Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Racing Sparrow build  (Read 6978 times)

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
Racing Sparrow build
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:33:21 pm »

Thought I would try sending a photo of the racing sparrow i am building as have had problems resizing photo`s before so having a try again  {-)
Regards Peter.

kenthompson

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Racing Sparrow build
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:08:29 pm »

Looks very nice Peter,nice workmanship,well done
Ken

stoddy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:18:18 am »

Looks brilliant Peter especially as it's your first plank on frame.
Can I have an invite to the launch!
regards
Keith

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 06:59:30 pm »

Hi. keith,
Thanks, has turned out O K the sails are made but the rigging could cause me a problem working out how the rigging go from the sail arm to the booms  >>:-( that`s how I will be trying to get it to work ! it will be awhile before it gets wet but you are always welcome to call any time if in area for a cuppa and bring Sue hope you are both
Have you started on yours yet?
Regards Peter.

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:34:08 pm »

Back with a problem now fitted mast and jib sail and realised the hatch covers I have made stop the cord that come through deck between hatches to main sail is O K but how do I pass over hatches to feed jib sail, I bent a brass tube from hole to go over hatch and then realised I had a second cord from same hole would it work having two holes close together ? I have looked at other Sparrow builds but cannot see how others have overcome problem.
                       Your help would be welcome.
                         Peter.

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:41:10 pm »

Me again the ebook show cords running flat on decks but even flat hatches as plan would stand up and be in the way.
                     Thanks Peter.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 03:38:28 am »

Me again the ebook show cords running flat on decks but even flat hatches as plan would stand up and be in the way.
                     Thanks Peter.

Hi Peter

Looks like you are not getting any answers, perhaps I can help although I know nothing about this boat... Lovely job by the way...

I was just wondering if you can run the jib sheet forward from the winch below decks in a tube and come up through the deck at the jib fairlead point? That way you are passing UNDER the hatches. I guess an alternate may be a tube through the hatch, but presume they are removable so may not be practical...?

Amateur at work...

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:06:49 pm »

Hi mrpenguin
                 Unfortunately I have no access to under deck from back of mast forward without major removal of frames I think my best route is to have two holes close together one for main sail and in front of that a brass tube taking cable over hatches for jib sail I felt there may have been a alternative, as this is my first build I am open to any suggestions from members with far more experience than me, I am using a sail arm instead of a winch, thanks for your reply
                               Thanks Peter.

explorer750

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »

On my RG65 I used a raised eye to get over the problem of the radio pot. I also only ran 1 line up though the deck from the servo this split on deck and one went forward to the jib boom and the other to the main.

Seems to work for me.

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:30 pm »

Thanks Explorer
         That look a better method than my brass tube is that something you made as it is larger than standard eyes, I am not sure how you connected second cord to feed jib sail will it work by simply tying, thanks for reply
                 Regards Peter.

explorer750

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 08:10:26 pm »

The eye was a normal picture hook closed up and then epoxied into a spare bit of tube. Where it is mounted is removable so underneath it there is a locator pin into one of the frames just to add some extra strength. If I remember correctly the lines are just tried together. I think a drop of super glue on the knot helps, stops it coming undo and the cord fraying.

This is hopefully a better view.

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 08:26:48 pm »

Thanks again explorer
                               I understand now I have a lot to learn it makes sence, your boat look good the 650 may be my next build I get more enjoyment making than sailing thanks again.
                                                         Peter.

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 07:26:38 pm »

Just a few photos to show the finished racing sparrow I have enjoyed the challange of plank on frames the first time round so now thinking for another model yacht to take on ? any suggestions, about the same size for transporting 750 max as I  am not sure which yachts are plank on frames from plans.
              Thanks for the help I have had on this one
               Regards Peter.

stoddy

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 12:24:11 am »

Well done Peter, looks stunning.
regards
Keith

kenthompson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 09:43:17 am »

Hi Peter
 Well done mate she looks really well, a good inspiration to others to have a go at planking.
Good luck with your next model.
Regards
Ken.

KIWINB

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 07:22:53 am »

Very nice work. I recently completed a Sparrow RG650, link to the site and thread, http://racingsparrow.freeforums.org/new-rg65-finished-t75.html

I elected to lower the rear deck and run the rudder tube up through the lowered deck. No chance of water leaking up the rudder tube!!. The rudder servo is waterproof and sits into the deck. Thus only 1 hatch to seal.
I fitted a wire clip to the side of the mast to retain the jib sheet under control.
I also did the planked deck, a lot of work but the effect is great.
The sails are slightly larger than the plan (just under the max limit).

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »

Hi Kiwinb
      I think I have seen your sparrow build with the lowered rear deck but as it was my first build I kept to the plans as I did not want to change things and then regret it, by the way I think it looks better lowered those things will come on future builds          As I said on a earlier post I have bought a plan for a Norfolk Wherry as I have lived here all my life and am a member of the caravan club and it is their pennant symbol for Norfolk it will look good in the front window while on sites. I would like some help from any modeler who have built a wherry hull in the past I only intend keeping to the plan size as I do not plan fitting servos I asume ply for deck but would like suggestions on timber recommended  for hull please and then plank on top of ply for deck.                                 
                                          Thanks Peter.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 03:42:28 pm »

Hello Peter
Just come across your build and she looks a treat no doubt will also sail well. Well done I will be interested in seeing your next project.
Regards Chris G

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 04:39:00 pm »

Thanks ChrisG
I have started to build a Norfolk Wherry only 340 mm long from plans from model boats it is proving a challange trying to bend the planking timber front and back do to the tight bends I am soaking it first it seem to be working.
                                   Regards Peter.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 04:50:07 pm »

I don't think I am clever enough to build a planked sailing boat from scratch, I have a Billing Yawl part completed awaiting rigging and the courage to start it again. The planking on that hull was fun and not to be rushed but made easy with the frames pre cut and comprehensive build instructions.
Display model only and after some careful filling with P38 have achieved a very acceptable hull finish although painted. It is about 650mm with bowsprit big enough to get rather large fingers in.
Must build a R/C yacht soon, such good fun.
Regards Chris G

Peter Herwin

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 05:36:14 pm »

Hi Chris
                    This is so small they recommend to double the size if fitting servo`s but I intend to use it for desplay only if it works out ok. I got great pleasure building the Sparrow its not to bad working from a plan be brave and have a go.
                                Cheers peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.