Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wavemaster 34  (Read 3308 times)

wayne123

• Shipmate
Wavemaster 34
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:02:40 am »

Hi All

I,m looking at getting the wavemaster 34 from vintage mode boats, they list a 545 7.2 volt 5 pole motor for this model but because of it's size I was thinking of using something bigger or going brushless.

I am thinking of going with a 12v battery or a 4s 14.8v lipo, what i'm after with regards to performance is not a rocket ship but something that would give me a good sporty performance like a real huntsman, something that will lift the bow and push it along with some authority.

Anybody built this size wavemaster or similar and could give me some good advice. 

Thanks
Wayne

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
Re: Wavemaster 34
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:38:03 am »

Hi Wayne, recently completed same kit and trialled at Wicksteed. Here's a (not very good) video clip that may give you an idea of the performance achieved using a Caldercraft 750 motor with a 7.2v 4.2 amp battery pack. Gets up on the plane nicely and handles a treat, motor only slightly warm after flat out running.  Regards, Tony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rux1xmhVmvU

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:14:22 pm »

I also have recently completed a Wavemaster but a 25 not a 34.  I was advised that the 540 motor would do the trick but even in a substantially smaller version the performance could charitably described as "sedate",    tt1's 34 looks to run fine on the 750 so that may be the way to go.  I've just fitted a brushless to mine, an Emax CF2822 but I haven't had a chance to give an open water test.

It's a well found boat in any size,  It handles nicely and although mine wasn't very fast even with the 540 motor it would get up on the plane.  I'm certain you won't be disappointed with the Wavemaster
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 02:43:39 pm »

Have you considered a "hot" 540 motor from an RC car? would make for a nice easy swap and they are quite cheap now
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »

Have you considered a "hot" 540 motor from an RC car? would make for a nice easy swap and they are quite cheap now
If you decide to go that route, pick a motor with a smooth can, which will accept a watercooling jacket, a car motor isn't the best solution in a boat...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 06:35:51 pm »

As Les (Tailuk) says, brushless may well be the way to go for out and out performance, haven't got into them yet myself yet but am more than happy with the 750 for this model, the video clip doesn't show a flat out run by the way, just handling and take off trials really.      Regards, tony.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 09:22:32 pm »

Sorry, forgot to mention the prop - it's a 55mm X type 2 blade plastic.

terminalspeed

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 05:02:55 pm »

Re 34" Wavemaster, i use a 700 Graupner brushed motor an M F A wound speed control, 7.2 volt 3000 mah nimh pack and a standard 2 blade 45mm prop, i find x props grab to much battery time.
 The boat runs superb and i get fed up before the battery runs flat, a 40mm s prop runs even longer with only a slight drop in top speed.

Gordon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.