Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch Build LCVP  (Read 12239 times)

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Scratch Build LCVP
« on: June 21, 2013, 08:54:07 pm »

Hi everyone!,
While ive had a week off work I decided to start building a 1/16th LCVP based on pictures and basic plans I can find on the internet, so far im really enjoying it and looking forward to getting it in the water! So far ive managed to complete the hull (although the shape isnt exactly right :embarrassed: ). Trying to keep the cost of the build down im using one of the motors out of my Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit (which has been barely touched in the box for 7 years or so!...I prefer working with wood alot more) and a 3 channel 2.4ghz transmitter and reciever from one of my RC cars, I hope to somehow use the 3rd channel to operate the ramp at the front (mechanism yet to be thought of  {:-{ )
Heres a picture of how it looks so far! Sinice this picture I now have the engine, rudder and prop in place.

Stavros

Re: Scratch Build LCVP
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:49:02 pm »

Hi And Welcome to the madhouse so to speak.......first round is YOURS  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Right with regards to your ramp problem it is relativly simple to do what you need is a cable like a bike cable with an outer and inner...I think the aeromodelrs use them on on flaps etc ....fix one end so it can push and pull and obviously the other end to the servo...other will come on and give you the proper name for them. they are called bowden cable .....old age etc

Dave

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:51:13 pm »

theyre called bowden cables  :-))

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:54:24 pm »

Beat me to it !!!!!!!!!!!Thanks

Dave

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:34 pm »

Ive been thinking about building an lcvp. I did one a couple of years ago but with some cheap toy rc car parts. It was small. Biggest problem i had was getting the batteries in somewhere. If i build another one ill do it like yours, i like the hull of your lcvp. Its a good begginers hull.

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 10:16:13 pm »

Thanks thats really useful I'll look into getting one of those cables! Luckily with the battery the Hull was unintentionally made a little deeper at the front so I'll b able to squeeze one in beneath the floor.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 09:29:34 am »

The big LCT ( strictly semi-scale! ) needed about half a kilo of lead built into the door to ensure it would always drop. This had a braided steel cable for the last 50cm of its line, then attached to cord and wound round a drum at the stern of the boat.

Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 05:55:56 am »

Tom,

Your LCVP hull looks great  :-)) . I built a 1/12 scale one last year, as a "what if" someone bought it war surplus and used it for a inter-island construction company. My bow ramp doesn't work; I'm not good at "monkey motion", but I love to build and paint. Keep up the good work.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 03:45:46 pm »

Thanks Mark your lcvp looks great! its the painting im not so good at, at the moment I have coated the inside with epoxy, sand sealed the outer hull and bought some grey primer and grey spray paint from halfords so I'll soon be painting as soon as I fit the floor in tomorrow all being well. Im looking forward to having a bash at weathering it a little too.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 04:57:27 pm »

Painting is all about prep work and taking your time. Make sure grease and muck is cleaned off before any spray work and just do light coat passes, you can always build up the layers-nice even strokes, keep moving. Weathering is a case of using sponge techniques to add mottling, also can be used to smear, wet paint on brushes for dark rust patches then when dry use dry brushing-hardly any paint on to add lighter tones and highlights.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:50:27 pm »

Just an update, few more bits added!

Does anyone know where I can get a 1/16th (or near) willys jeep (or similar). Ive also bought a bowden cable which looks like it should do the trick for the front (thanks!). Painting soon {:-{

Tom

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:10 pm »

Tom,

1/18th scale is common size for the metal diecast vehicles. I'm pretty sure I've seen one somewhere. 1/16th and 1/18th are pretty close to the same size.

Mark

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 10:04:23 pm »

Tom,

1/18th scale is common size for the metal diecast vehicles. I'm pretty sure I've seen one somewhere. 1/16th and 1/18th are pretty close to the same size.

Mark

Ive only seen them on ebay but they're rather expensive! hoping there would be a plastic kit about i could make but doesn't look like there is,

Tom

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:07:48 pm »

Tom,

Try www.diecastmodelswholesale.com  look in the Willys section; 1/18th WW2 jeep for $49.00

Mark

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:35:59 pm »

The old willy's jeep is a pretty basic shape, would be easy to build one from sheet plastic, or even balsa.
Then you only require axle and wheel/tyres.
Just a thought
cheers
vnkiwi   :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 09:54:23 am »

Try the www.tankzone.co.uk you might find useful stuff there.

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:18 am »

Thanks for all the replys I will look into those!!
Spent this morning finishing off the front, I looked at various pictures I could find and settled with this. I opted for 3 sheets of balsa which I glued together and then sanded to the desired shape, I couldn't face sanding a harder wood! I'll probably coat it in expoxy to give it a bit more protection should it get knocked.

Tom

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 10:43:20 am »

Looking really good Tom.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 12:02:55 pm »

The two Jeeps in my landing craft were 1/18 scale. One by a company called Gate and the other with the canvas up by Solido. Both fairly rare commodities at the moment im afraid.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 12:24:26 pm »

Hi Tom,
Jeep
at 1/16th, ready to go, if you want it
PM sent
cheers
vnkiwi

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46:59 pm »

Looks fantastic!!!!!  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 09:49:31 am »

Started a new job recently so progress has been slow the last few weeks! what do people recommend for coating the outside of the hull, ive used plywood so there are tiny little cracks in the wood which when painted wont get filled, ive used sand sealer but i dont think that will be enough for a completely flat surface

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 10:27:58 am »

Either fill them (see Stavros' paint sticky) or apply a high build spray putty, then sand it all off, and your wee cracks should be filled. If not apply again and sand all off, then prime and paint.
Alternative is to tissue cover as outlines in Dave Milburn's Swordsman build.
cheers
vnkiwi

ps
PM sent re Jeep.

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
  • The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
  • Location: San Marcos, California (North San Diego County, USA)
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 08:23:38 am »

Don't know if you need photos for your build, but I took these when I visited LST 325 a few years ago.

Rob

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re
behind us… they can’t get away this time” — Lieutenant General Lewis B.”Chesty” Puller
(when surrounded by 8 enemy divisions)

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 02:20:43 pm »

Well its been a while but with starting a new job and other things happening I've been making slow progress but I'm able to do a lot more now.
Ive painted all the hull grey and will look to give it more of weathered look once i figure out how best to achieve this.
Im keeping my eye out for some 50mm machine guns (may need to make these as i can't seem to find any) as well as making the gunners cockpits which will straight forward to do. also keeping an eye for some cleats.
With the door i was originally going to use a standard servo with a bike gear/ brake cable but found the servo arm didn't give enough reach. At this point i decided too i want to make the door work as it would have done on a real LCVP so i bought 4 pulleys and then created some housings for them to lower and lift the door. To achieve this i bought a winch servo which rotates twice, when i first fitted this and attached 1 side to the door i took a quick video (copy and paste link below into the browser) and i think it will work well! :-)
I've also started the paint the jeep (posts above).
Ive had the electrics in and got these working but I'm yet to test it in the water!

http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/tomc89/media/20140628_141638_zpsf7360bc9.mp4.html

Tom

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 21 queries.