Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BISMARCK WRECK DIORAMA.  (Read 8075 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
BISMARCK WRECK DIORAMA.
« on: June 24, 2013, 05:29:32 pm »

A box arrived for me this morning courtesy of Frank (hmsantrim)...he very kindly sent me a model of the Bismarck (Revell 1/700), a board and some glue and paints, all for nothing...so a big, BIG THANK YOU FRANK!

I set too in making the model up, drilled out the turret centres and inserted some plastic core, added 16'' shell damage, stern removed and internal structure shown, funnel damaged and removed. Sprayed and lightly sanded with very, very fine sand. Once all dry it will weathered and boarded.

Some mid-point pics.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BISMARCK WRECK DIORAMA.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:33:06 pm »

Some more pics of the model with detailing washes. Bit more painting to do and then the board to make. Had a look at various pictures of the wreck and found out that the sediment from the slide covers the deck, slight concretion growth and a lot of Anemones cover the hull-hence the white washes. So far it is looking rather good I think, when the final washes are applied and the board is complete and the ship glued it should look even better. So far, I'm pleased.  By the way, I have left off the swastikas bow and stern.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »

After studying some more wreck pictures I have added further damage and a couple of extra pieces, further paint washes added.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »

Looking really authentic Si:-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:42:35 pm »

Why have you left the swastikas off? please don't tell me it is so they don't offend, they are on the real ship and like it or not it is part of its history.. Bit like renaming Guy Gibson's dog in the new film, we may not use that word now but then it was acceptable, we should not meddle with history.
Apart from that I think these dioramas are very good.
I will finish this model

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:42:56 pm »

Cheers Ned, glad you like it...I have made one mistake...the funnel should be more removed  {:-{  never mind.

Fun model to build and even at this small scale easy for me.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »

Hi Rob, nothing regarding offending just was unsure of the delicate nature of painting them with my disability, despite the fact they are faded and worn etc didn't want to mess it up. I may add some light detail later. Glad you like my dioramas.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:23:10 pm »

You  certainly can make a cra**y looking model Eddie  O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 06:12:18 pm »

LOL, cheers Ian, this model started off easy...now it has become difficult  >:-o  I have added the seaplane catapult as that was still on the wreck, added the propshafts and propellers with one of the rudders bent and in-bedded into the central prop...this is what caused her to go around in circles. But, I have now found out that both sides of the hull-from bilge to around midpoint along 100 ft of her length was ripped off by compression of the lower hull impacting on the sea floor. Got to figure this out...how to cut it and then make inner hull parts. :-)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:37:28 am »

Here is a three views of her with various added bits as I found new information. Also added the Swastikas in a very faint fashion.

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:24:13 pm »

hi si,
how many hours a day do you spend doing all this splended work, do you have to sit and think as you go along, our is there a plan in your head  {-) .  looking good.

david

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 02:28:45 pm »

Hi David, I find that once I have started a model I have to see it through to completion. I spend around 2 to 4 hours a day, depending on what stage I am at. A plan...plan you say...pfttttt...don't talk daft...just go with the flow man  :D Actually I do some research on the models prior to the build, in this case more details came to light after I had built her...most was small details like seaplane catapult still in situ, a mast against rear turret, turned out to be a crane and the compression damaged hull, that has been fun...not  >:-o  to try and do. So, lesson for this build is to do your homework prior to building...problem is...I get too excited and want to build it NOW! :embarrassed:

Thanks for commenting and pleased you like my work.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 06:00:36 pm »

Looks very good, frustrating when as you say "find something new" like you take on plans as well {-)
I will finish this model

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:35 pm »

This book, Killing the Bismarck by Ian Ballantyne http://www.amazon.co.uk/Killing-Bismarck-Destroying-Pride-Hitlers/dp/1844159833 makes very interesting reading.
Basically the job was done by HMS Rodney with limited support from King George V. However, Rodney had been en route to the US for a much needed refit and only had armour piercing shells aboard which pretty much took apart Bismarck but was unable to detonate her magazines as she had no high explosive ammunition to start fires. After knocking out Bismarck's main armament Rodney was only able to punch holes through her. It took torpedoes to actually sink her although some still insist it was the scuttling that sank Bismarck.
Although an older ship, Rodney was actually a more sophisticated design then Bismarck which was based upon the WW1 Baden design with the vital controls running above the armoured deck which meant that she was rapidly put out of action when hit. The 'toughness' of the Bismarck was largely due to her great beam and compartmentation which made her difficult to sink. In this respect she was similar to the ships of the High Seas Fleet of WW1 which were effectively knocked out as fighting units but stayed afloat due to their subdivision. (Except for Lutzow)
In fact the Bismarck design compares poorly to the British G3 battlecruiser design of 1923 which would probably have wiped the floor with her!
Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 08:11:33 pm »

Hi Si

Looking very realistic, keep up the good work. :-))

With regards to Colin Bishops post about the books, that particular book is very good as is 'Rodney- Bismarck Slayer' and 'HMS Rodney' also by Ian Ballentyne. The scuttling of the Bismarck is something I have always disbelieved due the destruction of Bismarck's bridge early in the battle, who would have given the order? Personally I think it was propaganda on behalf of the Nazi regime to to prevent the Royal Navy claiming they had sunk her- after all who would want to admit that your brand new battleship had been sunk by a 20 year old battleship?
If the G3 battlecruiser would have easily destroyed the Bismarck, the proposed M3 battleship would have been a nastier surprise for the Bismarck's crew! The myth of the Bismarck needs to be told properly for both sides, these books seem to go someway towards correcting history.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 04:02:06 pm »

Hi Si.
 some more study of the subject for your superdetailing... {-)
Frank
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPppKecj-aI
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alEmoFkAlpo

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 05:12:37 pm »

Hi Guys, here are the final pictures of her is situ with damaged hull section and all the weathering/painting done. Thanks guys for the info on her and ta Frank for the links, I hope I have done her and you justice in doing this model.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:15 pm »

:-))  Good stuff . . . way beyond my capability , tho' I dont think you'll be doing HMS HOOD , not enough left of it I think  <:( . . . Didn't HMS BELFAST put the finishing touches to the BISMARCK with torp's ?
Bill

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 10:12:18 pm »

Hi Bill, thank you for the kind comments. I think it was Dorsetshire that fired the last couple of torpedoes with one hit.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 10:28:06 pm »

Hi Si.
 RE: I think it was Dorsetshire that finished her off. Correct Dorsetshire delivered the COUP DE GRACE.
 Frank.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »

Thanks for that Frank. :-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 09:49:40 pm »

Another notch on your belt I think  O0
No doubt you will soon get that sinking feeling again. Tanks and landing craft might be an idea for you?
I might try a diorama myself ... non sunken - can't have my fingers getting wrinkly.

Dave

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 10:11:53 pm »

Thanks Dave, this was a good one to do. However, my disability has flared up, brought on by a fall at the weekend down the stairs so will be taking this easy for a while, no more modelling for a while. All my sunken models are going to the Kirklees Model Boat Club Gala day on the 14th, so want to be ready for that.

I do have a sunken sub to do-USS Scorpion, but that will have to wait.

Sparky

• sparky
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45:49 pm »

Si .. get well soon mate, and when you do   --  TAKE IT EASY !  sorry about the shout,

but we really need you to get better and building and posting again!!

All the best mucker,  :-))

Vic

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 10:53:08 pm »

Ta Vic, will take it easy. I need a good shouting at at times  :D

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.