Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: To our Australian friends  (Read 13264 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: To our Australian friends
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:52 am »

I reckon that this lad has a secret stash of Tim Tams. ;)
LB

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 12:01:13 pm »

Ahhh, Timtams, Lamingtons and Moreton Bay Bugs. Nostalgia's not what it was
Jerry.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2013, 07:23:33 pm »

:-)) Hi,to our Aussie mates down under I wonder if you can help me can anyone tell me where the young lad Ashton Agar comes from? I have some relations in Aus named Agar,which I believe came from Port Elizabeth, my aunt and myself exchanged Christmas cards for many years until one was sent back not known at this address two years ago,since then I have had no contact with them.I would be very proud to have such a talented young man as a relative,I don't know how common the name Agar is down under,regards,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2013, 11:21:07 pm »

Ashton Agar was born and grew up in Melbourne, Victoria.

More info here, http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/things-you-may-not-know-about-ashton-agar/story-fni2fnmo-1226678306817

Peter.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2013, 06:40:13 am »

:-)) Thanks for info.Peter,Ray. :-))
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2013, 12:11:21 am »

Well, the first Ashes test has been played and won. It was an unbelievably close, tense match, and the winning margin of 15 runs reflects that. Unfortunately, most of the press talk has been centred on poor umpiring decisions, affecting both teams, and perceived unsportsmanlike conduct by Stuart Broad, rather than the tight cricket. Unbelievably, he was cleared of breaching cricket's spirit, by his father who himself was often involved in controversy. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/13/stuart-broad-cleared-father-ashes

The question of whether to "walk" or not has been discussed many times, and opinion is severely divided. Some staunchly maintain that you play to the umpire's decision, others say if you know you're out, you walk. Former Aussie wicket keeper, Adam Gilchrist, once famously walked, even though the umpire had given him not out. Some sections of the press reviled him for letting his team down, while others praised him for very sportsmanlike conduct. I think a large majority of the Australian cricket loving public supported his action, believing it upheld the Aussie tradition of fair play. In Broad's case, the fact that he hit the ball was plain to see, and how the umpire missed it I do not know. All I will say is that umpire, Aleem Dar, has a history of monumental blunders, and how he continues to be appointed to major matches has me shaking my head.

That said, England is now 1 - 0 up in their defence of the Urn, and Australia has to put the loss behind them and focus on improving their performance if they want to bring the Ashes home.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2013, 12:36:01 pm »

Yes Peter, a superb game of cricket. I loved every minute of it and the Aussies really have shown what they are made of and can be very proud of their performance in the match. I look forward to the rest of the series.
As for the controversy, it was only controversial because the media chose to make it so. Broad did no differently to Michael Clarke, neither of them walked, preferring to let the umpire make the decision. The fact that he made a big error with Broad has nothing to do with the players. Personally, I like to see players walk, but I have to admit that these days, that is expecting far too much.

Roll on Thursday.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2013, 03:58:16 pm »

unsportsmanlike conduct by Stuart Broad, rather than the tight cricket. Unbelievably, he was cleared of breaching cricket's spirit, by his father who himself was often involved in controversy. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/13/stuart-broad-cleared-father-ashes

All I will say is that umpire, Aleem Dar, has a history of monumental blunders, and how he continues to be appointed to major matches has me shaking my head.

Peter.

Peter, I agree that batsmen should walk but it has to be universal and it cant be selective.   I am not sure how and why you think it is unbelievable Broad was cleared of unsportsmanlike behaviour?   Hadden clearly nicked the ball, granted not as much as Broad but he still nicked it and he would be aware of that but didn't walk.  So personally I don't see why Broad is pilloried and Hadden isn't.  Both nicked the ball, both knew it and both refused to walk an both times the umpire made the wrong decision.  I assume you mean that you find it unbelievable that Hadden also didn't walk and he should be banned? 

Sadly sportsmanship went out of cricket a long time ago.  Probably around the time that one nation considered it acceptable to bowl a last ball underarm to win a match!!! Countries name escapes me for a moment...........
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2013, 06:54:15 pm »

Whatever your views, I find that today (Monday) has been a bit flat without that nail-biting finish. Both sides played their part. I feel a bit sorry for the Aussies.....but that's cricket. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2013, 07:44:43 pm »

Whatever your views, I find that today (Monday) has been a bit flat without that nail-biting finish. Both sides played their part. I feel a bit sorry for the Aussies.....but that's cricket. BY.

