Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model slipways Yorkshireman  (Read 12919 times)

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model slipways Yorkshireman
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 09:54:23 am »

I must jump to Stavros' side here.  The tug was clearly underpowered when he was sailing it last Sunday. (OK maybe it was just scale speed.) That day the weather was reasonable but he is right when he says that it just would not cope with the conditions which we sometimes encounter. 

I have a Northsider fitted with the largest motor that MMM supply driving a 115mm prop (yes its HUGE) running on 18 volts.

Sometimes when the wind is coming off Snowdon and being channelled down the valley along the lake, I need all the power available to make good headway against the wind and waves. The waves alone are difficult to power through and water can be flung up and over the boat as high as the funnel !

Most of the other boats have to creep up the bank to make headway. Stavros is right - with the recommmended setup the boat would be blown backwards at those times.

I would not claim to be knowledgeable on the technical bits of voltage - all I know is that the Northsider on 12 volts does not perform as well as it does on 18 volts. On 24 volts it is just too powerful.

Don B.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 04:49:24 pm »

Stavros,
You saw my Schutze at Mayhem, she has 2 x 777's in her and 4 blade 35mm props.
If you want your tug to keep up with her go for them, hehehe  :)
12 Volts a bit too fast, 6 volts pathetic.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 08:25:12 pm »

Now thats interesting Bob as I have just come back from routing in the shed and found 2 identical johnson motors mmm Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 09:00:11 pm »

and runs on 6 volts too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 10:08:40 pm »

Stavros,
If they are the motors I am thinking of they free rev at 6 volts at 9000 rpm.
Dont even think about 12 volts.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 08:46:48 am »

No mickey taking intended Stavros. I apologise.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 11:25:25 pm »

Thank you DickyD for being man enough to appologise Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 10:39:14 am »

So what motors and props you going with?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2007, 06:15:32 pm »

Ok Bob what are you doing home you supposed to be at sea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As for motors the jury is out on this one due to he fact I am awaiting new props and having read teh bumph on mfa motors wiht the ratios of 2;5;1 and 6;1 the rpms are nearly the same on 6v and 12 so I cant see the point in using them.As for 850's the prop angle is totally wrong for them due to the wood thta has been bonded to the hull,so me has to think,Having also looke dat 540's they dont deem to rev much better so i thnk I will have to look at poss hte motors out of the Happy Hunter possibly or the Graupener range.Yes of course I realise thta no tug is a speedy boat BUT one does not have to sail flat out all the time does one!!!!!!!!!!!!!If I can get something to give me say 8000+rpm on either 6or 12v I would be quite happy as I can throttle back but when I need the power for towing or beating the weather conditions at least I will have th power to do so If you gte what I am trying to say,boy if you can please let me know asap! stavros

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2007, 03:15:18 pm »

Hi Stavros,  Sent you a PM.

John.              POLL

Stavros

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2007, 09:50:42 pm »

Hi Poll no pm as yet

The_Ships_Cat

• Shipmate
  • Yorkie Builder
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2007, 12:07:10 am »

Hi Stavros , Writing as someone who has built a Yorkie may I offer the following advice. As stated before the white metal props are not suitable , I obtained my brass props from Model Slipway when I ordered the kit , I read they are out of stock so I would reccomend George Sitek . I experimented with various combinations of motors and found the best performance / running time was obtained by using a pair of Protech Mega X 720 BB Torque motors model number ME72102. These are direct drive and do not require a gearbox . I run these at 12 volts from a 12volt 7amp battery . These motors may be obtained from 308 Hobbies London for £18 each or Sussex Model Center for £12.80p each. Hope this is of use.

The Ships Cat

Tom_DK

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 07:26:16 pm »

Hi

I'm running my 540 1:2.5 motors at 12V in my Yorkshireman. I can only reccomend to use 12V as a ESC can adjust the speed anyway. No one tells you to run the Yorkshireman at full speed all the time. An other advantage using 12V no matter what motors are installed, is that the resistance in wirering and insde the ESC ect. is becomming less important than using 6 V. Thats also the reason why you local powerstation is using high voltage and you need to transform it to lower voltage.
So using 12V will give you a bit more Wh to the motors and less waste in heating losses.

Regards,
Tom

Tom_DK

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 08:21:18 pm »

By the way, I have chosen to use 20 PC of 1.2V /10.000 mAh NiMh batteries.

I had several 12V/7 Ah Pb Acid batteries, but I have never been able to measure higher capacity than 5.5 Ah on NEW cells. Comparing weigh and capacity I get double capacity and half weight by using NiMH and they have a much longer lifetime too. So my Yorkshireman has now 12V / 20 Ah inside, at the same weight than a normal 12V / 7 Ah acid would give me.
Only issue is that price is also x2 for the NiMH cells

Regards,
Tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.