Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Model slipways Yorkshireman  (Read 12915 times)

Stavros

Model slipways Yorkshireman
« on: June 03, 2007, 06:03:19 pm »

Now having just acquired one of these lovely tugs what I want to know is what motors to fit as at the moment it is fitted out with MFA 500 geared 2.5.1 coupled up to the original white metal props,with this set up th performance can only be described as PATHETIC I ran these on a 12v 7amps batt so they were getting plenty of power fed to them ,any suggestions as to set up and props and please don't suggest prop shop for props as they are a swear word as far as I am concerned cheers Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Model slipways Yorkshireman
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:31:04 pm »

Stavros dont know if this will help but Model Slipway do the motor set for the Yorkshireman:

Pack 1   540 motor (4.5-15v) w/ gearbox 6:1 (best on 12v)  = £20
coupling = £6.50
 £26.50

You will of course need two of these.

http://www.modelslipway.com/york.htm
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 07:59:01 pm »

I think the motors MSW supply for Yorkshireman are the MFA500 geared at 2.5:1!

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 08:02:49 pm »

Stavros,

The motors with 2.5:1 gearbox are best run on 6 volts.  If you wish to run on 12 volts it is advisable to use the motors geared 6:1 as DickyD suggested.

We usually stock brass propellers but unfortunately we are out of stock at the moment. However, Barry at Westbourne Model Centre will be able to supply suitable ones. Tel: 01202 763480.  Email: saleswestbourne@btconnect.com

Hope the above helps.
Jackie

Tom Eccles

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 08:31:26 pm »

Hi Stavros,
Firstly, ditch the props and buy decent ones
I have recently finished my Yorkshireman. When I started the build in 2002 Model Slipway supplied 2 x 6v 2.5:1 belt drive motors. After recovering sufficiently from the stroke to continue the build I contacted Model Slipway and they supplied 2 x 12v 540s with 6:1 integral gearboxes. I run these on a 12v 7ah battery and the model performs very well. Initially I ran both motors through 1 ESC but now use 2 x 15amp viper ESCs and a viper mixer unit.

On a good day she dances in our pond

Hope this helps
Tom

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 09:24:59 pm »

Excuse me is it mee being stupid(carefull on he replys !)but if you run the motors on 6v the boat would go slower ???,Jackie thanks for that I will contact Westbournes,If I use the 6:1 motors suerly it will go slower or is it me being silly.I know thta no tug is meant to be a speedy boat but? Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 09:31:07 pm »

The motors with 2.5:1 gearbox are best run on 6 volts.
If you wish to run on 12 volts it is advisable to use the motors geared 6:1

You are using MFA 500 geared 2.5.1
Model Slipway suggest 540 motor (4.5-15v) w/ gearbox 6:1 (best on 12v)

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 09:57:23 pm »

Thanks for that Dicky d but read my post previous to yours

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 10:05:52 pm »

Stavros,

If the Yorkshireman is anything like the Aziz, you use the 2.5:1 gearbox on 6V or the 6:1 gearbox on 12V - according to the MFA site the 2.5:1 gives 3000RPM at 6V and the 6:1 gives 2633RPM at 12V. So.....ISTM that what you want is a drive system that delivers 3000RPM at the prop.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 10:06:22 pm »

Stavros you are right of course and I cant tell you why 6v is better than 12v, but it doesn't really matter because according to Model Slipway you are using wrong motors anyway.
Maybe with that gearing 2.5:1 they are just more efficient on 6v  ???

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 10:21:27 pm »

THe main difference is the power consumption - 7W on 6V and 21W on 12V

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 09:53:04 am »

THe main difference is the power consumption - 7W on 6V and 21W on 12V

So if we have 7W at 3000 rpm and 12W at 2633, where is the extra power going ? Does this mean that at 12v it should have a bigger prop ?

Don B.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 12:24:58 pm »

Welcome to the wounderful world of electric motors - the extra power may not be being delivered to the prop, and the power consumed on 12V may be less than indicated, though this is the figure off the data sheet. The extra power is being lost because you are swinging the armature of the motor twice as fast - therefore your kinietic energy is four times greater - also your frictional losses are much greater.

Whether you canuse a bigger prop on 12V depends on the torque curve of the motor - it will only work if there is enough torque to turn the prop at that speed in the water. If not all you will end up doing is disspating more heat in the system.