Quite true Brian.....very flat today........but soon be Thursday!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2013, 09:10:17 pm »

The only real problem is that I have to choose between going to the lake on Sunday or listen/watch the test match!....better for me if it finishes on the saturday!. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:16 pm »

Take a radio with you.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2013, 12:47:40 am »

Mike, both Haddin and Clarke were rightly given out, but their nicks took modern technology to pick up. Both were so faint that only a very tiny mark showed on their bats, thanks to the hot spot camera. I seriously doubt if either batsman was aware of it, however, as Michael Clarke later said, when he saw the replay in the dressing room, it was the correct decision. Broad's, on the other hand, was so obvious I can't believe the umpire missed it.

The fact that Broad senior cleared his son of "breaching the spirit of cricket", after having previously banned West Indies keeper, Denesh Ramden for claiming a catch that had not carried, calls his impartiality into serious doubt.

I believe that sportsmanship went out of the game long before the disgraceful "Underarm Incident" >:-o  My mind goes back to the infamous Bodyline series, admittedly before my time, just :-)  something that, rightly or wrongly has remained in the Australian cricketing psyche ever since :o  Also, sportsmanship became even more of a rarity as the money involved increased.

Nevertheless, what happened in the first match is now history and, as Footski said, "Roll on Thursday.

Bryan, I hope it does finish on Saturday, with Australia winning inside 3 days {-)

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2013, 06:52:24 am »

Dream on Peter..... %% %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2013, 07:15:20 am »

Dream on Peter..... %% %%

I live in hope O0

Peter.

Stavros

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2013, 09:52:14 pm »

Oh Lord even I am turning English for this one  O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Dave

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2013, 10:28:19 pm »

I never thought I'd see the day when you said something like that, Dave {-) {-)

Peter.

Stavros

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:25 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

But I bet you there is WELSH blood in there SOMEWHERE

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 03:21:29 am »

Goodness :o .........I don't believe I have previously commented on this thread  >>:-( as I am not a cricket fan.........
However this mornings news is abysmal.......[the previous coach is taking Cricket Australia to the Fair Work Commission.......for unfair dismissal]
We also have a looming federal parliamentary  election...........   <:( <*<
I am not sure which display of incompetence is worse............
Bring back the Waugh brothers & John Howard may be the answer......... O0 ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:35 pm »

Sadly sportsmanship went out of cricket a long time ago.  Probably around the time that one nation considered it acceptable to bowl a last ball underarm to win a match!!! Countries name escapes me for a moment...........
I believe that underarm bowling was the norm until ladies started playing the game and couldn't do it in that fashion due to the crinoline skirts that they wore to play.!! Do agree that sportsmanship is a thing of the past in professional sport. 

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2013, 09:13:33 pm »

Well it looks like we have finally found a batsman who can do the job,
Joe Root is in the middle of the best innings at Lords by an Englishman since
Wally Hammond in 1938.  The Aussies have had a jinx on us at Lords but
it finally seems to have been overturned
Heading for a 2-nil lead
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2013, 09:26:58 pm »

don't count yer chickens Geoff, till the last abll  of the last over, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

English cricket is riddled with greater disasters than the Titanic %% %% %% %% <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2013, 09:47:47 pm »

......and there was me saying nothing, just enjoying it all, with a slight smile on my face........As Neil says, it is not over yet, but world records are now needed........either that or some snow!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2013, 10:47:11 pm »

I believe that underarm bowling was the norm until ladies started playing the game and couldn't do it in that fashion due to the crinoline skirts that they wore to play.!! Do agree that sportsmanship is a thing of the past in professional sport.

Couldn't agree more, also raises doubts about match/game fixing, yes even cricket <:( <:( <:(

Reminds me of that song "where has all the sport gone long time passing......."
Alas it is all about the money/sponsors/takings/etc >:-o >:-o >:-o
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »

My worst fears are being realised {:-{  The Australian batting has been woeful and, while the bowlers have tried hard, England is seemingly hitting them at will. I really thought that, after the close match at Trent Bridge, our batsmen would show more fight - how wrong I was.

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.