Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Iran's Envoy tug build  (Read 16395 times)

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Iran's Envoy tug build
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 07:45:42 pm »

Thanks for the link Andy. I looked at those couplings and found the Model Boat Bits coupling more suitable for this installation. With all of the various steam parts coming from the EU which will take some time, I started working on fitting the rudder and the main casting to the hull. The moulding of the keel to the hull did not come out perfectly vertical  <*< <*< <*< and created a problem installing the rudder mount casting. It is difficult to see in the picture but the keel is slightly angled to starboard. Unfortunately  :(( I will have to work with it as it is. I have no idea if this is just a bad layup or is typical with this hull.

The rudder support and hinges need a good deal of work to get a reasonable fit. The pic shows the rough workup of the rudder mount. Nothing spectacular but a lot of work.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 12:31:25 am »

The rudder is temporarily in place. I spent a lot of hours on this. Nothing lined up including the plastic rudder halves cutouts, the rudder hinges and the rudder mount. I just hope that this is the worst of getting parts to fit. BTW, when they say that once the rudder is in it is in. The only way this is going to be removable is if the rivet holding the bottom of the rudder bracket to the hull becomes a removable fastener. Make sure you have the rudder exactly as needed before assembling to the hull.

Next update wont be for a few days.

Cheers,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 02:32:33 am »

I spent the last couple of days fitting the decks, making spacers, and some of the hatches. I have enough now to start considering the location of the Steam Plant components.

The first picture shows where the boiler must go. With the deck properly in place, the stack is located directly under the ships smoke stack shown by the sloppily placed main deck. With the boiler in this position and making the wheelhouse removable as well as the hatch will give me access to all of the necessary connections. This creates a monster with all of the rigging involved. If I turn the boiler around, I can't get to any of the connections as there is no access between the rear of the front hatch and the front of the rear hatch with the engine just under it.

The second picture just shows the boiler standing alone and the third shows the boiler and fuel tank which will just be accessible through the main forward hatch. I see in the pic that the fuel output fitting is pointing the wrong way. The fuel tank can be reversed. The only remaining issue is where to locate the puke tank. It could go forward which would put it under the wheel house or I may find some room behind the engine going aft.

So it is rubber meets the road time and I suggestions will be welcomed.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 06:30:01 pm »

I have a problem. I assembled the rudder per the plan including the rudder post bearing within the hull. The way I see the plans, the instructions, and the side view of the Envoy on the cover of the instruction manual, the rudder can lift up out off the pintals. I am including some pictures of what the assembly looks like. It appears that the pot metal on the rudder stock does not extend up into the bearing above the hull. I believe it is this close fit within the bearing that keeps the rudder from becoming unshipped. I have an email to Model Slipways but perhaps someone who has built this model can look at the pictures and tell me what is wrong.

Thanks,

IR3

Note that the rudder frame has not been permanently mounted yet.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 10:59:56 am »

It looks like the rudder tube should be coming out through the bottom of the hull. This will stop the rudder itself from lifting.

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 11:20:05 am »

No, You do have this correct, Or at least it's the same way as I built mine.

I noticed this problem myself but carried on with the build and you will find that once the deck and the rudder hatch cover is in place the rudder really can't lift up that far as it will hit the cover.

I ended up measuring the amount of lift I could get before the rudder post hit the hatch then glued an equivalent length spacer on top of the rudder post above the rudder arm. I just used a stack of plasticard left over from the rest of the boat. Add a spot of grease on the top then clip the hatch cover in place and no more chance of it lifting off.  :-) 
Looks like I got a bit carried away when I used the car body filler around the rudder post!  :}

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 11:41:40 am »

Probably a bit late this but I also noticed the mis-match between the metal rudder post and the plastic rudder cut out's.
After a while I concluded the metal rudder post had probably contracted when the white metal it is made from had cooled and was therefore too short so what I did is cut the rudder post between each hinge pin then using the rudder as a guide pieced it back together and pinned it to the bench.

This off course left gaps where it had been cut but an electrical soldering iron and some standard solder stuck it back together very easily. Once I'd soldered all 4 sides and filed it smooth again the strength was returned and it now fitted perfectly.

I suspect the mould for this part was made from a master that fitted the boat perfectly but white metal does shrink a fair amount when it cools so the finished parts end up being too small.

Craig.

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 04:18:11 pm »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the input on the rudder assembly. It does seem a bit irregular to use a spacer under the rudder hatch cover to compensate but it does work. With this now under control, I will be permanently attaching the rudder frame and get this part out of the way.

BTW, you Envoy build looks great.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 07:58:28 pm »

I managed to get a bit done over the holiday. The Steering and Forward/Reverse Servos are installed but still need to permanently install the rudder. It will probably get done after painting the hull and priming the interior of the boat. I am waiting for various items to come in from England and Europe. It's too bad that very little for steam engines is available in the states so it's hurry up and wait. I would be putting the rear deck on but I think I can get the puke tank mounted between the forward spacer and the engine. I am waiting for delivery of a 90cc tank which should be perfect for the T2DR.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 10:23:49 pm »

I haven't stopped work on this project, just not much to report. I am still waiting parts for the steam plant, which is a very frustrating process since most of the stuff must be ordered outside the US, and not very time friendly. Since this is an admiralty tug, I have been working on the accessories such as ammo boxes and other support boxes. There is a lot of them including PE which I loathe doing.

Just to add to the frustration, I ordered couplings with an M5 thread on one end and a 4mm shaft on the other end. I waited out the long delay to get them only to find that the shaft end is 5mm instead of 4mm. Just adds one frustration to the heap.