If I understand it correctly, there is no point in having more torque than is needed to swing a prop in water at the required speed as that extra torque is wasted. You may find that the higher voltage is less efficient when driving a bigger prop.

Wom

Tom Eccles

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 07:27:57 pm »

Hi Stavros,

Further to my earlier reply.

I still have the original 6v motors . They are geared toothed belt drive and I found them a pain.

I ran the boat with the original motors then on the replacement 12v motors - before fitting the mixer - It may be subjective but for me the boat runs far far better on 12v. As for speed, Its a tug! mine goes as fast as I want it to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but may I suggest you ask Model Slipway what they advise.

Regards
Tom

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 07:32:50 pm »

Model Slipway have aleady told him on here.

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 07:55:22 pm »

Fair comment Dicky d having spoken to Jackie today all she can suggest is what she suggested all they are interested is scale speed they could not reccomend an alternative .Personally I can not see dropping from 12v to 6v will work for the simple reason the motors will run slower common sense tells me that and if that is the case well it will go slower but maybee that is the so called scale speed,if so what a load of Pooh Pooh as any slight wind on the lake and it will go backwards.To heck with it I will fit some MFA 850 then it will have the power and when not needed will also go at so called scale speed!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 08:46:28 pm »

Stavros, what you need are double hamster treadmills on each shaft consuming best quality millet delivered through 3/8th inch tube fed from a mini silo in the superstructure. This will give you a genuine running time of one hour. If you need more power then a couple of squirrels could be substituted but these should be swapped out within 40 minutes before they bite through the hull. Alternatively, just do what Jackie suggests.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 10:15:51 pm »

Stavros reading back on this item every one says to use 2/540 motors (4.5-15v) w/ gearbox 6:1 (best on 12v). Tom has these in his and says they are fine so why go for something different.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 10:36:30 pm »

Stavros,
The geared 540's are an equivalent to Deccaperms, but more torquey.
I would see what ballast she requires before deciding on 6 or 12 volts.
As you know she will take some ballast to get her down to her marks.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 11:49:45 pm »

Dickey d simple m8 when you sail on a PROPER lake what I mean by a PROPER lake and not a paddling pool you would understand why I need power.The lake I sail on is over 2miles long and 1/2mile wide and is very prone to wind so windage on tug versus poor performance motors(scale speed indeed)with this in mind now can you see why more power is needed,also If I need to tow anything power is needed it is after all a tug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shipmate 60 how the devil are you dried out yet??? as far as ballasting is in the question,on 2x6v rides too high 1x12v spot on know of any 850 going cheep!!!! those should give enough power don't you think.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 12:19:17 am »

To be honest mate the motors on 12 volts will be powerful enough.
I had a 550 geared 3:1 in my girl class tug with about a 70mm prop and she would plane.
If necessary up the prop pitch, but the motors should only pull 1-2 amps each, so plenty of duration.
have you got a boot full of 12 volt 4 Ah batteries yet for your patrol boat?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 12:29:11 am »

Working on the batts Bob trouble is with the yorkshireman is the size of both the props,small!! fair comment I understand what Jackie has said but scale speed does not mean a thing if you are fighting against the wind towing another boat!!!!! as you well know you need POWER me will have to have a serious think about this ;)maybee a pair of motors from the Happy Hunter or even a pair of 777's!!!!!!!!!! Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 08:26:19 am »

Sorry Stavros didn't realize you wanted to water ski ;D

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 09:08:03 am »

Hi Stavros and Dicky d
I can see which side of the pond you are both coming from
Dicky d where the kit states 540's with gear boxes to suit 6 or 12v thats fine if you want to sail around at scale ,i cant see anything wrong with that.
Stavros  you are thinking like me give it some beef  drop the tourque'st power plants you can find in with a pair of props big enough and with as much pitch as you can to pull the landing stage your stood on across the lake , in my Brakengarth i have the original motor and prop recommended from M.M.M. (they know about tugs) and at full chatt she creates an enormous bow wave and wake as she ploughs across the pond but with a tow the power is there for some scale towing .
Tugs ain't designed for speed and neither is a tractor ,but who would have thought 20 years ago that a tractor would be doing 50mph+ down the road (JCB fastrack)
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 09:11:20 am »

Hi Stavros
I run the Ormesby Cross on two MFA 850s direct drive. She performs great, with lots of power. I think they will be too fast for the Yorkshireman as the Ormesby weighs 54lbs fully ballasted.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.75 seconds with 22 queries.