Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint Stripper help  (Read 3097 times)

Ferry cross the Mersey

• Full Mayhemer
Paint Stripper help
« on: June 09, 2013, 04:32:04 pm »

Hi, mods please move if in wrong section.

I have now got 2 vessels that need stripping back to their bare wood. I re-painted my Saint Germain ferry but I'm not happy with the outcome. I want to strip it all to the wood and start again. The hull isn't too bad as I can sand that off, it's the decking and the super structure. The decking is made up of small strips of veneer varnished but looks old and dirty while the super structure is white which looks like the old lead type paint. I've tried nitromors with no luck. It just sits on top and dries. There's loads of nooks and crannies and I want to get it all off to have a nice smooth starting point. My other vessel is an old German sub that also needs stripping right back. What is the best way to get this old paint off? Please help.

Thanks Antony
Nothing right now. Waiting for the right project. Come on Carl. FEV on the horizon!!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paint Stripper help
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:09:13 pm »

I'm surprised that Nitromors didn't shift it.  What sort of paint is it?  Last year I had some acrylic that I didn't like on a plastic model and found some stuff (can't remember the name) in the decorating section of my local B&M.  On the one hand, there were no warnings on the can, so the first thought was that it couldn't work.  On the other hand, I was risking about £1.49, so I got some and tried it.  Paint turned to a jelly that could be shifted with water and a brush, all the detail left for a new start.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:53:34 pm »

Malcolmfray not at all surprised that Nitromous didnt work it is a shadow of it's former self it is down to Elf and safety and they can not use the same chemicals that they used to.

My Decorator swears by Rustings Paint stripper and I must admit it worked brilliantly on a mgb bonnet that had 26 coats of paint on it only needing 3 applications

Dave

Ferry cross the Mersey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:00:51 pm »

Malcolmfray not at all surprised that Nitromous didnt work it is a shadow of it's former self it is down to Elf and safety and they can not use the same chemicals that they used to.

My Decorator swears by Rustings Paint stripper and I must admit it worked brilliantly on a mgb bonnet that had 26 coats of paint on it only needing 3 applications

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's on my shopping list now.
Nothing right now. Waiting for the right project. Come on Carl. FEV on the horizon!!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:30:08 am »

Brake fluid is quite an effective paint stripper
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:29 am »

I am sure that on here someone said that Fairy Power Spray is good on plastic, not tried it myself but you never know.

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:51:43 am »

FPS or Mr Muscle oven cleaner works well on the chromed plastic found in model kits.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:23:12 pm »

..... Oh! 'Paint' stripper.... misread that title then!     %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05:27 pm »

Hi guys

I used Fairy Power Spray. It took only a few sprays to very gently remove paint from the fifties - excellent and no nasty residues.. However it would not touch the undercoat, not in the slightest. FSP firmly remains my first option to try on anything.

Dave
......... The Nitromors in my shed must be ancient stuff because the fumes alone melt flesh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.