I did receive the parts from Winfried and as usual, superb. I also now have a handful of Saito fittings. As soon as I find a condenser and appropriate fuel tank, I will be determining dimensions while in the hull and the put the system together on the bench and get it all working properly.

More to come as soon as I complete the collection of the components.

Cheers,

Iran

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 02:23:36 am »

Another while waiting story. To get more access to the steam plant, it was suggested that another hatch be provided. On the deck of the Envoy, there is very little space to add a hatch except for one place. I built a hatch under the Tow Hook. With this hatch I can place the fuel tank directly under this hatch. There is no rigging that is attached to the Tow Hook platform so this turns into a no brainer. Another step closer to installing the steam plant.

Pardon the poor pictures but the concept is clear. The first pic is from the top of the deck, the second is from the bottom, and the third is with the Tow Hook platform in place.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 04:32:44 am »

I'm still here. I am still waiting for some condensers from Europe to finalize the layout of the steam plant so I have been building most of the accessories. The pics show the rudder hatch, the main hatch with one of the tow bars, the pipeline, and the tow hook. The rear deck is in place along with the bulwarks braces. They need trimming and the cap rails need to be placed. This will happen once I get to the point where I can paint. I am holding off on the forward deck until the steam plant is completely designed. Getting to the boiler will require removing at least the wheelhouse and this has some complications to deal with.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 01:55:57 am »

The Aft end is nearly done. I need to install the railings, accent some of the parts with black paint. Thank goodness for the Salvage Pumps and the Merryweather valve. If not for those I could have just dipped the entire model in a vat of gray paint. Everything hatch is removable to get to the rudder and steam plant. Painting is not my best effort, in fact, I hate painting which is why I picked the Admiralty version. Chip rust and slap on gray.

Until next time,

IR3

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 11:28:10 am »

That takes me back.....  :-)

Looking great and you are building at a pace, Took me months before I even thought about paint!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on progress.

Craig.

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
  • If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 01:12:12 am »

Looking good , keep up the good work .

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2013, 06:52:20 am »

Thanks for all the kind words.  :-)) I have tried in every which way to stuff the 3 and 1/2" Macsteam boiler into the hull but it is a no go. <:( I will be substituting Miniature Steam Models 3" boiler which should be easier to shoe horn in. The Macsteam boiler will find a place in another model in the future. So for now, I will be detailing the Pilot House and the hatch holding the stack. Hopefully the new boiler will be expedited and be ready to install when I finish with the detail work.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:15 pm »

I started fitting the main deck and the main hatch. The hull required two spacers (not shown) to get the proper shape at the deck line. Still waiting for the 3" boiler but I can get a lot of work done relative to the main deck before fixing the deck permanently.

Until next time,

IR3

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 09:27:30 am »

Really enjoying seeing your build Iran, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Alex

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 11:12:01 pm »

Thank you. I managed to build up the Mizzen mast. Some of the parts are a bit below my normal working size. The turnbuckles for the fore stays are in and will be hand painted when the rigging is in. Also the two rear braces for the stack are in. The forward braces go through the deck and will be dealt with later.

Time to start the foremast. Still waiting news on the new boiler.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 01:14:17 am »

The fore mast is roughed in. The exact position of the mast still needs to be determined but I will cut out a ladder section that is slightly too long and trim to suit. The railings around the searchlight platform tested my nerves. All of the rigging points are installed and the spars will be turned and installed later tonight. I finally have some action on the 3" boiler so it should be here in a week or so. I can mate the two halves of the pilot house and there is a load of detailing to be done. I will be kept busy.

Oh, BTW, I added the shields to the Oerlikon guns so I guess this is no longer an Envoy. Of course, all of my models are after the first refitting from severe battle action so there can't be any complaints about inaccuracies or construction flaws.  :}

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2013, 11:19:00 pm »

The foremast is basically finished. The ladder is a bit longer than needed and will be fitted once the mast is partnered with the pilot house. Now it is on to building up and detailing the pilot house itself. I was hoping to have the foredeck in place so I can correctly shape the base of the pilot house but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Until next time,

IR3

escipion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 05:33:21 pm »

Hello!!!
Really looking great, nice details   :-))

Best regards

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 10:04:00 pm »

The boiler finally arrived and I am submitting a first layout of the major components. All the items so far are accessible through removable hatches. I am also hoping that I can remove the wheelhouse without too much trouble. I think the only rigging issue is the fore mast fore stay. The aerials can all be installed with small hooks at the ends of the insulators and will be removable.

I put a lot of detail on the wheelhouse and did some painting. Painting is my worst suit so I will not elaborate too much with pictures.

Following is a picture of the initial steam plant layout. The fuel tank is accessible through the removable towing hook deck. The puke tank and the boiler are accessible through the main hatch. The only issue is going to be access to the burner. Hopefully this will be accomplished by removing the pilot house. I am also considering a water pump driven by the steam engine. This will require I find space for the water tank.

Until next time,

IR3

BTW: THIS LAYOUT WILL REQUIRE A 10" FUEL LINE FROM THE TANK TO THE BURNER. IT WILL BE INSULATED SO I HOPE THERE WILL NOT BE MUCH OF A LOSS.

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 07:23:14 pm »

A lot of the cabin structure is complete. Once I am sure I can get the steam plant out the foredeck will be glued in and I can get on to the finishing stages of the build. I have parts of the steam plant mounted on the tray and am waiting for some copper tubing from the local hobby shop to start with the steam line and associated accessories.

More to follow soon.

IR3

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:59 pm »

Looking good :) I've only ever built one kit which is the model slipway tsekoa (still under construction and I'm back on to building it now) and I must say they do seem to make lovely kits :)
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.