** that I have ever seen" I replied that I was sorry that he didn't like them but for me, I enjoyed making something different from the norm as nobody really makes sunken vessels etc. I told him that I did sunken vessels due to my disability as, for me, it is easier to make than try and do really nice looking model that is too fiddly. He then replied, "Well, I figured you had to have something wrong with you to make **** like that."

This is a tad upsetting but I figured the guy was just a dick...although I have started to doubt myself over my sunken wrecks...maybe they are ****.

Si:(

Eddy , it is he that has a disability, not you....

A DISABILITY TO BEHAVE LIKE A REAL HUMAN BEING.

forget such people's insults, for they know not what they do.............. and as for your models........I would love to see some on here.........

Shipwrecks have a fascination for me, and although I have a goodly number of books on them, I have never seen any models of the same..........please give me a treat and post some pics of yours, and above all, take his insults as nothing more than jealousy from a brainless moron who wouldn't have a clue on how to start a model never mind finish one.

and remember a quote my grandad once said to me.........no model is a bad one lad.........every one you see has been built with love and care!!!.......he was a master cabinet maker, but never deminished another mans work as he said and I quote again....there's always someone better than you lad so mind yer tongue,

enjoy your modeling and be happy.

neil.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:47:56 pm »

Not at all Eddie,
Modelling is about enjoying and doing it how we like best,I for one only work with plastic which is what I enjoy doing others say wood is better, We all have our own way of working and enjoying what we like in our hobby. Please dont let this saddo put you off  I bet he could,nt make anything anywhere as near as good as you.
             Regards Howard.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:54:35 pm »

Thank you guys, I know I was being daft really, just shook me up regarding his hostility regarding my models. I looked at them and thought, yeah, maybe they are crap. Just venting off I suppose and I knew you guys would be there for me, not after praise from you, as we all work differently as you have said, just a comforting word or two just to re-afirm that it doesn't matter what I make or how I make em.

Thanks again fellas.

Si:)

PS Neil, there are a few threads on here, in submarines and under warships with pictures of my diorama models.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:01:52 am »

Unfortunately due to Health & Safety the gene pool is becoming polluted  ;)
Keep up the good work  :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:03:09 am »

PS Neil, there are a few threads on here, in submarines and under warships with pictures of my diorama models.

Cheers eddie...........those two sections I seldom look at as I had a disaster with a sub once and was made to make a 9' model of a Scharnhorst for a school I taught at some years ago by the deputy head master....it bored me to tears..............but will have a look for yours tomorrow..........off to bed now to get my beauty sleep..........I need it.

neil.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 12:11:25 am »

You can't please everyone ....,and why should you?

As long as you're happy with the end result and enjoy your hobby you have achieved your goal, there's an awful lot out there that achieve nothing

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 12:47:01 am »

The sad part is that I bet you had a thousand positive comments that day but the ones we remember the longest are usually the nasty ones.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Covert

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 06:14:46 am »

Just goes to show they are not all locked up yet !
If i didnt like someones model i wouldent have the nerve to say things like that .
Some people just want to get a reaction !
All the best and keep modeling

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 06:43:43 am »

Keep up the good work Eddy, their problem, not yours cheers
vnkiwi

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

jimmy2310

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 07:52:40 am »

Take no notice Eddie, keep up the the good work and post more photos the more the better.
Jimmy
“Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!”

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:34 am »

I do hope it was not on this site  that you wad insulted

Dave

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:38 am »

Eddie,
I am sorry to hear that you have had this experience, but don't be put off by one person.
Perhaps others have summed him up better than I could.

BTW you can go to your mailbox and block him from sending you messages in future.
The best way to deal with bullies is to ignore them. Otherwise you are just feeding a troll.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 08:33:47 am »

Ta guys. :-)

You know, now I have slept on it I don't know why I got wound up, you guys have summed it all up nicely. I build for me so stuff him.

It wasn't anybody on this site or at my boat club just a bloke of a friend that does modelling, he saw mine and suddenly started to slate them. Like I said I think it was shock at his reaction, I know they're not to everybody's taste but it was just out of the blue and really nasty. No need for it.

Thanks again guys for bolstering me and for allowing me to vent off.

Si:)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 08:57:34 am »

In the art world most of the old masters were
slated at one time or another.
Si, be happy to be judged by fellow modellers and
disregard the hoi polloi who are short on brain cells.

Let's see the next one :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 09:00:41 am »

:-)) Eddie we like them so don't take any notice of other people,keep your pecker up and carry on making your models,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:20 am »

Since when did a Yorkshireman need smoke blowing up his a**e to make him feel better?

You're letting the side down to even take notice of crettins, how many more times, it's whatever floats (or in this case sinks) yer boat.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 09:52:34 am »

Just email him this
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 10:14:36 am »

Eddie,
His comments show more about him than your models.
We all get it sometimes.
Years ago I had a 1/96 scale Prinz Eugen and at 1 show someone was VERY rude about my "Scharnhorst" even though the label did say Prinz Eugen.
I just laughed, idiots are all around but to me it is inexcusable being rude!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 10:27:19 am »

having seen the photos of the old Dornier they have just recovered from the goodwin sands I think that your model 'wrecks' are quite realistic with regards to the encrustations etc, so go for it, nothing wrong with a good bit of weathering.
Grendel

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 10:44:09 am »

:-)) Many years ago at a pond in east London a young lad sailing his pride and joy was torn to pieces by this know it all, now that young man was inconsolable and was lost to this great hobby for ever,my boats are not perfect far from it anyone could easy pull them to pieces but I enjoy building them and sailing them,seems to me that some people's only enjoyment in life is making others miserable,you enjoy what you do and we enjoy looking at them,Ray :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 10:57:13 am »

Something to bear in mind
Model boating in all it's shape and forms is a hobby, nothing more no matter what some people might say.... and a hobby by definition should be something that brings you enjoyment.  If at the end of your hobby session you have a feeling of accomplishment and for want of better word, happiness then you are doing it right!

I think Monty Pythons Patsy said it best

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 11:00:49 am »

looked at your model diorama's last night before going to bed Eddie.............they are great....vey atmospheric and something to be proud of................a great use of mediums, and I like them.
neil.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.